PDA

View Full Version : Would I regret selling my M3?

TD
11-20-2003, 01:33 PM
Of course, only I can really answer that. But I haven't done the requisite soul searching yet.

I really am wondering if I'd regret it.

ZHPhil
11-20-2003, 01:39 PM
Yes because of the driving experience :cry:

No because you would save ~ $100/month in tickets :undwech:

dan
11-20-2003, 01:42 PM
What would be the rationale for trading it for an MCS or whatever you end up with?

Maintenance costs mainly? Although that would eliminate an older P-car.

zach
11-20-2003, 01:44 PM
Of course, only I can really answer that. But I haven't done the requisite soul searching yet.

Yes.

FC
11-20-2003, 01:48 PM

Given that I don't think I have EVER heard you complain about your car, and all the mods, I think you would regret it. But it depends on what you are getting rid of it for.

TD
11-20-2003, 01:50 PM
What would be the rationale for trading it for an MCS or whatever you end up with?

Maintenance costs mainly? Although that would eliminate an older P-car.

Not maintenance costs. I have some costs assocaited with tires and brakes, but doing a lot of things myself, it doesn't cost that much. I honestly would rather have an out-of-warranty car I can work on myself than have a full maintenance and under warranty new car.

I need to pull an "rwg" and go testdrive some alternative to remind me that I really want to keep my car forever.

It's that "I've had my car awhile and have a hankering for something different" itch. No specific complaint about my car. Objectively, I still love my car.

Although I can't shake the idea of an E34 M5 or even E34 540i M-sport.

dan
11-20-2003, 01:52 PM
Not maintenance costs. I have some costs assocaited with tires and brakes, but doing a lot of things myself, it doesn't cost that much. I honestly would rather have an out-of-warranty car I can work on myself than have a full maintenance and under warranty new car.

I need to pull an "rwg" and go testdrive some alternative to remind me that I really want to keep my car forever.

It's that "I've had my car awhile and have a hankering for something different" itch. No specific complaint about my car. Objectively, I still love my car.

Then I think you would absolutely regret it.

zach
11-20-2003, 02:13 PM

Then I think you would absolutely regret it.

I agree. I decided a few weeks ago that I'll keep mine for a long while. There really isn't THAT much that can go wrong on these cars, and every time I drive it, I smile.

TD, your M3 is a particularly nice specimen. I enjoy the fact that the M3 sedans are rare, and that they represent the BEST compromise between performance and practicality.

I suppose I'm biased though.

lemming
11-20-2003, 02:16 PM
short term: yes.

long term: no.

Doug
11-20-2003, 02:54 PM
Jawknee, on Bfest and other places, sold his 328 to get a 350Z. Now he's looking for an M3/4 to replace the new 350Z....any questions?

ayn
11-20-2003, 03:16 PM
Jawknee, on Bfest and other places, sold his 328 to get a 350Z. Now he's looking for an M3/4 to replace the new 350Z....any questions?

I didn't know he did that, he had a super nice 328Ci!

--Andrew

Plaz
11-20-2003, 03:16 PM
Drive the Saab to work for a week.

Then the following week, return to your M3/4, and ask yourself this question again.

Plaz
11-20-2003, 03:17 PM
you would save ~ $100/month in tickets

Ouch. Man, east coast enforcement really does suck.

I have a feeling my tab is going to be looking like that once we move back.

:shock:

lemming
11-20-2003, 03:27 PM

well.

with all due respect, it was a 350Z. chassis and engine of all trades and you're bound to not necessarily like what you get, even if you load it up as the "track" edition.

i'd have pulled a TD and gone straight into the m3/4. :smile:

TD
11-20-2003, 03:33 PM
you would save ~ $100/month in tickets

Ouch. Man, east coast enforcement really does suck.

I have a feeling my tab is going to be looking like that once we move back.

:shock:

Enforcement has not traditionally been bad around here.

I've had a bad year as far as this goes. Total fines+court costs+legal fees divided by 11 months is, unfortuantely, a good bit more than $100/mo.

Prior to this year, I had not had a ticket in YEARS.

ayn
11-20-2003, 03:48 PM
I thought you installed a badass radar detector on your M... doesn't work well?

TD
11-20-2003, 03:58 PM
I thought you installed a badass radar detector on your M... doesn't work well?

Radar detectors are only effective if the officer is using radar.

lemming
11-20-2003, 04:11 PM
what are you running into then?

helicopter? plane? laser?

(instant-on is still deadly, too).

JST
11-20-2003, 04:14 PM

Probably not. I don't really regret getting rid of mine.

Short term, it might bug you, but long term, you'd be fine.

Getting an MCS is not that great an idea--the M3 is just as much fun to drive, you wouldn't save any money, and the MCS is smaller and less useful. What have you gained?

