PDA

View Full Version : Test drove an f30 328i

robg
07-23-2012, 11:47 PM
At one of bmws olympic deiving event things. Wow. For once the press wasn't exaggerating. The steering is just awful. I was shocked. Felt like an 80s GM car perhaps: light, loose, little feel and a thin rim. Playing with the various modes (comfort, sport, etc) had little effect. It did ride very well on manhattans craptastic roads. One of the reps assured me that i would like the 335 with the variable steering much better. Dunno. Thought the 4 banger turbo was pretty good though. Not at all harsh like some reviews said. And the front isn't so bad in darker colors. Disliked the looks of the pre face lift e90 sedan more.

Car had the automatic without paddle shifters and it seemed to shift slower than the 6 speed on the e90 335. Also really dislike that plastic beer tap shifter in so many ways. Really have trouble understanding how it's better than the classic steptronic selector.

Shame cause I did kind of like the interior layout and the various gadgets. Though the silver colored plastic slathered across the dash of the base model is pretty poor. While the design and ergonomics are better than the e90 the quality overall is maybe a bit less.

For the first time I am feeling like the cranky old guy who doesn't like the new thing. Really starting to give some though to what "modern classic" I'd like. But I'm also quite the gadget nut and am easily seduced by the latest, greatest tech.

In a few years my e92 lease will be up, they'll have face lifted the f30 and pribabky tweaked the steering a few times. I'll look around, not find anything much better and fall for one of their comparatively cheap lease deals again!

Or maybe the f30 m3 really will be light weight, have hydraulic steering and manage to miraculously have an NA feeling turbo motor. Or maybe the f20 1 series coupe will have decent steering and won't be fugly.

Rob
07-25-2012, 02:03 AM
As rob, the user formerly known as rwg, I have to admit that every time I see robg on a post, I think it is me and wonder if I am going crazy b/c I don't remember posting it. Or test driving a car. Or being in Manhattan.

I have a good friend who just bought his wife a 328 b/c her car died on a trip over the 4th of July. They can't stop raving about it. It makes me feel jaded. Although the 2011 328 loaner I had last week was pretty impressive as a really great daily driver. Except for the automatic part. It's better than it used to be, but at the end of the day, it's still an automatic.

Sharp11
07-25-2012, 07:34 AM
@Rob about being Rob... LOL

I haven't driven an F30 yet, but nothing is making me want to.

I have driven my buddy's new 528i, and I think if I were going this route - sedan, auto etc., that's what I'd consider. It looks good, rides good and is likely the better dd ... or perhaps age is doing this to me.

SARAFIL
07-25-2012, 08:38 AM
F10 is too soft and has zero feel. Might as well buy a 7-series at that point. ;)

robg
07-26-2012, 11:16 PM
F10 is too soft and has zero feel. Might as well buy a 7-series at that point. ;)

Or the reverse. My dad was interested in getting a 750 but found it a bit too big. I told him to try out the 550 since it now drives/feels like a luxo car. Actually told him to just get a 535 but he likes the V8 thing. He loved it and is getting one. He's the furthest person from car enthusiast that I know. Its almost like the 5 is now the short wheelbase 7. Shame cause out of all of the current sedans, I think the 5 is the best looking inside and out. Still feels huge to me (then again what do I know cause my e92 feels pretty big too)

ZBB
07-27-2012, 07:40 AM
I've seen 2 F30s on the road now -- both this week.

It really looks awkward... Don't think I can bring myself to even get in one to test drive...

FC
07-27-2012, 08:06 AM
The reason I am hopeful on the F80 is that they are going to build on the success of the 1M. It's obvious to me thatwas the whole point of the 1M: to be a test bed to see how receptive customers would be to an FI M car "done right." They scored big by all accounts.

We'll see.

FC
07-27-2012, 08:09 AM
I've seen 2 F30s on the road now -- both this week.

It really looks awkward... Don't think I can bring myself to even get in one to test drive...

I think the nose dips too much. From inside a car it looks ok to me, but walking up to one it seems weird. From the windshield back it looks fine. The inside is not great, but at least as good as the E9X (in in black). The ergonomics seem slightly better too.

