PDA

View Full Version : "You pay what we pay" is extended

ff
07-10-2005, 06:58 PM
I see commercials saying that the GM employee discount deal has now extended through August 1. Not that this is any shock. That company has been drowning for years, and it reeks of desperation.

If only they made a car that I'd consider.

hockeynut
07-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Instead of "You pay what we pay" howsabout "you pay what its worth". Then we can all get extra cars for next to nothing :)

Jason C
07-10-2005, 09:27 PM
One key result that has been glossed over is that owners of competitive makes and imports are visiting GM showrooms in significantly high numbers now - unlike the last quarter-century or so.

If they use this plan as a transition before moving to a one-price MSRP that actually reflects what the car is worth (without bullshit rebates) then it might just work out brilliantly. If not, well it's been nice knowing you.

pintnight
07-10-2005, 10:04 PM
I saw a Dodge commerical yesterday is also having a "Employee pricing plus" which the "plus" is $1500 to $3000 aditional off.

http://www.dodge.com/plus/index.html
http://www-5.dodge.com/incentives/Startup.jam?Brand=Dodge&SalesMarket=U&language=en& ModelYear=&Model=brand

SARAFIL
07-10-2005, 10:34 PM
I see commercials saying that the GM employee discount deal has now extended through August 1. Not that this is any shock. That company has been drowning for years, and it reeks of desperation.

The other side of the coin is that anyone that bought one of these cars before the employee pricing came out is totally buried. Values of late model domestic cars have crashed in the past few weeks with the announcement of GMs program and anticipation that Ford + Chrysler would match.

If you can buy a new one for thousands below invoice in some cases, how much more of a savings would you need to buy a 1 or 2 year old model with some miles on it?

lemming
07-10-2005, 11:20 PM

give it some time, hurricane-boy.

on the business side: i wonder who the new customers are. my gut instinct says more people go to saab, cadillac and hummer dealerships hoping to get the cars they kind of like, but always found too expensive. a lot of contractors may re-invest in machinery (i.e. pickup trucks).

on the car side: i'm really curious as to what platform/car they are benchmarking for the solstice turbo. i don't see why they don't just bring the little opel vx thingy over here, but what do i know?

blee
07-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Now that Ford and DC have jumped onto the employee pricing bandwagon, I don't see how GM could step out so quickly.

ff
07-11-2005, 08:56 AM

give it some time, hurricane-boy.

:lol:
Well, if the employee pricing lasts as long as the 0% financing offer did, you never know. I always have my eyes open for a decent car big enough to haul 3 kids in child seats. I'd love to ditch the monster Nissan, and vehicles like it, for good.