PDA

View Full Version : JST- Re: E34 M5s

TD
11-21-2003, 11:13 AM
zcasavant was so kind as to PM me a link to this auction- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6131&item=2443935287

Where's that drool smiley? If only it were a wagon. Then again, I already have a wagon.

JST
11-21-2003, 11:44 AM
zcasavant was so kind as to PM me a link to this auction- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6131&item=2443935287

Where's that drool smiley? If only it were a wagon. Then again, I already have a wagon.

:jawdrop: Dude, it's even got a cloth interior. That's spectacular. The miles are kind of on the high side (I keep coming back to that silver one at Curry's as the benchmark), but it's the right color, has the right interior, and is a 3.8.

Despite what I said in the other thread about the driving dynamics of E34s, this has a collectible cache that makes it worth it.

Ask Rob about it. Then buy it.

zach
11-21-2003, 11:48 AM
TD,

I just realized it's in connecticut. If you are serious about it, I'll go check it out and take pics if you want.

bren
11-21-2003, 12:30 PM
I was going to post something about how cool that cloth interior is, but I think JST covered it with spectacular http://bimmerforums.com/forum/images/smilies/suave.gif

FC
11-21-2003, 12:56 PM
If only it were a wagon. Then again, I already have a wagon.

:? Yeah, WTF TD. I mean, I love wagons, but one is plenty.

I think this is just about all you have been asking for. :D

lemming
11-21-2003, 12:57 PM
that car is nothing but trouble.

:smile:

i think that one of us SHOULD inspect it and anyone who claims to add 30-40hp with a K&N low restrictionn intake and exhaust just lost all credibility with me.

not to mention money pit city.

c'mon TD, if you're going to old, might as well go aircooled porkchop.

FC
11-21-2003, 01:02 PM

i think that one of us SHOULD inspect it and anyone who claims to add 30-40hp with a K&N low restrictionn intake and exhaust just lost all credibility with me.

Hey PDZ, how come you sold your 993? :? I still drool everytime I see one. BTW, was it a blue one? I saw one for sale for a while that just looked awesome, and it seemed to be in the area. Price was firm. The picture showed the rear right quarter. Was that yours?

zach
11-21-2003, 01:10 PM

My girlfriend's family has a house near where this M5 is located. I may just go check it out for my own purposes. Yes, it is likely to need some maintenance. However, as a THIRD car, it would be wonderful.

SpaceMonk
11-21-2003, 01:44 PM
:jawdrop: Dude, it's even got a cloth interior. That's spectacular. The miles are kind of on the high side (I keep coming back to that silver one at Curry's as the benchmark), but it's the right color, has the right interior, and is a 3.8.

Despite what I said in the other thread about the driving dynamics of E34s, this has a collectible cache that makes it worth it.

Ask Rob about it. Then buy it.

zach
11-21-2003, 01:55 PM
The more I think about it, the more I feel that this car belongs in a good home. I can't afford it, nor do I have the resources to care for it. Hopefully, the right person will end up with this car.

lemming
11-21-2003, 01:59 PM

Hey PDZ, how come you sold your 993? :? I still drool everytime I see one. BTW, was it a blue one? I saw one for sale for a while that just looked awesome, and it seemed to be in the area. Price was firm. The picture showed the rear right quarter. Was that yours?

um, i was bored. to be honest. it was an underwhelming driving experience, even at the track.

i would rather have the 993tt or a 997 or a 997tt.

but i still would not advise anyone i consider a friend to buy that M5.

FC
11-21-2003, 02:07 PM
um, i was bored. to be honest. it was an underwhelming driving experience, even at the track.

Interesting. I am about through with older cars. My old benz is it for me. I could never spend that kind of cash on an old performace car. It seems like it would spend half the time being fixed. Unless it's a 1954 300SL Gullwing. But if you can own one of those, then money is not an issue.

zach
11-21-2003, 02:07 PM

I completely understand about the M5. It's very possible that it will be a nightmare to maintain. However, I went through the same issues (on a smaller scale) when deciding between a new 330i and e36 M3/4. The M3 has had (more than) its share of problems, but I'd be bored with a 330 by now. In addition, I really enjoy the charm of the e36 and e34.

lemming
11-21-2003, 02:30 PM

I completely understand about the M5. It's very possible that it will be a nightmare to maintain. However, I went through the same issues (on a smaller scale) when deciding between a new 330i and e36 M3/4. The M3 has had (more than) its share of problems, but I'd be bored with a 330 by now. In addition, I really enjoy the charm of the e36 and e34.

i agree with you, as the e34 is my favorite 5 series out of the e28, the e39, and the e60 crop. but even comparing the e36m3 to that car is a world of difference in the way Munich went about building its M motors and the amount of upkeep they require. valve adjustments being one of the the tops on my list.

the euro e36m3 had the same issues, but compared with the s52 "US" m motor, these are really serious things to ponder. and then, if you drive your e36m3 back to back with an e34, it's a reminder again of how high the bar was raised with the e36 chassis. the steering rack, the feel, the braking and structural rigidity are a world apart.

Doug
11-21-2003, 03:13 PM
Where's that drool smiley?

:drool:

blee
11-21-2003, 04:37 PM
Wow, beautiful. Now there's a car worth selling something else for. :)

bren
11-21-2003, 11:01 PM
maybe these cars aren't so rare in the North East...Look Here (http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/classifieds/cars/detview.php?prevnextbuttons=allf&view=21239)