PDA

View Full Version : M3 down on power?

zach
06-22-2005, 03:03 PM
I drove the M3 for the first time in a few days last night (dad had been borrowing it), and it didn't feel right. It felt slower than usual for some reason. I suppose it could be just me, but I really noticed it.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on? Are there a bunch of things I can check to make sure everything is right with the motor?

Thanks.

TD
06-22-2005, 03:09 PM
What have you been driving in the interim? Maybe it's just slow in comparison.

But it could be something as minor as bad gas or as major as a VANOS failure.

Rob
06-22-2005, 03:11 PM
My first guess would have been a VANOS sensor going bad leaving the car in non-vanos mode (which takes away a LOT of power).

Any fault codes? Plug the reader in and see what it says.

zach
06-22-2005, 03:18 PM
What have you been driving in the interim? Maybe it's just slow in comparison.

But it could be something as minor as bad gas or as major as a VANOS failure.

Been driving a base Jetta. The M3 should feel like a fucking F1 car.

Edit: a VANOS failure is preferred over other serious engine failures.

zach
06-22-2005, 03:19 PM
My first guess would have been a VANOS sensor going bad leaving the car in non-vanos mode (which takes away a LOT of power).

Any fault codes? Plug the reader in and see what it says.

Duh. I forgot I even had the thing.

Zach is dumb.

rumatt
06-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Zach is dumb.

Very.

JST
06-22-2005, 03:47 PM
I drove the M3 for the first time in a few days last night (dad had been borrowing it), and it didn't feel right. It felt slower than usual for some reason. I suppose it could be just me, but I really noticed it.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on? Are there a bunch of things I can check to make sure everything is right with the motor?

Thanks.

Any other symptoms? Rattling sounds? Misfiring sounds? CEL?

clyde
06-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Zach is dumb.

Very.

Then why does he keep telling me how smart he is? :?

zach
06-22-2005, 03:58 PM

Thanks.

Any other symptoms? Rattling sounds? Misfiring sounds? CEL?

Nope, none of that.

lip277
06-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Could it be an adaptive transmission or engine program not remembering how 'you' drove? Maybe you Dad had a lighter foot and the car is rembering that.

I know when I got the 740i, my driving style was not in tune with the car at first. It shifted hard and was 'aggressive' for lack of a better way to say it. I know that I get 2mpg better mileage (now) than the PO did.

:)

Either way-
Just a thought.