PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a new truck.

Optimus Prime
06-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Just some pics until I have time to fill in the details. (and yes, the filename is kitten. We've been taking many pictures of the little guy and I forgot to change the name)

Optimus Prime
06-23-2005, 03:54 PM
one more

rumatt
06-23-2005, 03:56 PM
That's one mean looking kitten.

Jason C
06-23-2005, 03:59 PM
Are you and dredmo going to start a truckerevolution.com forum?

:flame:

Plaz
06-23-2005, 04:07 PM
My condolences. :P

ff
06-23-2005, 04:20 PM
How do you like it so far? The Colorado is waaaaaaaaaay better looking than the S-10 it replaces. Looks like it actually has some interior space too. Something that the S-10 never had.

blee
06-23-2005, 04:28 PM
GM's replacement for the S-10 was loooooong overdue. The buff book reviews have been so-so, but I got to go through the GMC version and thought that it was quite solid.

dredmo
06-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Very nice truck.

I have heard nothing but good from Chevy's new midsize line. In the past, Chevy has had some subpar products in the full size line, but even their new full size trucks are performing great.

Still though... piss on chevy! :devcool:

Optimus Prime
06-23-2005, 04:44 PM
I've driven 5 Ford rangers or their derivites since I've been old enough to drive, so a bowtie is a little new to me. The GM pricing is what did it for me, and the fact that the Ranger hasn't been completely redesigned in almost 14 years.

It just had a ton of little things my truck didn't. 4 doors, stronger engine, power everything, locking diff, etc. That 5 cylinder engine is way better than the ford v6. It's got torque from 1500 all the way to 5000 rpm's, and the tranny (stick) is a lot smoother than the Fords.

Overall I'm very pleased, although it is a bit odd to say I own a Chevy. :eeps:

Optimus Prime
06-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Still though... piss on chevy! :devcool:

I was wondering how wrong it would be to have a piss on chevy sticker...on a chevy?

:lol:

I used to be a huge "Ford rules, Chevy sucks" kinda guy...but now that I'm actually spending my own money on vehicles, brand loyality is easily thrown out the window.

clyde
06-23-2005, 06:09 PM
No prolonged and very public waffling followed by a quick gut reaction impulse buy of something totally different? I don't think that you belong here.

Optimus Prime
06-23-2005, 06:31 PM
No prolonged and very public waffling followed by a quick gut reaction impulse buy of something totally different? I don't think that you belong here.

:)
real men don't waffle.
:flame:

kognito
06-23-2005, 08:06 PM
can't beat those "employee" discounts right now.

Good luck with it. (Just don't start singing that Shania Twain song while you are driving it! :eeps: :lol: )

lemming
06-23-2005, 08:40 PM
cool.

so you got the manual?

'cause i rented one of those while i was in between cars one day last week and the automatic really sapped a lot of the fun of the truck.

vast improvement of the s10 pickup, too.

lip277
06-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Just curious.... Why not a full size?
The prices aren't that much different and (usually) the full size chassis' tend to do better for the long run (that applies to both Ford and GM - this comming from a past Ford guy - now favoring GM...)

I've had both...
F series (several)
S-10
Explorer
now a current style Yukon.

S-10 and Explorer did 'OK' - But the F and Yukon are in a different league - IMNSHO anyway.

Optimus Prime
06-26-2005, 12:59 PM
The prices aren't that much different and (usually) the full size chassis' tend to do better for the long run (that applies to both Ford and GM - this comming from a past Ford guy - now favoring GM...)

I've had both...
F series (several)
S-10
Explorer

S-10 and Explorer did 'OK' - But the F and Yukon are in a different league - IMNSHO anyway.

