PDA

View Full Version : Peru report

rumatt
07-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Come on boys, let's hear it.

Andy, congrats on your first 2nd place finish. You're climbing the ladder step by step. Of course, I'm prepared to hear that you're not happy. :twisted:

John/Clyde: what's the story on the car drama before the event? How were those old 710's?

Sipe (if you're here): What's shakin'? Would love to hear some RX8 impressions if you're up for it.

Andy
07-04-2005, 11:34 PM
Andy, congrats on your first 2nd place finish. You're climbing the ladder step by step. Of course, I'm prepared to hear that you're not happy. :twisted:
Thanks Matt!! Yeah, it’s nice to finally get out of that 3rd place rut I had been in this year. I am happy with my 2nd place finish… but am certainly not content. I wanted that win in the worst way!!

After day one I was sitting in 2nd place, 4/10ths out of first and a full second in front of third. On day 2, I was only .014 off the leader’s time. That 4/10ths was just too much time for me to make up.

Overall, I had a great time last weekend, the days were long, but it was worth it!!

Clyde, John and Mark… Thanks for all the help, I enjoyed hanging out with you guys!!

Results:
http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/File/solo-05peru-sun.pdf

rumatt
07-04-2005, 11:38 PM
# 30 STX - 2003 BMW 330i

#30. Hmmmm... isn't that my number? :scratch:

:)

clyde
07-05-2005, 12:29 AM
John/Clyde: what's the story on the car drama before the event? How were those old 710's?

The short version is that we learned a whole lot...about a number of things in a number of ways. The big thing to come home with was the knowledge that on our best days, we are capable of running with the big boys.[/i]

John V
07-05-2005, 07:38 AM
The car broke, we fixed it, no big deal. A bit frightening at the time because we were slightly rushed to get it done, but it worked out in the end.

I had cone trouble all weekend on my fast runs (natch). Both Saturday and Sunday courses were excellent. There were elements that favored each B Stock car. Tight, hairpin corners leading to fast sections - 350Z. Wide-open sweepers - RX-8. Fast slaloms and right / left transitions - MR2 turbo.

Saturday was the story of GH and "everybody else." The Sipe / GH car hadn't broken yet and was blistering. My third run on saturday had a raw time that would have put me in the thick of the hunt for a trophy, but I coned it away early in the first slalom. I wasn't too upset - I've been trying to take tighter lines through slaloms in the RX-8 and I'm "getting there." Slowly. I had to stand on a run that was over a second slower than GH but within .25 of Strano and .3 of Mark. My goal was to move up. Clyde had a rough day with the car but managed a run that would keep him in the hunt. The car was performing very well and the lot had just phenomenal grip. I'm starting to feel like the car isn't the best in slaloms and could use a front bar. Preferably one that doesn't break... :eeps:

Sunday was frustrating. I blew my first run due to a brain fade, total newb move. My second run was +1 but the raw was within a couple tenths of the leaders. I was very happy about that - the cone I hit wasn't one that really helped me in terms of shaving time off. I made a bunch of mistakes elsewhere in the run, totally under-cooking a fast section and going off-line in the fast slalom - but it was still a quick raw time, something that's been elusive for me in this car. My third run HAD to be clean AND quick. Well, one out of two ain't bad, right? It would have been a good run except for overheating the front tires in the turnaround and not being smooth with the car. I lost about a half second overcooking the corner I hit the cone in on the previous run, slowing down, avoiding it, and getting back on track. Not bad considering.

Clyde pulled out a good run to beat me on the day by .15, but I had led him by about .3 from the previous day. We ended 5th and 6th, just out of the trophies. Realistically, we should have been 6th / 7th but for Mark's bad luck.

Overall, finishing 5th behind GH Sharp, Andy Hohl, Carter Thompson and Sam Strano is something I went home feeling very happy about. Mark should have beat us, but problems with his custom front bar made the car nearly undriveable after his first run (how GH turned the times he did with the broken car is something I'll never understand).

As always there was great camaraderie at the event and though the days were long (we left at 7:15PM Eastern time and I got home a little before 6 AM) and hot I think everyone had a good time.

Except maybe Mark.

As Clyde said we proved that we are very close to running with the pros in B Stock. Not bad for a couple of newbs really.

Congrats again to Andy, who is proving that the 330i can get it done in STX in the right hands. Andy helped us out *A LOT* this weekend and we owe him. Really a class act. :thumbup:

rumatt
07-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Nice writeup!

rumatt
07-05-2005, 01:06 PM
So Andy, what's your next big event? Devens? There's also the event in DC at the end July. I saw Courtney is registered in STX, but now the site seems to be down.

Andy
07-05-2005, 01:49 PM
So Andy, what's your next big event? Devens? There's also the event in DC at the end July. I saw Courtney is registered in STX, but now the site seems to be down.
The next big event for me will be the Toledo ProSolo Aug. 6th & 7th. After that it’s the ProSolo Finale and Nationals in September. I still have a few regional and divisional events between now and then.

In the ProSolo points series I think I’m sitting in 2nd behind Josh Sortor. The points standings were not updated after Oscoda, so I can’t say for sure. I have (2) third place finishes (13 + 13 = 26). Josh has (2) wins (20 + 20 = 40). They take your best two events plus the ProSolo Finale. If I can finish higher then 3rd in Toledo, that will put me a little close to Josh going into the final event. But then again, I’m guessing Tom Hoppe, Mike King and Courtney Cormier will show up in Toledo, which will change the standings a bit too. The Toledo Pro should be a lot of fun!!