PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes, all it takes is a test drive

Rob
11-12-2003, 02:19 PM
I have been missing the smoothness and refinement of the e46 lately on late night commutes after long work days. Enough so that when I noticed that my e36 was worth about $500 less than I paid for it 10 months ago, I thought about trading it in. While I was test driving last weekend with my dad (the new 5 is amazing, btw - and you can't see the rear end from the cabin), I drove a 330i zhp. It was very nice, but in my relatively short test drive, I found out two things very quickly.

1) My memory is wacked - it's smoother than the e36, but not to the degree I thought I remembered; and

2) Boy do I LOVE my car.

All of the reasons that I made the switch in the first place smacked me right in the face. One little test drive is good for at least six more months of driving bliss.

3LOU5
11-17-2003, 06:38 AM
I have been missing the smoothness and refinement of the e46 lately on late night commutes after long work days. Enough so that when I noticed that my e36 was worth about $500 less than I paid for it 10 months ago, I thought about trading it in. While I was test driving last weekend with my dad (the new 5 is amazing, btw - and you can't see the rear end from the cabin), I drove a 330i zhp. It was very nice, but in my relatively short test drive, I found out two things very quickly.

1) My memory is wacked - it's smoother than the e36, but not to the degree I thought I remembered; and

2) Boy do I LOVE my car.

All of the reasons that I made the switch in the first place smacked me right in the face. One little test drive is good for at least six more months of driving bliss.

Six more months?

Dang Rob, don't you get rid of your e36 before letting me have a turn behind the wheel !

:mad:

Rob
11-17-2003, 03:38 PM
You are welcome to drive it any time you know. We should organize an outing.

I wasn't really thinking about getting rid of it, I was just thinking. You know, you get caught up in the hype thing when you start car shopping with someone else and sort of think what if. And sometimes during day to day commutes, the interesting quirks of the e36 chasis become minor annoyances.

That was the best test drive ever. Not only am I thrilled again every time I get in my car, it saved me a BUNCH of money. :D

3LOU5
11-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Thanks again for your generous offer.

Too bad I work every freaking weekend, or else I'd have come over and checked your ///M months ago. :(

Your story reminds me of my co-worker somewhat. He's got a '73 911 that he has fixed up to his liking. Lately, he's been going to the local Honda dealers to see if he can trade in his 911 and get a great deal on an '04 Accord coupe, because he's "getting tired of the firm ride of his Porsche". But then, he tells me, "Every time I drive home from the dealership on a twisty road, I keep asking myself, 'What the HELL I'm I thinking? I CAN'T give this up!'".

The other funny thing is, this conversation has become a once-a-week occurence. :lol: