PDA

View Full Version : Think it's flooded?

clyde
07-06-2005, 12:42 PM
http://members.iinet.net.au/~oodlum/images/oodlums-rx8-flooded.jpg

Jason C
07-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Spill them beans. What's the story behind this?

(If this isn't some elaborate photochop)

Rob
07-06-2005, 12:45 PM
That really hurts to see. I don't suppose it was a photoshop . . .

Think it's totaled?

dan
07-06-2005, 12:48 PM
nice photo

JST
07-06-2005, 12:48 PM
http://members.iinet.net.au/~oodlum/images/oodlums-rx8-flooded.jpg

Lights still work, anyway.

I drowned a 1992 Probe GT in water about that deep in New Orleans, once. After replacing the carpet and the central engine control computer, the car ran as good as new. Wasn't cheap, but it wasn't that expensive, either.

EDIT:

Hope the owner checked to see if the water was already in the car before opening the doors. It would be a shame to have made the problem worse than it needed to be.

Roadstergal
07-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Hope the owner checked to see if the water was already in the car before opening the doors.

I don't think the owner opened the doors. I think the car just needs a hug.

blee
07-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Ouch. Poor thing just wants a hug. :(

I'm guessing that the owner put the car up on something to prevent it from being flooded, but the attempt obviously was semi-successful at best.

ZBB
07-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Spill them beans. What's the story behind this?

(If this isn't some elaborate photochop)

I'm voting photochop... Evidence:

1) look at the perspective of the front door vs the rest of the car -- that's would have to be one loooooong door to have that effect
2) look at the height of the car vs the roof of the garage and the garage door -- the RX-8 would have to be floating to be that high... and with that amount of water in the car with the doors open, the car would sink (unless Mazda offers some sort of secret amphibious package)
3) If it is floating, would it float perfectly level? I know the RX-8 has 50-50 distribution, but is that accurate enough to float perfectly level. Also, with the passenger side doors open, the center of gravity would be moved, most likely listing the car one way or the other.

Edit -- blee's comment about it being up on something would explain #'s 2 & 3... but here's a 4th

4) Lighting -- just looks too good to be real. External lighting looks doable, and battery is probably above the water line, so a short might not necessarily happen. But the lighting on the inside drivers-side doors looks too bright and even (and I don't remember the interior lighting on the RX-8 being that bright or different from most cars.)

elbert
07-06-2005, 02:08 PM
I'm voting photochop... Evidence:

1) look at the perspective of the front door vs the rest of the car -- that's would have to be one loooooong door to have that effect

Or a short focal length (wide angle lens), which causes a shift in perspective. The wide angle lens would be needed to get the entire car in the pic while standing close to it, as one would in a garage.

dan
07-06-2005, 02:14 PM
http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=65610

ff
07-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Looks like a PS job. The area directly underneath the center console in the rear... the colors/reflection don't jive with what's visible on the actual car. And what's that silver lever thing that appears in the reflection at the same console area, yet is nowhere to be found on the actual car? Actually, it looks like the emergency brake lever, but squashed a bit.

I call PS.

Nick M3
07-06-2005, 02:15 PM
It's definitely been lifted. Look at the wheel gap.

blee
07-06-2005, 02:21 PM
I doubt it's PS. A lot of the points brought up so far can be explained with a tripod, long exposure, and a little patience. If I were to try something like this, I'd wade into the garage, set up my tripod, set up the shot, walk out of the "pool," wait a few minutes for the ripples to subside, then use the remote to take my shots. It's a great shot of a sad story.

clyde
07-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Looks like a PS job. The area directly underneath the center console in the rear... the colors/reflection don't jive with what's visible on the actual car. And what's that silver lever thing that appears in the reflection at the same console area, yet is nowhere to be found on the actual car? Actually, it looks like the emergency brake lever, but squashed a bit.

I call PS.

The reflection shows elements of the left side interior that you can't see directly from the camera position because the seats are blocking the direct view. Also note what's visible of the far side through the handbrake versus how it appears in the reflection. THe location of the dome lights in the reflection is spot on, along with the distortion caused by the water. The merging of the water with the tires is right. There are reflections of lights on the body panels that appear in the direct vierw that do not appear in the reflection, or are in a slightly different location, both making sense when considering where they are and where the lights must be coming from. And then there is evidence of the water reaching a slightly higher level than is shown, presumably from ripples/waves. Look at the rear tires for wet spots, water spots on the interior door panels nearest the camera, the driver seat (right hand drive), the black piece at the front of the console, etc. Then there are the shadows on parts of the water at the waterline where it meets the car. I'll stop there.

Someone clearly put some effort into taking the photo, but it clearly isn't photoshopped beyond color correction type adjustments

ff
07-06-2005, 02:51 PM
The rest of the image looks dead-on, like you say. But something about that rear console area doesn't look correct. Like, where is the reflection of the silver and the black trim piece that borders the console longitudinally? There isn't one. It goes straight to the reflection of the red door panel. And the angles and location of the reflected door panel is all wrong.

I still think it's PS'd.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/files/oodlums-rx8-flooded_179.gif

SteveM
07-06-2005, 02:53 PM
It's not level, it's tail down - at least there is more of the front wheel showing than there is of the rear wheel. The garage looks like a temporary structure of some kind; at least the side wall looks like its corrugated metal. The garage must be in a really low lying area as that roll up door should let the water back out too!

clyde
07-06-2005, 03:00 PM
The black and silver trim piece IS reflected. It's on the same arc as it is from where it starts in the front. There is a transistion where the light falls away and the reflection looks a little different, but it's the same thing as I was saying about reflections ont he body panels being different than the body panels being reflected on the water. There is something else in the back seat by the console that I can't figure out. it could be something on the back seat that is just barely higher than the water level or maybe something on the water. :dunno:

I do believe the phot is real. Have you read the thread bono linked above?

John V
07-06-2005, 03:01 PM
The rest of the image looks dead-on, like you say. But something about that rear console area doesn't look correct. Like, where is the reflection of the silver and the black trim piece that borders the console longitudinally? There isn't one. It goes straight to the reflection of the red door panel. And the angles and location of the reflected door panel is all wrong.

I still think it's PS'd.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/files/oodlums-rx8-flooded_179.gif

Go to the rx8club forum link that u2guy posted. It's real.

I see the proper reflection for the center console in the water... don't know how you're missing it... :?

ff
07-06-2005, 03:05 PM
I heard it on the internet, so it has to be real. :P

From top to bottom (at the rear console) the image goes:

1) Silver trim piece
2) Black trim piece
3) Water line
4) Red door panel with some unknown silver level thingy

Where is the reflection of the silver and black trim?

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/files/oodlums-rx8-flooded_178.gif