First reason is that they don't offer them in Stick. At least not with any options. When it comes to vehicles, a manual tranny is a must. Most manufactures don't seem to understand that SOME people want them. It blows my mind that Ford completely redesigned the F150 adding a fabulous frame, engine, styling, etc. But they only offer this old POS 4-speed auto.
:?

pintnight
06-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Congrats! I bought a 2005 Toyota Tundra DC last month. Awesome truck.

http://www.pintnight.com/photos/tundra/1.jpg
http://www.pintnight.com/photos/tundra/2.jpg
http://www.pintnight.com/photos/tundra/3.jpg
http://www.pintnight.com/photos/tundra/4.jpg
http://www.pintnight.com/photos/tundra/5.jpg
http://www.pintnight.com/photos/tundra/6.jpg

The back window can roll down.
http://www.pintnight.com/photos/tundra/7.jpg

Next two pictures is after I got the bed spread with Line-X
http://www.pintnight.com/photos/tundra/8.jpg
http://www.pintnight.com/photos/tundra/9.jpg

lip277
06-26-2005, 02:46 PM

I've had both...
F series (several)
S-10
Explorer

First reason is that they don't offer them in Stick. At least not with any options. When it comes to vehicles, a manual tranny is a must. Most manufactures don't seem to understand that SOME people want them. It blows my mind that Ford completely redesigned the F150 adding a fabulous frame, engine, styling, etc. But they only offer this old POS 4-speed auto.

I guess that's a matter of opinion (although I do get what you mean)

I have used trucks as, well... trucks.
For me is was about hauling and towing. Transmission for having 'fun' was not any consideration. The 'POS' 4 speed auto does what it does and does it well. If I wanted a sports car, I'd not have bought a truck. :flipoff: (j/k)

Jason C
06-26-2005, 02:47 PM
My condolences. :P

x2. :twisted:

Optimus Prime
06-26-2005, 03:07 PM

I've had both...
F series (several)
S-10
Explorer

For me is was about hauling and towing. Transmission for having 'fun' was not any consideration. The 'POS' 4 speed auto does what it does and does it well. If I wanted a sports car, I'd not have bought a truck. :flipoff: (j/k)

I don't see a manual as being for "sports". Being able to select the gears and control the clutch allows me an extra level of control. I've got some expeirence driving large trucks (semi's) and I just feel a lot more comofortable with a manual. Besides the fact that they are cheaper, they're generally stronger, get better fuel milage and are a lot cheaper to fix.

If Ford had put a "serious" auto in the F150, maybe I'd consider it, but that POS 4-speed auto is known to break under serious work loads. They've got a fabulous "work" auto in the Torqueshift 5-speed. Why not offer that? At least that's designed for truck use and it does the job fairly well.

Overall I think it's fairly narrowminded to consider a manual's only benifit is for "sport".

lip277
06-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Overall I think it's fairly narrowminded to consider a manual's only benifit is for "sport".

Well...

Like I said before - If you want to buy a truck - get a truck. If you want a toy - I guess a Ranger or S-10 ain't too bad. Just don't try to tow or haul too much.

That and it's really surprising how much the smaller trucks cost compared to thier bigger cousins. We (the business) considered getting a few Rangers several years back. We actually could get a full size "work truck" for maybe $500 more (and it had a stick :flipoff: ).

this is too much fun.....

Roadstergal
06-26-2005, 07:43 PM
What's it for?

Edit - sorry, I didn't mean it to come out like that, but I saw a bicker a-brewing with insufficient information. :P

Optimus Prime
06-26-2005, 10:43 PM
What's it for?

Edit - sorry, I didn't mean it to come out like that, but I saw a bicker a-brewing with insufficient information. :P

-Personal Transportation. When the weather's a little too foul to ride the bike.
-Holiday transportation. Since we live in the Midwest and the family is all spread out we end up putting a lot of miles on late at night during the holidays. The past 4 years or so this has involved snow. It's never been bad enough to need 4x4, but it's nice to have the larger tires, ground clearance, and rear locker.
-Hauling stuff. I don't haul a lot, but several times a year something seems to come up where having the truck is super valuable.

Overall I put between 5,000 and 10,000 miles on a year. Since I've had the Beemer the miles I've logged in my truck have been very few. I find that trading some towing ability for fuel-economy and parking ability suits me better. I don't do any "serious" work with it often enough to justify a full-size.

lip277-
I know a number of people who've worked the Ford 4-speed auto tranny hard and had it hold up, but I also know a number of guys who've had that tranny let them down several times. It just seems silly to spend all the time and effort to design a brand new truck from the ground up and use an old and relatively inferior transmission when compared with the rest of the truck. I would've looked at the F150 if it had a better tranny, torqueshift or manual, as that's my preference.