Getting a 540 is a bad idea, IMHO. After driving both an E39 M5 and an E39 540i 6-speed, I can say confidently that the 5 drives like a bigger car than even the E46 M3. If you think the E46 is too isolated, you will really dislike any 5, up to and including the E39 M5. Plus, you've already got a big car--why do you need another one?

If you were to sell the M3, the only sensible reason to do so would be to get a 911 or a Boxster. Personally, the Boxster doesn't do anything for me, and I would take an E36 M3 over any vintage Boxster any day (and I did). But the 911 I have a soft spot for, and if you decided to get rid of the M3 for a late 80s Carrera, I would come over to your house and drive the wheels off of it.

Then I'd probably buy my own. :paranoid:

Seriously, the M3 for 911 trade makes sense, but what makes even more sense is a 323iC trade for a 911 cab. Or a Boxster.

clyde
11-20-2003, 04:15 PM

Come with me on Saturday to test drive an RX-8. We can drop by Sterling and you can take an MCS out for a spin too. (Then we can stop by blee's place to point and laugh some more. :D)

lemming
11-20-2003, 04:24 PM

Getting an MCS is not that great an idea--the M3 is just as much fun to drive, you wouldn't save any money, and the MCS is smaller and less useful. What have you gained?

Getting a 540 is a bad idea, IMHO. After driving both an E39 M5 and an E39 540i 6-speed, I can say confidently that the 5 drives like a bigger car than even the E46 M3. If you think the E46 is too isolated, you will really dislike any 5, up to and including the E39 M5. Plus, you've already got a big car--why do you need another one?

If you were to sell the M3, the only sensible reason to do so would be to get a 911 or a Boxster. Personally, the Boxster doesn't do anything for me, and I would take an E36 M3 over any vintage Boxster any day (and I did). But the 911 I have a soft spot for, and if you decided to get rid of the M3 for a late 80s Carrera, I would come over to your house and drive the wheels off of it.

Seriously, the M3 for 911 trade makes sense, but what makes even more sense is a 323iC trade for a 911 cab. Or a Boxster.

well put, JST.

i would agree with you, but you know, we're spoiled by how technologically advanced BMWs are compared to porsche of even just 5 years ago. while i enjoyed the wheels off of my 993, i came in with expectations and found with time that i needed something "more" and it didn't have to come in a purebred marque, either.

right now i'm happier than a big fat pig in a pile of slop in my subaru. don't miss the e36/8 or the 993. miss the e36m3 a tad (pure balanced car), but the STi comes close enough to me to the "feel" of the e36m3 but with the oomph i wanted...for now.

TD
11-20-2003, 04:33 PM

Thanks.

One little thing, though. I said E34 not E39.

Otherwise, I agree completely.

I really need to find a 911 before I hit middle age and getting a P-car become a joke.

FC
11-20-2003, 04:33 PM

well put, JST.

i would agree with you, but you know, we're spoiled by how technologically advanced BMWs are compared to porsche of even just 5 years ago. while i enjoyed the wheels off of my 993, i came in with expectations and found with time that i needed something "more" and it didn't have to come in a purebred marque, either.

right now i'm happier than a big fat pig in a pile of slop in my subaru. don't miss the e36/8 or the 993. miss the e36m3 a tad (pure balanced car), but the STi comes close enough to me to the "feel" of the e36m3 but with the oomph i wanted...for now.

Maybe TD will like the newer Boxster (or even the Boxster coupe if it is a reality). I hope I will like it.

Although as I have been thinking of houses around here I don't think I'll buy another car for the next 10 years. :traurig2:

lemming
11-20-2003, 04:44 PM
TD: i hear you can get an early 996 for less than you can a 993 or 964. since they would have mostly depreciated, you could get it out of your system (quickly). especially with the 997/8 right around the corner.

but you (being the numbers guy) will cry over the money poured in --but if you get the proper successor, you will not miss it that much.

JST
11-20-2003, 06:37 PM

Thanks.

I really need to find a 911 before I hit middle age and getting a P-car become a joke.

Right. I've never driven an E34 M5, but I did drive that E34 M540i Sport out at Auto Advantage a couple of years ago. It feels just as big (if not bigger) and loose as the E39 540, and bigger and looser than the E39 M5. I wasn't clear, but what I meant to say is that if even the E39 M5 feels big and loose compared the the E46 M3, you won't like the E34.

lemming
11-20-2003, 09:23 PM

Thanks.

Right. I've never driven an E34 M5, but I did drive that E34 M540i Sport out at Auto Advantage a couple of years ago. It feels just as big (if not bigger) and loose as the E39 540, and bigger and looser than the E39 M5. I wasn't clear, but what I meant to say is that if even the E39 M5 feels big and loose compared the the E46 M3, you won't like the E34.

the one thing that i know that i tend to overlook in older cars is structural rigidity. the e34 is wobbly wobbly compared to the e46 or e39....and did not have as near the power to weight ratios (but still rather hefty) compared with the current crop of cars.

just something to keep in perspective.