Overall, I find it much mroe agreeable than the original E90. The facelifted E90 is downright pretty on the outside (with or without M-sport).

ZBB
07-27-2012, 08:22 AM
I think the nose dips too much. From inside a car it looks ok to me, but walking up to one it seems weird. From the windshield back it looks fine. The inside is not great, but at least as good as the E9X (in in black). The ergonomics seem slightly better too.

Overall, I find it much mroe agreeable than the original E90. The facelifted E90 is downright pretty on the outside (with or without M-sport).

The dipping nose is what I really don't like. It looks very much like an E9x from most other angles, but the nose is just weird (although I do like the width of the grille and the headlights -- but only if straight on).

I haven't sat in one, and don't plan to (the pics of the bumpy wood scared me off)...

wdc330i
07-27-2012, 09:27 AM

I really hated the shiny mustache on the pre-LCI E90s. And I'm glad to have useful side mirrors as well.

robg
07-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Yep the stupid nose dip really ruins the car. The rest is clean, conservative, and sleek and I could even get used to the grill and lights. Hopefully they'll fix the hood dip and steering during the lci. Doubt most buyers notice or care though. Seems like a really lazy way to meet pedestrian safety and/or aerodynamic targets

wdc330i
07-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Yep the stupid nose dip really ruins the car. The rest is clean, conservative, and sleek and I could even get used to the grill and lights. Hopefully they'll fix the hood dip and steering during the lci. Doubt most buyers notice or care though. Seems like a really lazy way to meet pedestrian safety and/or aerodynamic targets

I'm wondering if the designers really wanted it to look that way. After all the Z4 had that nose years ago.

Nick M3
07-27-2012, 02:00 PM
I have to admit that I like it. It's much better than the E90, although I still think that the E30 facelift and E46 front ends were the best put together.

If the lease deals aren't completely insane, I might consider one if I ever get better control of my parking situation. (a.k.a. find a townhouse.)

zach
07-27-2012, 02:38 PM
I have to admit that I like it. It's much better than the E90, although I still think that the E30 facelift and E46 front ends were the best put together.

If the lease deals aren't completely insane, I might consider one if I ever get better control of my parking situation. (a.k.a. find a townhouse.)

I like the F30. I was seriously considering a euro-delivery 335i Xdrive sedan until I found out that it doesn't come with sport suspension.

Bruce330cic
07-27-2012, 02:42 PM
The steering feel in this car would definitely be a deal breaker for me. I had a 328 loaner for over a week and although the engine was sweet the steering killed the driving experience for me. Perhaps it's better in a car with sports package.

ZBB
07-27-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm wondering if the designers really wanted it to look that way. After all the Z4 had that nose years ago.

But the Z4 doesn't dip as drastically. Its long and low.

The F30 takes a big dip in the forward 25%-30% of the hood. Just weird...

SARAFIL
07-27-2012, 03:27 PM
I like the F30. I was seriously considering a euro-delivery 335i Xdrive sedan until I found out that it doesn't come with sport suspension.

They've never done a traditional sport suspension on the xi, but an adaptive suspension is available. I want to see how that works out.

wdc330i
07-27-2012, 03:56 PM
They've never done a traditional sport suspension on the xi, but an adaptive suspension is available. I want to see how that works out.

Interesting development. It sure helps the X5.

robg
07-27-2012, 04:32 PM
But the Z4 doesn't dip as drastically. Its long and low.

The F30 takes a big dip in the forward 25%-30% of the hood. Just weird...

Yeah. There are sports cars that have hoods that end at a steeper angle but on the f30 it's very steep and abrupt. Kind of like if a kid were drawing a car and ran out of room on the paper or something. Anyway in dark colors it's less noticeable but it's also the kind of thing that once you notice it's hard not to see it. If the steering were better, maybe.

When my e92 lease ends in 2 years I have no idea what I'll get...nothing out there today in my price range would interest me. Right now I'm thinking maybe next gen mustang!