PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Revised Car/Bike Waffle

Jason C
06-27-2005, 05:11 AM
A little while back I was wondering if I should split my car budget up in favor of getting a lesser-priced car and a bike. I was thinking about a daily beater (Hyundai Sonata), which is an exceedingly competent car but not exactly one that begs to be driven on a Sunday morning.

http://www.miata.net/news/nc_debut_files/06red.jpg

I just realized that for about the same price as the Hyundai, I could get the 6-Speed 2006+ Miata with the nice sport pack they're offering (bilsteins, sport suspension, LSD). The NC will be coming out in August. Isn't that an interesting option? I know it'll be highly involving without breaking my back in the process. And it's not like I'll be moving to it from a Z06 or the like, so I doubt I'll be too disappointed with the power.

I'm still waiting to hear more on the Solstice/Sky, but this is something I'm going to be keeping an eye on.

Downsides to this? Chance are good that I'll be accused of copying Roadstergal. :thumbdow: :tongue:

clyde
06-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Is there a reason that you have to buy new? For the price, there's a hell of a lot of interesting used cars available.

:dunno:

Jason C
06-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Is there a reason that you have to buy new? For the price, there's a hell of a lot of interesting used cars available.

:dunno:

I'm considering used too. It's just a question of what I'm willing to deal with (from a servicing standpoint). For example, I'd never buy anything powered by an S54.

EDIT: That's an issue with new cars too, but with a factory warranty, it's less of a concern.

lip277
06-27-2005, 10:43 AM
On that same thought - A used Miata can be an excellent value.

I'm sure RG can fill you in on the pertinent details.

:thumbup:

ff
06-27-2005, 11:02 AM
I'd be 1175% more likely to choose the Miata over the Soltice. The reasons are too numerous to list. The only advantage the soltice really has over the Miata, IMO, is the styling. Not that the Miata has bad styling. It's just that the Soltice looks pretty damn cool.

I can't even imagine owning a first-year GM. Talk about asking for trouble.

rumatt
06-27-2005, 11:09 AM

What he said.

Especially since you actually know how to work on cars. You should be ashamed of yourself, lemming. :twisted:

Jason C
06-27-2005, 11:17 AM
What he said.

Especially since you actually know how to work on cars. You should be ashamed of yourself, lemming. :twisted:
I'm considering used too. It's just a question of what I'm willing to deal with (from a servicing standpoint).

Techs are usually quite busy fixing other peoples problems. We rarely have the time or the patience to come home to more shit. I don't see many current or former techs driving complex/unreliable cars, and I think there's a good reason for this. I'd be less picky with a weekend car, but we're talking daily drivers here.

rumatt
06-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Techs are usually quite busy fixing other peoples problems. We rarely have the time or the patience to come home to more shit.

Yeah, I know. I was mostly kidding. :P

But the option of a 2-3 year old car is still something to consider. It will most likely be fine in terms of reliability, and on the off chance you did have a problem you would know how to handle it.

Jason C
07-11-2005, 12:36 AM
New MX-5 is better than the old one around the 'Ring by 15 seconds. :)

After some dealership visits this weekend, I'm thinking it's either this or the S2000. But I reserve the right to waffle.

rumatt
07-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Do you fit in the miata? I sure didn't.

Jason C
07-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Do you fit in the miata? I sure didn't.

I fit very, very well in the NB. Dare I say, a little better than the S2000.

Of course, it helps that I'll never ever have to shop at the big-n-tall store. :twisted:

ff
07-11-2005, 11:07 AM
NB?

Jason C
07-11-2005, 11:20 AM
NB?

NA, NB, NC. Miata 1st gen, 2nd gen, and 3rd gen, respectively.

Of course, the NB is all I have as a reference, seeing as it'll be about a month or so before I can actually purchase a NC at a dealership.

At this point, I definitely favor True Red/Black:

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2006/mazda.mx5/06.miata.f34.500.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2006/mazda.mx5/06.miata.blk.int.dpov.500.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2006/mazda.mx5/06.miata.ip.500.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2006/mazda.mx5/06.miata.6spshifter.500.jpg

I like the Solstice front better. I like the Sky rear better. In all, I prefer the styling (inside and out) of both GM roadsters to this. But unlike ff, what has me leaning towards the MX-5 *Miata* is not any issues I have with the GM brand but the fact that the Mazda will probably come in close to 300lbs lighter. That's very significant to me.

rumatt
07-11-2005, 11:27 AM
NB?

What a N00B question. :twisted:

Jason C
07-11-2005, 11:29 AM
NB?

What a N00B question. :twisted:

Around here, we refer to them types as "Poseurs."*

*Get with the times!

ff
07-11-2005, 01:14 PM
But unlike ff, what has me leaning towards the MX-5 *Miata* is not any issues I have with the GM brand but the fact that the Mazda will probably come in close to 300lbs lighter. That's very significant to me.

New Miata: 2441 lbs
New Solstice: 2860 lbs

You've got yourself a 419 lb difference. That's like the difference between driving in the car alone, and driving with William the Refrigerator Perry + 8 cases of bottled beer. Add in the perceived better quality, reliability, and existing track record of the Mazda, and it's an open-n-shut case.

Now, the problem is in choosing between the Mazda and the S2000.

Jason C
07-11-2005, 01:23 PM
But unlike ff, what has me leaning towards the MX-5 *Miata* is not any issues I have with the GM brand but the fact that the Mazda will probably come in close to 300lbs lighter. That's very significant to me.

