PDA

View Full Version : OMG, the Kumho v710s seem to fit

rumatt
07-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Holy crap, they seem to fit. I didn't drive on them yet, but so far they look OK.

What do I do next, drive around and listen for rubbing, scraping, and grinding? Watch the rear view mirror for sparks, or car parts falling off behind me?

http://www.teamwtf.org/rumatt/DCP_0680.JPG

http://www.teamwtf.org/rumatt/DCP_0681.JPG

http://www.teamwtf.org/rumatt/DCP_0683.JPG

Roadstergal
07-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Drive around, then pull them. If they're rubbing on the shocks or struts, there will be an unexpectedly clean spot on the shock or strut. If they're rubbing on the fender, you should see a mark on the tire.

Just remember to keep moving forwards and don't pay any attention to the car you cut off.

bren
07-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Shouldn't you be working? :P

Who said they wouldn't fit? What was the spacer for? And, why does that front wheel looked cracked?

rumatt
07-15-2005, 03:20 PM
No rubbing under mild driving conditions. I guess I just wait until tomorrow to see for real.

rumatt
07-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Shouldn't you be working? :P

:eeps:

Who said they wouldn't fit? What was the spacer for? And, why does that front wheel looked cracked?

KrisL posted on the 'fest that he had these same wheels and tires and I PM'd him. He's on wheels with an offset of 41. Mine is 50 (sits in more). I also talked to Andy, who said he had rubbing on the inside, and his offset is smaller than mine. I was predicting that I would get rubbing on the inside. I wasn't sure, but I wanted spacers to ensure I could run tomorrow.

Front wheel isn't cracked. It was refinished, and the refinished coating is peeling off. I bought two crappy front wheels for autox. The rears are my stock wheels and are in good condition.

Now that I'm going to have to swap tires at every event, I guess I need wheel studs. Bolts are a pita.

Plaz
07-15-2005, 03:27 PM
:scratch:

You bought an E30 as your track/autox car, didn't you? That red one you were spraying weed killer on last week?

:scratch:

bren
07-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Andy was probably rubbing on his coilovers..with stock struts there is more room. If you can fit a finger between the tire/strut with the car on the ground it should be ok.

studs = RRT

rumatt
07-15-2005, 03:31 PM
You bought an E30 as your track/autox car, didn't you? That red one you were spraying weed killer on last week?

:lol:

Yeah, kinda. :banghead:

rumatt
07-15-2005, 03:33 PM
If you can fit a finger between the tire/strut with the car on the ground it should be ok.

It looks like it will be OK. But these tires are 45's instead of 40 (aspect ratio) so they may rub in unexpected ways up near the top. It looks like a reasonable amount of space though.

rumatt
07-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Look what else arrived. Kinda dirty, but good enough.

WTF are the red things for. :speechle:

http://www.teamwtf.org/rumatt/DCP_0684.JPG

Nick M3
07-15-2005, 04:28 PM
And Brendan thought MINE were dirty....

rumatt
07-15-2005, 04:30 PM
At least I got boxes and directions. :P

So do I need those red things? (I'm glad I'm not trying to install these things in a hurry) :eeps:

Nick M3
07-15-2005, 04:55 PM
The red things are your coilover spring perches. Not useful unless you, well, decide you don't want a shitty camber-free suspension.

rumatt
07-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Weird that it has part of the coilover setup, but not all. I guess I can figure out which parts I need, and which I don't, later when (not if) I move to coilovers. :)

Nick M3
07-15-2005, 05:04 PM
The front perches are included by Koni with the dampers.

bren
07-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Nice of him to include bump stops, and the spanner wrench...I bet you even got the Koni adjuster tool. And look at that, a right and left shock! :eeps:

rumatt
07-15-2005, 08:43 PM
Nice of him to include bump stops, and the spanner wrench...I bet you even got the Koni adjuster tool. And look at that, a right and left shock! :eeps:

Dude, you got taken man. Robbed I tell you.

rumatt
07-15-2005, 08:44 PM
What pressure to I put in these Suckers tomorrow? Someone help out a n00b.

50psi front to avoid cording the edge with my camber-challenged pig? :speechle:

Elwood
07-16-2005, 10:55 AM
What pressure to I put in these Suckers tomorrow? Someone help out a n00b.

50psi front to avoid cording the edge with my camber-challenged pig? :speechle:

SUCKER!!!

Hot temps on my Toyo's are 37/37.5 F/R in NY and 38/38.5 in NJ

Andy
07-16-2005, 11:41 AM
The only rubbing you might get is in the rear under heavy cornering, but at the stock ride height, I wouldn’t think you’d get much if any at all.

As far as tire pressures are concerned, I have no experience with the V710s, but due too the lack of camber and the tall sidewall I think 50 psi up front is a good starting point. I would run 5 to 10 lbs less in the rear. Keep an eye on how much rollover you’re getting and adjust from there.

Some scotch bright and a few cans of hi-temp paint will clean those shocks right up… at least that’s what I did to mine when they started looking like that.

Cool, he included the modified OEM shock mounts too!! :thumbup:

rumatt
07-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Autox'd the 710's today. No rubbing whatsoever. Nice.

My initial impression of my first time on r-comps:
- Stopping: not impressive at all
- Turning: sweet
- Compensating for a crappy driver: obviously not

It also seemed like my front suspension wasn't particularly happy about the tires. It was clunking quite a bit, which it never used to do. I guess it's just the higher load being applied. :dunno: (This is the stock setup: haven't installed the Koni's yet).

Played with a tire pyrometer (sp?) on a few of the runs. I ended up at 38.5F 34R. At these settings, the front temps were something like 134,130,125 (outside, middle, inside) so a nice linear spread. The backs were mostly equal across the tread, but sometimes slightly higher in the middle, suggesting 34 is still a bit too high.

clyde
07-16-2005, 06:45 PM
If you aren't impressed with the braking, you didn't use them right. Don't worry about rear temps at all right now. Tune for the balance you want with the fronts.

bren
07-16-2005, 08:11 PM
If you aren't impressed with the braking, you didn't use them right. .
That's the truth. I keep waaaay over-braking.

I was down to 30psi today and still not rolling over on the sidewalls.

rumatt
07-17-2005, 12:42 AM
If you aren't impressed with the braking, you didn't use them right.

Well, when trying to find the limits of the tires I went into a few corners deeper than I would have, and the braked hard, making sure not to turn the wheel.

I ended up over-shooting my braking zone every time, with ABS going nuts. I'm sure if I had been smoother on the brakes and eased off before ABS I would have been braking more effectively. But I guess I was expecting miracles in terms of braking.