PDA

View Full Version : No. I found TD's new ride....

lip277
08-30-2005, 10:22 PM
:lol:

OK - At least what I'd recommend.

Manual transmission.... check
Four doors.... check
Sporty.... check (and then some)

Ok - So it's not in warranty. It's got only 21 years on the calendar.
Who cares about miles? (Actually for this age - not too bad....)

The Car (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572076156)

TD
08-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Why do I get the feeling that that is going to be one EXPENSIVE old car?

Don't get me wrong. I love the E28. (That is an E28, right? The perspective on the pic is a little distorted.) But I just have this feeling..

So what's the deal? Specs, price, location?

lip277
08-30-2005, 10:42 PM
You know as much as I do (with reading the auction)

It's actually pretty close to you - It's in NJ.

It's probably best described as the what the M5 would have been if Alpina would have built it.

Expensive? Lets talk about depreciation on just about any new car 10 minutes after driving it off the lot. But parts and service on a unique bird like this could be an issue. Nobody said I had to make a 'reasonable' selection for you - did they? :lol:

: outtaher :lol:

TD
08-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Why didn't I notice the link before?

(Off to check it out...)

TD
08-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Okay, I'm back.

My initial impression is that it would be criminal to use that car as a daily driver. My second thought was to cringe at the price.

I'd seriously get a mint E28 M5 before getting that. Sure it's rare. But at that price, that car becomes strictly a collector's piece.

lip277
08-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Okay, I'm back.

My initial impression is that it would be criminal to use that car as a daily driver. My second thought was to cringe at the price.

I'd seriously get a mint E28 M5 before getting that. Sure it's rare. But at that price, that car becomes strictly a collector's piece.

he he

Nobody said I had to make a 'reasonable' selection for you - did they? :lol:

: outtaher :lol:

As I said earlier.

The one thing that keeps going through my mind is that out here on the west coast is the astonishingly high number of 'old' cars used as daily drivers. It's somewhat high here in Seattle (and Portland) but outrageously so in California. And - I'm not talking about the 1977 Pontiac LeMans that is about to rust away to nothingsville.... Every day I see 'regular' older cars that are in decent shape but nothing special from a value standpoint. They're just used cars in reasonable shape. The farther south I travel, the more I see fitting that description.

I have some relatives that live in Detroit now (from San Jose and Eugene previously) that were just amazed at how cars just fall to pieces back east. Gotta love that west coast!

But, I do think the smog rules are catching up with them out here though (except the collectible cars). CA has exemption for 1975 and older. Many of the late 70's and early 80 cars are dropping off the screen. Too expensive to 'fix'.

And those of you familiar with the California "Smog" police - you know what I'm talking about.

Roadstergal
09-08-2005, 03:38 PM
We don't salt. It makes a huge difference.

And I do see (and smell) a lot of old cars out here that I wish would fall apart. Soon.

Rob
09-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Hmm. I only rarely notice "old" exhaust smells down here. Maybe it's the oxygenated gas. :)

I do love seeing the number of pristine old cars that run around though. I think we are going to "Cruisn' Grand" this weekend - always a blast with cars from the 50s and 60s driving around.

kognito
09-08-2005, 05:05 PM
I recognize that car! I'm sure a thorough title search will show that "The Boss" (Bruce Springsteen) was the first American owner of this car.

Mr Paddle.Shift
09-11-2005, 03:22 AM
I cringe everytime I see Alpina cars with non-Alpina parts. What's that UUC thingy doing in a B9 3.5L?

Thing about owning an Alpina in the US is eventually, you will replace/upgrade parts with non-Alpina spec parts, which is IMO a faux pas. Buying an Alpina is showing the appreciation of the car as-is from the factory. Original Alpina parts are hard to come by. Trying to get them in the US is even more of a challenge. There are maybe 2 or 3 companies in Europe that replicate Alpina parts but expensive.