PDA

View Full Version : FS: Older (Gen. 5) BMW ULF module

Terri Kennedy
02-04-2012, 09:18 PM
I upgraded to a Droid RAZR Maxx and my older Bluetooth ULF wasn't completely happy with it - it could receive calls handsfree, read SMS messages on the nav screen and use the phone book, but attempts to place calls handsfree completed the call but with the audio on the phone, not the car. This ULF worked flawlessly with my RAZR V3, and probably with lots of other phones. So I upgraded to the latest ULF and now I'm selling my old one.

The exact part number of the unit I'm selling is 84-21-6-945-387, marked HW Rev 09, SW Rev 66. The detachable pairing passcode sticker is still on the ULF. Includes SES (voice recognition), as do all US ULF's.

Fits most older (i-Bus) BMWs.

This is the ULF module only, not a complete Bluetooth retrofit kit.

No, I don't know if it will work with any phones other than the 2 I mentioned above. :rolleyes:

Asking $200 shipped anywhere in the US, PayPal.

Terri Kennedy
02-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Asking $200 shipped anywhere in the US, PayPal.
Bueller? ... Anyone?

50 views and no nibbles. If anyone's interested, speak up - otherwise it goes onto the Fest and Fanatics next week.

equ
02-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Break it down for us a bit... What bmw series does this fit and how difficult is it to install? I don't know which has an i-bus which doesn't. Does it work on an e39?

ZBB
02-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Break it down for us a bit... What bmw series does this fit and how difficult is it to install? I don't know which has an i-bus which doesn't. Does it work on an e39?

Only the '03 E39s (last model year) were bluetooth ready. This module would allow BT connection. But you'd also need the install kit (brackets, microphone, BT antenna, etc), which costs ~$160 (at least it did in '05 when I bought it). Install takes less than an hour if you have all the parts. The car may also need to be coded by the dealer also (although mine didn't -- it worked right away)...

There are ways to make it work in older E39s, but they can get expensive...

Terri Kennedy
02-11-2012, 11:01 PM
As ZBB said, this is just the module, not the rest of the parts needed to make a non-Bluetooth car Bluetooth-capable. It is the most expensive piece, though. Mostly it would be useful to someone who had the original ULF version (which was a real turkey) and wanted to upgrade.

Dealer coding is not required. The only thing coding performs on the ULF is setting the name of the module, so you can have it say something other than "BMW ULF" or a serial number when it identifies itself to your phone.

Here's the instructions, in case you want to see what is involved:

E39 from 03/2002 onward (http://www.tmk.com/transient/5989en.pdf)
E39 from 09/2001 to 03/2002 (http://www.tmk.com/transient/6085EN.pdf)
E39 from 03/2001 to 09/2001 (http://www.tmk.com/transient/6084EN.pdf)

Note: All US BMWs had SA640 (telephone prep). There is normally a plastic button saying that somewhere in the trunk.

As the build date gets older, things get more complicated. You can retrofit Bluetooth back to 08/1994, but you need an aftermarket cable - BMW didn't think it was worthwhile producing the cables for cars that old.

lip277
02-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Would this work in the last of the E38's?
Speaking of my very late build 2001...

Terri Kennedy
02-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Would this work in the last of the E38's?
Speaking of my very late build 2001...
It should. I don't have the official BMW retrofit instructions for that.

According to Bimmernav (http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catalog/bmw-bluetooth-kit-for-7-series-199501-e38-usa-all-n-america-item-42.html), it is a standard retrofit from 01/2000 forward, with special cables needed before 01/2000. Note that by selecting the "No ULF Module - Customer Sourced", you save $475. :cool:

equ
02-12-2012, 10:26 AM
I checked with gf, our resident tame e39 driver. She's not that interested in b-tooth, doesn't really talk much while commuting. Car is an 00 anyway.

lip277
02-17-2012, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the info... I need to figure out first if I will be keeping the car - and if I do, what mods I would like to undertake.....

I'm tempted though - in the 'just in case' mode....

But $200 for that.... ummmm

Terri Kennedy
02-17-2012, 02:12 AM
But $200 for that.... ummmm
Make an offer?

lip277
02-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Make an offer?

I know... It's tempting...
But, If anything - I'd install a DVD (MK IV) nav computer first if I were to want to go that way....

But even at that - my dash mounted Garmin does fine.... and goes from car to car...

Theo
02-23-2012, 10:51 PM
I know... It's tempting...
But, If anything - I'd install a DVD (MK IV) nav computer first if I were to want to go that way....

But even at that - my dash mounted Garmin does fine.... and goes from car to car...

The gen 13 works best with the latest iPhones. I have some volume issues with mine but if I have the phone plugged into the factory aux jack I also installed in the glove box that issue goes away.

I had an older version first that I got from ZBB that did not work with my iPhone at all. Just FYI.

ZBB
02-24-2012, 10:45 AM
The gen 13 works best with the latest iPhones. I have some volume issues with mine but if I have the phone plugged into the factory aux jack I also installed in the glove box that issue goes away.

I had an older version first that I got from ZBB that did not work with my iPhone at all. Just FYI.

I still owe you a drink for that!

Theo
02-27-2012, 02:40 PM
I still owe you a drink for that!

Oh Jezz that was years ago. Thanks though. =)