PDA

View Full Version : Clarkson return his GT

rumatt
07-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Link from 'fest.

Sorry, Ford, I have to ask for my money back (http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1677058,00.html)

blee
07-08-2005, 09:35 AM
So Clarkson's beef with the car has nothing to do with the actual car's reliability, but with a third-party alarm installation that was obviously botched? I expected to read about some kind of horrible suspension failure, or maybe an engine issue. Still sucks, though.

bren
07-08-2005, 09:36 AM
"...I have never profited from my position as a motoring journalist. And I never will."

So he doesn't think being famous had anything to do with Ford taking the car back? :?

FC
07-08-2005, 10:15 AM
"...I have never profited from my position as a motoring journalist. And I never will."

So he doesn't think being famous had anything to do with Ford taking the car back? :?

Exactly! :lol:

...or the DB9 loaner. Because, you know, any of us would get that treatment. :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am with blee on this one. What a sissy. His dream car of 35 years and returns it for a faulty alram? :rolleyes: Dude, rip it out! Who gives a f***?! Pay some shitty garage to disable it for good and install lo-jack ro whatever. Jackass. :flame:

Nick M3
07-08-2005, 10:42 AM
So Clarkson's beef with the car has nothing to do with the actual car's reliability, but with a third-party alarm installation that was obviously botched? I expected to read about some kind of horrible suspension failure, or maybe an engine issue. Still sucks, though.

The alarm is OEM. The "aftermarket" part was sarcasm. ...and frankly, I think suspension failure, or engine problems would be less annoying.

ff
07-08-2005, 11:35 AM
...and frankly, I think suspension failure, or engine problems would be less annoying.

I agree. At least with a suspension failure, the problem could be easily rectified by popping out a few bolts, and replacing the part. No extensive electrical system diagnostic tests, or hours spent tracking down the gremlin.

SCA
07-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Hmm...no comment re: Ford.

Plaz
07-08-2005, 11:36 AM
What a poseur. :bigpimp:

Jason C
07-08-2005, 11:39 AM
What a poseur. :bigpimp:

Should have gotten a hopped-up VW with a hole in the roof. :)

(Amazingly, he had not a single comment about this anytime during last Sunday's show)

blee
07-08-2005, 11:46 AM
I doubt that a U.S.-spec alarm system would be fully operable in the UK, so it sounds like it was installed in all of the 28 UK cars by Roush or Ford UK or something. What a great way to ruin a car like that. :rolleyes:

What was that about British engineering again?

bren
07-08-2005, 11:57 AM
:lol:

Rob
07-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Never profited. Right. Usual U.S. bashing. Check.

What a tool. "It's my dream car, but I can't stand the thought of ripping out the after market alarm. Help me decide." Whatever. I think he should let someone have it that will appreciate it. He obviously doesn't.

lemming
07-08-2005, 05:41 PM
the car must have not been good enough to warrant keeping it despite those issues --i don't think anyone would really return a ferrari f430 just because of those issues, do you?

or maybe it's also the combination of having to deal with Ford UK plus a poorly developed vehicle that has zero racing heritage?

zach
07-08-2005, 05:44 PM
zero racing heritage?

I could not care less about racing heritage.

ZBB
07-08-2005, 07:38 PM
:lol:

Its called "British charm" -- I have a friend that can go on for hours about his experience with his first Elise, which was bought back by the dealer for having excessive amounts of British charm. His 2nd had some too, but none related to the powertrain. Both of these were UK-spec Elises...

John V
07-08-2005, 10:04 PM
zero racing heritage?

Dit-to.

lemming
07-08-2005, 11:07 PM
zero racing heritage?

Dit-to.

it seems disingenuous to make a replica car that has zero racing in it anywhere --and what i keep alluding to is that if they actually raced it like its ancestor, they would have stumbled across a lot of the mechanical issues a lot sooner than later.

as i've been on the record before: i'd take a GT3 any day over the Ford GT. not only is it cheaper, it also has built into it all of the lessons from racing. this may not matter to many of you, but 150k USD is a lot for a poseurmobile.

:flame: