PDA

View Full Version : Fan not working on E36. How to replace resistor?

Theo
08-23-2005, 09:42 AM
Hey Guys,
The ac/heater fan on my 99 E36 is acting up and one of the tech's at the local shop told me it might be a resistor going bad. He quoted me $260 to replace it. ugh

The panel display works fine but the fan only works half the time each time I start the car. The fan itself seems to be fine, it's more like the connection between the panel and the fan.

Is this "resistor" hard to find and replace?

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

Wow, I also see just now that Archer sold his E36. The old M's are dissappearing like fly's on this board.

TD
08-23-2005, 11:18 AM
It's easy. I know I posted a detailed explanation over at the Fest some time ago. Try a search over there.

IIRC, you have to sort of reach up into the area behind the center console, going up along the driver's side of the tranny tunnel. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

Theo
08-23-2005, 01:28 PM
It's easy. I know I posted a detailed explanation over at the Fest some time ago. Try a search over there.

IIRC, you have to sort of reach up into the area behind the center console, going up along the driver's side of the tranny tunnel. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

WOW, very cool. Thanks TD!! I will search at the fest.

While I have your attention, have you done a fix for the squeeky slip ring in the steering wheel? This is driving me INSANE and I want to know if I can grease myself to make it stop.

Thanks again for all your help.

Rob
08-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Search on the fest for the steering wheel fix too. Iirc, there is an easy attempt with grease. If that doesn't work, the repair is enough of a pain that some people just live with it. But it's been a long time since I looked.

Theo
08-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Search on the fest for the steering wheel fix too. Iirc, there is an easy attempt with grease. If that doesn't work, the repair is enough of a pain that some people just live with it. But it's been a long time since I looked.

Thanks RWG. The car has had a rash of shit happen to it latly. I think JST was right. It just hit 60K and now ALL this shit is happening at once. =(

Might sell it and get an S2000 for my convert fix. Nah!

zach
08-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Thanks RWG. The car has had a rash of shit happen to it latly. I think JST was right. It just hit 60K and now ALL this shit is happening at once. =(

Might sell it and get an S2000 for my convert fix. Nah!

Funny you mention this. I'm starting to get pretty nervous that something catastrophic is going to happen to my M3. I just hit 100k miles. Maybe it's time... :dunno: