PDA

View Full Version : That camping trip really f'cked me up.

ARCHER
07-18-2005, 05:38 PM
It reminded me of how much I love being in the outdoors - WAY out in the outdoors and how much I love off-roading. I spent the better part of the morning researching mods for the 'Disco' over at discoweb.org and realized that my wife would never in a million years let me do the mods that I want to do to her truck. Least of which include cutting away body panels to retrofit bumpers that facilitate much better approach/departure angles and larger tires.

So....

I've been out driving Jeep Rubicons today. I may trade the M3 for one.:eeps:

bren
07-18-2005, 06:07 PM
You could always buy a cheap used Jeep, mod it, and keep the M3.

rumatt
07-18-2005, 06:54 PM
Cutting fenders to fit bigger tires? What a bad idea that woudl be. :eeps:

It's cool you had fun though. Run with it man, run with it. :P

Roadstergal
07-18-2005, 07:04 PM
There's a happy medium. You can do things like lift kits and bigger tires and quick-disconnect swaybars on Jeeps to make them more offoradworthy without cutting the body; I can't imagine Land Rovers would be any different. They are traditionally on the true offroad side of SUVdom.

Why have an offroad vehicle and not offroad it? :) ;)

ff
07-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Boy that's the definition of waffling, if I ever saw it. S2000 >>> Jeep Rubicon. I'm trying to think of what what might be next on your list of desires. A Rolls Royce?

:P

I don't blame you. Off-roading is a TON of fun. Even the simple stuff can be an adrenaline rush.

rumatt
07-18-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm trying to think of what what might be next on your list of desires. A Rolls Royce?

I was thinking a "hybrid porsche SUV".

ARCHER
07-18-2005, 10:46 PM
You could always buy a cheap used Jeep, mod it, and keep the M3.

Actually, I can buy new for a song with the "employee discount." I have two dealers on the line, peddling their wares - one in light khaki and one in black - both manual of course. The one I drove today was a slushie but everything else felt good. I drove a 4.0 Wrangler Sport in manny guise and the gearbox felt pretty decent.

I would love to keep the M3 but my interests have changed as of late. If I had access to a track, things would be different. But the kids are getting old enough to start taking serious family outings and I am closer to mountains than to tracks - kind of tough to take kids with me there anyway. I'd get open-air motoring with the kids in tow.

As for the disco - what I'd want to do with it is rather extreme, not to mention expensive, and my wife is not exactly cool with that. Cutting body panels and all... (http://www.safarigard.com/) The silver '03 Discovery II under SG projects. I guess if I wanted to be really pretentious, I'd trailer the Rubicon to the mountains via the disco.

Compared to the M3, it is obviously a slug on pavement .

rumatt
07-19-2005, 01:00 AM
It seems the most important question is the following: is this off-roading desire a temporary itch that will disappear in a few weeks, or is it something that will become a hobbie for the next several years, and will create fun for both you and the whole family?

If it's the latter, then you have no choice. Go for it. But if you're anything like me, you can't be completely sure it's not the former. :speechle:

ARCHER
07-19-2005, 04:37 PM
It seems the most important question is the following: is this off-roading desire a temporary itch that will disappear in a few weeks, or is it something that will become a hobbie for the next several years, and will create fun for both you and the whole family?

If it's the latter, then you have no choice. Go for it. But if you're anything like me, you can't be completely sure it's not the former. :speechle:

:eeps:
v
v
v

Roadstergal
07-19-2005, 04:40 PM
As for the disco - what I'd want to do with it is rather extreme, not to mention expensive, and my wife is not exactly cool with that.

I still don't see what's wrong with doing minor mods that the wife is cool with, and exploring the limits there. I think you'd be surprised. Saying "I got the offroad bug, and now I want to cut my body panels and install insane lift kits, but I don't think the wife would be cool with it" sounds to me like "I just did my first track day, and after spending a morning reading up on power mods, now I need a turbo with 35psi boost, but my M3 won't handle it, so I need a Supra." I think you should take the Disco out as is, or with a few minor mods, and play with what it can do.

blee
07-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Holy....

Well, I hope you like off-roading! :lol: Way to go. This is a great time to buy a new/pretty new vehicle.

TD
07-19-2005, 04:59 PM

v
v
v

:irate:

FC
07-19-2005, 06:02 PM
v
v
v

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't know if to call you The Anti-waffler or Mr. Impulsive-purchaser. :)

bren
07-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Cool....that employee price must be great, care to share? :eeps:

So is it black or brown?

kognito
07-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Rubicon is an awsome jeep. that sucker can climb trees, can't it?? Good luck with it

FC
07-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Rubicon is an awsome jeep. that sucker can climb trees, can't it?? Good luck with it

I still hope to one day ( :rolleyes: ) own property in northern New England/Quebec. When I (we) do, I'll get a used Khaki Rubicon to have fun with up there.

Rob
07-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Wow. Congrats. Did you READ the name of this forum? That is not anything close to waffling (and I assume perseverators has something to do with waffling).

Have fun with the hills. And the rocks. And the trees. And the mods.

TD
07-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Wow. Congrats. Did you READ the name of this forum? That is not anything close to waffling (and I assume perseverators has something to do with waffling).

Have fun with the hills. And the rocks. And the trees. And the mods.

Main Entry: per·sev·er·a·tion
Pronunciation: p&r-"se-v&-'rA-sh&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin perseveration-, perseveratio, from perseverare
: continuation of something usually to an exceptional degree or beyond a desired point
- per·sev·er·ate /-'se-v&-"rAt/ intransitive verb
- per·sev·er·a·tive /-"rA-tiv/ adjective

ff
07-19-2005, 09:06 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Awesome Archer, congrats!

Let's see some pics. And the fenders better be covered with globs of mud.

bren
07-19-2005, 09:09 PM
And the fenders better be covered with globs of mud.
http://www.sprayonmud.com/images/bottle3.jpg

ARCHER
07-20-2005, 12:29 AM
As for the disco - what I'd want to do with it is rather extreme, not to mention expensive, and my wife is not exactly cool with that.

I still don't see what's wrong with doing minor mods that the wife is cool with, and exploring the limits there. I think you'd be surprised. Saying "I got the offroad bug, and now I want to cut my body panels and install insane lift kits, but I don't think the wife would be cool with it" sounds to me like "I just did my first track day, and after spending a morning reading up on power mods, now I need a turbo with 35psi boost, but my M3 won't handle it, so I need a Supra." I think you should take the Disco out as is, or with a few minor mods, and play with what it can do.

I was raised on serious off-roading and know what kind of mods the disco needs to do what I want to do. My wife ain't cool with it. I hoped the camping trip would have swayed her but it didn't. It's not that I just got the bug. I've had it all my life. My first vehicle was a Land Cruiser FJ55, followed by an FJ40. The disco is great and has seen its share of trails thus far. It just isn't ready to follow my brother's heavily modded FJ40 into the wilderness - not without some fairly comprehensive mods, anyway. It is capable as hell but needs work.

The reality is that I did not track the M3 and could not legally explore its limits. The closest track to me is farther away than the mountains. The M3 was a blast but I can enjoy the Rubicon in the outdoors with the whole family. The recent camping trip just gave me the green light to start doing those things again. The kids are ready and my wife and I are ready.

For the time being, the disco will continue to haul cargo for my wife's store and do lighter duty, long haul family excursions - ski trips and less demanding off-road stuff. I'll give it another year or so and check her temp. with regard to disco mods. For now, we'll get nasty in the Rubicon.

Edit: I'm not trying to be a dick but I have more experience with hard-core off-roading than on-roading. As it sits, the disco is a very expensive prospect to take into the really challenging stuff. It's great, but it need things.

ARCHER
07-20-2005, 12:40 AM
Cool....that employee price must be great, care to share? :eeps:

So is it black or brown?

Black... for now. The one I wanted is in South Texas so it will be Thursday before I take delivery.

I fear that I will be disowned by my family. Between my two brothers and my dad, there are three purpose-built Land Cruisers in the family. The Rover was insulting enough. Now, a Jeep...

To answer you question, I ended up getting the Rubicon for 24 and change.

ARCHER
07-20-2005, 12:43 AM
Holy....

Well, I hope you like off-roading! :lol:

Love it. :)

ARCHER
07-20-2005, 12:47 AM

It's a very impressive package right out of the box. Honestly, I've had my eye on the Rubicon for a while now. I just wanted to make sure my wife still loved campaing and off-roading as much as she used to. Turns out we had a great time. So...

ARCHER
07-20-2005, 12:49 AM

v
v
v

About?

TD
07-20-2005, 06:39 AM

v
v
v

About?

"'98 M3/4 (recently displaced) "

blee
07-20-2005, 08:40 AM
I'm no off-roader, but I've been rather partial to Jeeps. About the only thing that would displace one, in my mind, would be a Rover, but it's hard to get past the value of a good ol' 'Murican lump.

bren
07-20-2005, 08:48 AM
I fear that I will be disowned by my family. Between my two brothers and my dad, there are three purpose-built Land Cruisers in the family. The Rover was insulting enough. Now, a Jeep...

At least they all have solid axles :thumbup:

ARCHER
07-20-2005, 10:58 AM

At least they all have solid axles :thumbup:

Only way to go. Although I have been reading about the LR3 over at discoweb.org and some actually claim it is more capable than the outgoing disco II. Sorry, I'd have to see it to believe it.

And besides, it looks like everything else on the road now. At least the Discovery has unique character.

ARCHER
07-20-2005, 11:04 AM

v
v
v

About?

"'98 M3/4 (recently displaced) "

It was tough to leave it sitting up there yesterday. All of the service people commented on how well-kept the car was and that I must hate to give it up. I do hate to see the M3 go but I am also very excited about the Rubicon. My wife and I both feel this was a good decision.

I only hope that they send the car to an outside market. Or that if someone here buys it, that the new owner respects the car for what it is. I couldn't bear to see it with a goofy-ass wing and 20" chrome spinners. That would truly break my heart.

bren
07-20-2005, 11:14 AM
Although I have been reading about the LR3 over at discoweb.org and some actually claim it is more capable than the outgoing disco II.
Heh..yeah right. It'll do great until you go through the first water crossing and short out the electronics. Or they actually take it over some rocks and get the center sections of the IFS (front and rear right?) hung up. Plus...doesn't that thing weigh ~5000lbs.? Where's the COG? :speechle:

ARCHER
07-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Although I have been reading about the LR3 over at discoweb.org and some actually claim it is more capable than the outgoing disco II.
Heh..yeah right. It'll do great until you go through the first water crossing and short out the electronics. Or they actually take it over some rocks and get the center sections of the IFS (front and rear right?) hung up. Plus...doesn't that thing weigh ~5000lbs.? Where's the COG? :speechle:

Yep, front and rear IS. It is equipped with air gizmos to raise the vehicle if it gets high centered. Again, I'd have to see it to believe it. And even if it did work, it's just one more high tech disaster waiting to happen out on the trail.

IIRC, they said the center diff is auto-locking as well. So now, one can't even decide for themselves when to lock the diff. No thanks. Give me a simple, capable machine to take into the ugly stuff. If I can't fix it on the trail, I don't want it along.

Roadstergal
07-20-2005, 12:28 PM
I gotcha.

Well, you can do some ludicrous sheeot offroad with even a mildly-prepped Wrangler. :thumbup:

ARCHER
07-20-2005, 02:24 PM
I gotcha.

Well, you can do some ludicrous sheeot offroad with even a mildly-prepped Wrangler. :thumbup:

I really wanted to do it in the disco, believe me. I only see a few of them around here that look like they get off the pavement. Its always nice to see one with battle gear and scars.

But I can see where my wife is coming from. It is her car, after all.