You inferred my preference was related purely to fun, while making a jab at my use of a truck as something other than a truck. I disagree and take offense. There are many reasons for this preference, but "fun" is not one of them, and I'll use my vehicles any damn way I please. I don't bang on you for not using your "sports" cars in a sporting manner as defined by me. (Edit: deleted firestarter) :grouphug:

lip277
06-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Geezzeee Kid - Lighten up.

We can agree to disagree (or have a difference of opinion). My opinion is based on 1.5 or so million miles driving (amongst other things) full size trucks.

But as you wish - It's your wallet and the only person you have to satisfy is yourself. Not a big deal - I just trying to figure out what/why you did what you did.

kognito
06-27-2005, 08:11 AM

I've had both...
F series (several)
S-10
Explorer

I don't see a manual as being for "sports". Being able to select the gears and control the clutch allows me an extra level of control. I've got some expeirence driving large trucks (semi's) and I just feel a lot more comofortable with a manual. Besides the fact that they are cheaper, they're generally stronger, get better fuel milage and are a lot cheaper to fix.

If Ford had put a "serious" auto in the F150, maybe I'd consider it, but that POS 4-speed auto is known to break under serious work loads. They've got a fabulous "work" auto in the Torqueshift 5-speed. Why not offer that? At least that's designed for truck use and it does the job fairly well.

One of the reasons I went with my GMC Sierra is that it was available with an Allison transmission. I'm towing a 10,000+ pound 5th wheel with it, and I didn't want to worry about tranny problems. I also liked it's spin off oil filter and particle trap.

lip277
06-27-2005, 09:45 AM
One of the reasons I went with my GMC Sierra is that it was available with an Allison transmission. I'm towing a 10,000+ pound 5th wheel with it, and I didn't want to worry about tranny problems. I also liked it's spin off oil filter and particle trap.

Absolutely. The Duramax/Allison is a very very nice combo. I just wish it was available in the Suburban/YXL. We used to have an old mid-80's Suburban with a diesel. It actually did a decent job. I'd consider the Ford as well but I don't want to get as big as an Excursion. Both my brothers have SuperDutys. I'll pass. Maybe the new ones are better (my brother just bought an 06 - I guess I'll find out)

kognito
06-27-2005, 11:07 AM

Absolutely. The Duramax/Allison is a very very nice combo. I just wish it was available in the Suburban/YXL. We used to have an old mid-80's Suburban with a diesel. It actually did a decent job. I'd consider the Ford as well but I don't want to get as big as an Excursion. Both my brothers have SuperDutys. I'll pass. Maybe the new ones are better (my brother just bought an 06 - I guess I'll find out)

I think I read at dieselforums that the D/A is going to be added back into the surburban for 07 :dunno:

ff
06-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Absolutely. The Duramax/Allison is a very very nice combo.

Indeed. I've heard nothing but great things about that combo.

kognito
06-27-2005, 12:02 PM
I like my rear tires, so I don't do this often. But when the engine and trans are up to "normal" temparatures, I can break the rear tires loose in 2nd and 3rd gear just by jumping on the gas pedal.

A couple of weeks ago I "blew the doors off" a new GTO at a traffic light run. (I did have to engage 4 wheel first so the rears don't go up in smoke, and had to throttle brake a little to get the turbo wound up)

lip277
06-27-2005, 12:07 PM
I like my rear tires, so I don't do this often. But when the engine and trans are up to "normal" temparatures, I can break the rear tires loose in 2nd and 3rd gear just by jumping on the gas pedal.

A couple of weeks ago I "blew the doors off" a new GTO at a traffic light run. (I did have to engage 4 wheel first so the rears don't go up in smoke, and had to throttle brake a little to get the turbo wound up)

:thumbup:
Gotta love that torque!