ARCHER
11-21-2003, 02:34 PM
You have been wrestling with this for a while now.

Personally, I would miss my M3 not only for its dynamics but also for its semi-rare coolness factor. That may sound shallow, but I just don't see many of them, especially where I live - far fewer than Porsches. It truly is part of the joy of ownership for me.

Do what you must, Tom. But don't come crying to me when you get "all nostalgic and shit" for your beloved M3/4. I get enough snot and drool from my kids.

lemming
11-21-2003, 02:49 PM

Personally, I would miss my M3 not only for its dynamics but also for its semi-rare coolness factor. That may sound shallow, but I just don't see many of them, especially where I live - far fewer than Porsches. It truly is part of the joy of ownership for me.

Do what you must, Tom. But don't come crying to me when you get "all nostalgic and shit" for your beloved M3/4. I get enough snot and drool from my kids.

my only counterpoint is that, while i am NOT a porsche sycophant, that 911s are sports cars. period. the 996 has become a gt more so than a sports car, but they still lap the nurburgring like there's no tomorrow.

the M3 is a Motorsport version of a luxury car. and while e36m3s are rare and becoming more rare, if you are some sort of purist of car aficionado, you have to admit that the S52 engine, while great for its purpose, is still a bastardized 325/328 block with M heads.

i owned an e36m3 as well as an e36/8 (S52 M coupe) so i feel qualified enough to write this; i think what TD is looking for is the next level, not a lateral move.

and it's why he would never in a million years get an e34m5. i would bet anything on it.

(but he might get an older porkchop).

ARCHER
11-21-2003, 03:32 PM
my only counterpoint is that, while i am NOT a porsche sycophant, that 911s are sports cars. period. the 996 has become a gt more so than a sports car, but they still lap the nurburgring like there's no tomorrow.

the M3 is a Motorsport version of a luxury car. and while e36m3s are rare and becoming more rare, if you are some sort of purist of car aficionado, you have to admit that the S52 engine, while great for its purpose, is still a bastardized 325/328 block with M heads.

i owned an e36m3 as well as an e36/8 (S52 M coupe) so i feel qualified enough to write this; i think what TD is looking for is the next level, not a lateral move.

and it's why he would never in a million years get an e34m5. i would bet anything on it.

I don't disagree with you. For me at least, a Porkchop is out of the question. With 14-month-old twins, the utility of the M3/4 at the very least, is a must. I would love to own a P-car, hell, who wouldn't? But it would have to be a third car, and it isn't in the cards for me at this time.

I certainly wouldn't fault him for moving into a Porsche, but the E34 M5... not seeing it. Either way, it is my duty to bust his chops about selling the M3.

TD
11-21-2003, 03:41 PM

LOL. Thanks for clearing this up. :lol:

Rob
11-21-2003, 04:15 PM
Test drive first! :lol:

You will probably hate the 996 if you decide to go with Porsche now. At least all of my Porsche friends consider them a soft, luxury version of the car they loved. If you were thinking about an older 911 though - hard to say you would be unhappy.

On the other hand, I have a friend with a 993 911 (I think it's a 993, anyway - it's not a 996) who bought a '99 convertible M3 for his wife (the car that started me looking for mine). He was so impressed with the M that he bought a '91 e36 for his daily driver. The 911 is still used and enjoyed for it's intended purpose (low mileage fun car that holds its value and never sees a track), but he prefers the BMW feel for every day driving.

So - test drive first.

Personally, I regretted selling the first car that I loved until I got the 330. That regret lasted for 10 years, I felt it every time I got in a car to drive and it would have lasted forever if I hadn't found a car that I liked as much.

lemming
11-21-2003, 04:47 PM

You will probably hate the 996 if you decide to go with Porsche now. At least all of my Porsche friends consider them a soft, luxury version of the car they loved. If you were thinking about an older 911 though - hard to say you would be unhappy.

On the other hand, I have a friend with a 993 911 (I think it's a 993, anyway - it's not a 996) who bought a '99 convertible M3 for his wife (the car that started me looking for mine). He was so impressed with the M that he bought a '91 e36 for his daily driver. The 911 is still used and enjoyed for it's intended purpose (low mileage fun car that holds its value and never sees a track), but he prefers the BMW feel for every day driving.

So - test drive first.

Personally, I regretted selling the first car that I loved until I got the 330. That regret lasted for 10 years, I felt it every time I got in a car to drive and it would have lasted forever if I hadn't found a car that I liked as much.

we'd all gang up and beat on TD if he got a 996.

but we would never have to; two back to back drives in aircoolers versus the waterpumpers would be enough.

TD
11-21-2003, 04:51 PM

So - test drive first.

we'd all gang up and beat on TD if he got a 996.

but we would never have to; two back to back drives in aircoolers versus the waterpumpers would be enough.

I am enough of a principled purist to know that getting a 996 is strictly not allowed.