New Miata: 2441 lbs
New Solstice: 2860 lbs

You've got yourself a 419 lb difference. That's like the difference between driving in the car alone, and driving with William the Refrigerator Perry + 8 cases of bottled beer. Add in the perceived better quality, reliability, and existing track record of the Mazda, and it's an open-n-shut case.

Now, the problem is in choosing between the Mazda and the S2000.

You picked the curb weight of the no-AC stripped down club sport MX-5 to suit your argument. :P

It's still about 350lbs of disadvantage on the part of the GM twins. That's just about insurmountable.

RE: MX-5 vs. S2000. Some things are definitely favoring the Mazda, especially the lower beltline, which they actually done a lot to retain for this gen while lowering the seating height. One thing I do not like about the S2000 is that the beltline is right up on top of my shoulders. I don't go for the 300C/350Z seating position, sorry. And the S2000 shifter is almost a lock for an advantage over any other car - with the exception (perhaps) of the Miata.

I'll see after some test-drives.

ff
07-11-2005, 02:46 PM
And the S2000 shifter is almost a lock for an advantage over any other car - with the exception (perhaps) of the Miata.

I'd have to drive the Miata again to judge the shifter. I don't recall it being anything special, compared to the S, when I testdrove the Mazdaspeed version.
The S2000's shifter is the finest I've ever felt. Hands down. And it makes snicking through the gears a total joy.

FC
07-11-2005, 03:02 PM
And the S2000 shifter is almost a lock for an advantage over any other car - with the exception (perhaps) of the Miata.

I'd have to drive the Miata again to judge the shifter. I don't recall it being anything special, compared to the S, when I testdrove the Mazdaspeed version.
The S2000's shifter is the finest I've ever felt. Hands down. And it makes snicking through the gears a total joy.

I sat in a Boxster S at the showroom with the factory Sport Shifter option ($760 :shock: ) and it felt pretty good. Hard and notchy, but extremely precise and short. I drove the Mazdaspeed, and compared to the ZHP's SSK it did not wow me. I've not tried the S2000's.

Jason C
07-11-2005, 03:07 PM
I drove the Mazdaspeed, and compared to the ZHP's SSK it did not wow me. I've not tried the S2000's.

The problem with both of you is that you sampled the mazdaspeed 6-speed, which by all accounts was new to Mazda, and therefore they couldn't quite get the shift feel as snick-snick as the 5-speed. All acounts from the preview in Hawaii indicates that the new MX-5 manuals are almost indistinguishable, with a slight nod going to the 5-speed.

And don't try the S2000 shifter if you're contemplating the porkchops. I think one guy on rennlist who owns both a GT3 and a S2000 said it the best - the S2000 shifter sucks, because once you try it everything else feels like crap.

Ignorance is bliss.

FC
07-11-2005, 03:20 PM
I drove the Mazdaspeed, and compared to the ZHP's SSK it did not wow me. I've not tried the S2000's.

The problem with both of you is that you sampled the mazdaspeed 6-speed, which by all accounts was new to Mazda, and therefore they couldn't quite get the shift feel as snick-snick as the 5-speed. All acounts from the preview in Hawaii indicates that the new MX-5 manuals are almost indistinguishable, with a slight nod going to the 5-speed.

And don't try the S2000 shifter if you're contemplating the porkchops. I think one guy on rennlist who owns both a GT3 and a S2000 said it the best - the S2000 shifter sucks, because once you try it everything else feels like crap.

Ignorance is bliss.

Perhaps.

But just FYI, the Sport Shifter option is new to the 987/997 cars, so his GT3 has some other shifter (that I am sure is pretty good).

I'm sure the S2000 is the best. THAT many people can't be wrong. ;)

clyde
07-11-2005, 04:27 PM

The MS Miata and RX-8 share the same six speed tranny. I don't know if the cars share the same shifter, though. If they do, it's not much of a contest, whether you picked the Miata's shifter or the S2000's shifter, you'd come out a real winner. Between the RX-8 and a 2000-2003 S2000, I'm not sure I could decide on which shifter I liked better. They're both that good. Anyone that suggests one is better than the other is quite obviously smoking crack. The NA Miata shifters were great (recalling when my brother's was new in 1991), but these are better.

Jason C
07-11-2005, 05:29 PM

The MS Miata and RX-8 share the same six speed tranny. I don't know if the cars share the same shifter, though. If they do, it's not much of a contest, whether you picked the Miata's shifter or the S2000's shifter, you'd come out a real winner. Between the RX-8 and a 2000-2003 S2000, I'm not sure I could decide on which shifter I liked better. They're both that good. Anyone that suggests one is better than the other is quite obviously smoking crack. The NA Miata shifters were great (recalling when my brother's was new in 1991), but these are better.

Hey, just passing the word around. The miata guys are pretty adamant that the initial 6-speed wasn't quite up to stuff feel-wise, and since it was on the mazdaspeed they've made some adjustments to it.

Roadstergal
07-11-2005, 06:25 PM
The 5-speed shifter on the old Miatae is terrific. My friend's LE 6-speed is great, but I liked the short snick of my 5-speed better. If you drive a race Miata, a lot of those have abused trannies, and I've come across a number of those where the shifting just plain sucks.

The Mazdaspeed NB is a nifty and comfy car, as is the LE, and I don't think you could go wrong from the comfort + performance tradeoff with either. If you want performance and to embarass bigger, more macho-looking cars, take an NA and go to town stripping it and strapping on a few well-chosen mods. The good thing about all Miatas, especially the NAs, is that 1) they have very few issues to start with, and 2) those they have have been painstakingly documented by enthusiasts.