PDA

View Full Version : Edmunds: 2006 Saab 9-3 Sportcombi

Jason C
07-12-2005, 03:09 AM
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2006/saab.sportcombi/06.saab.sc.f34.500.jpg

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=106352?tid=edmunds.h..insideline.promo.2 g.*#1

A nice look, but some glaring errors in the article (Saab will offer OEM R-compound tires on a fuckin' wagon. Right. :rolleyes: ).

It looks like an interesting alternative for the Subaru Outback that we're probably going to get in less than 2 months, but probably won't make the cut. The Saab will be first year and FWD, the Outback will be AWD and will be in the second year of production and have a Navi option. Plus it's probably larger inside. Pretty cut-and-dried case IMO, but a test drive will be in the works.

rumatt
07-12-2005, 08:13 AM
It looks like an interesting alternative for the Subaru Outback that we're probably going to get in less than 2 months, but probably won't make the cut. The Saab will be first year and FWD, the Outback will be AWD and will be in the second year of production and have a Navi option. Plus it's probably larger inside. Pretty cut-and-dried case IMO, but a test drive will be in the works.

I thought these were the editors words at first.

Jason C
07-12-2005, 08:21 AM

I thought these were the editors words at first.

:? :lol:

My father is biased towards Saab though (his bro works for them) so who knows. Knowing what info we have on both at this point, my vote goes for the Subie.

Nick M3
07-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Anyone else have issues with this?

The SportCombi is not just a 9-3 sedan with extra sheet metal. The car is all-new from the B-pillar back.

Sharp11
07-12-2005, 09:37 AM

I think you're thinking of the Legacy GT wagon, a completely different animal from the Outback (we have an Outback).

As for the Saab, it's still FWD only and that part about the extra 400lbs and less stiff (even if it's by only 6%) body structure puts me off.

It does look nice, though.

Ed

bren
07-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Anyone else have issues with this?

The SportCombi is not just a 9-3 sedan with extra sheet metal. The car is all-new from the B-pillar back.
Well 1/2 of it is all new anyway :lol: :rolleyes:

JST
07-12-2005, 10:15 AM

I think you're thinking of the Legacy GT wagon, a completely different animal from the Outback (we have an Outback).

As for the Saab, it's still FWD only and that part about the extra 400lbs and less stiff (even if it's by only 6%) body structure puts me off.

It does look nice, though.

Ed

The Saab's biggest problem is the Legacy GT, which on paper does every thing the Saab does and more (AWD), while costing substantially less (28 v. 32). Of course, Saab's never sell for sticker, so maybe the price difference won't be that big.

Plaz
07-12-2005, 10:24 AM
The Saab's biggest problem is the Legacy GT, which on paper does every thing the Saab does and more (AWD), while costing substantially less (28 v. 32). Of course, Saab's never sell for sticker, so maybe the price difference won't be that big.

It'll end up being cheaper than the Scooby, like the 9-2x.

I'm still amazed that they've taken the whole "unlike anything else" / "show your individuality" / "Swedish engineering" marketing approach with the Saab TrailBlazer. Seems so underhanded and scummy.

Jason C
07-12-2005, 10:26 AM

It'll end up being cheaper than the Scooby, like the 9-2x.

I'm still amazed that they've taken the whole "unlike anything else" / "show your individuality" / "Swedish engineering" marketing approach with the Saab TrailBlazer. Seems so underhanded and scummy.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I hear that ad come on the radio. State of independence, Swedish individuality, my ass!

bren
07-12-2005, 11:49 AM
The Saab's biggest problem is the Legacy GT....
I think the Saab is better looking and that new Subaru front end isn't going to help the Legacy either.

Arockalypse
07-12-2005, 04:57 PM
State of independence, Swedish individuality, my ass!

When I bought my 9-2x they sent me a nice accessory catalog filled with smiling, independent, individual white people in sweaters.

And then of course there is this:

http://www.maintainyouridentity.net/

Roadstergal
07-12-2005, 05:17 PM
smiling, independent, individual white people

of Unknown gender? :P

Arockalypse
07-12-2005, 05:32 PM
of Unknown gender? :P

Heh, heh. Yes. Representing their highly desirable metro-centric androgynous sweater wearing demographic.