PDA

View Full Version : Zaino'ed the Saab yesterday

Jason C
09-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Took over 8 hours (since it was new and had never been done before, no step could be skipped - dawn, claybar and all that).

6 coats total, 3 Z2 and 3 Z5 all with ZFX so I didn't have to wait 12-24 hours between coats. Finished with Z6, although it seemed superfluous. I missed some water spots on the hood unfortunately. I wonder how the hell I could have done so with the claybar (especially since every other panel came out close to 100%). When you try to rub them out after a few coats are on, you'll notice that you can't - they're under the coating and unless you strip everything off again, are there to stay.

Wow, what a pain in the ass. Sure, people say it's easy to use. I think they're only referring to the ease of taking Z2/Z5 off when it has properly cured. Even then, you'll want very, very good lighting from multiple angles if you want to take everything off in a single pass. I didn't have good lighting, thus I was reduced to multiple passes trying to get rid of all the gray hazy polish.

Others have said that it reduces the look of scratches. Um let me think about this for a moment... no. It's so clean that all the damn scratches just pop out at you. Sad. The pitfalls of jet black clearcoated paint - what many (myself included) consider to be THE most pita to keep clean.

Still, it does shine up nicely. I'd say it's nicer than showroom right now, but it won't be in about 48 hours. I don't have a digital camera, so no pics unless ayn drops by. :)

I'm off to order a california duster, and more Z6. Leather products come later.

blee
09-12-2005, 01:12 PM
When did you get a Saab?

Speaking of Zaino, I've got to give my car a real detail before winter sets in. With all of the things going on lately, I think I've washed it four times since I bought it.

Jason C
09-12-2005, 01:15 PM
When did you get a Saab?

Speaking of Zaino, I've got to give my car a real detail before winter sets in. With all of the things going on lately, I think I've washed it four times since I bought it.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=5404

Actually come to think of it my friend over at SJ state had a huge digital cam. Maybe I should give him a call.

I don't think you've posted pics of your car other than that one time when you just got it.

blee
09-12-2005, 01:27 PM
http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=5404

Actually come to think of it my friend over at SJ state had a huge digital cam. Maybe I should give him a call.

I don't think you've posted pics of your car other than that one time when you just got it.
Oh, duh. I remember now.

Yeah, haven't posted many pics. Come to think of it, haven't taken many pics either. Been too dirty. :(

Jason C
09-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Bah, I walked outside and already I could notice the fine layer of dust on it (that wasn't there 12 hours ago).

Fuck it. It may clean nicely, but when it comes times for my own car, I'm staying the hell away from black. I want to spend some time actually driving, not cleaning.

Rob
09-12-2005, 03:00 PM
California duster for teh win!! Ask me how I know . . .

you just have to be prepared for using a duster on black paint when it comes time to polish.

Rob
09-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Oh, and where are the pictures?

lemming
09-12-2005, 07:36 PM
that's a lot of work, man.

blech.

i'm so lazy now i just do one coat of polish and then throw polymer on it (1 of 3 kinds at random) and i'm done for about three months.

EDIT add'n: C5 paint is so sucky i'm never motivated to detail the car.

Jason C
09-16-2005, 03:27 PM
California duster for teh win!! Ask me how I know . . .

you just have to be prepared for using a duster on black paint when it comes time to polish.

I've ordered a special 3-pack, which comes with an exterior duster, a smaller interior duster, and (just for teh win) a water blade. Should be in by next friday.

Hoping this really helps.

Rob
09-16-2005, 05:43 PM
I do not think the water blade will help keep the dust off the car. Honestly, I really don't recommend using the water blade for any dusting functions. :p

I still use one to dry the car off though. The dusters will leave marks occastionally, but they are light and easy to get out.