PDA

View Full Version : BMW Produces 500,000th X5 Sports Activity Vehicle

SCA
06-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Spartanburg, S.C. (6/9/2005) — BMW Manufacturing Co. produced its 500,000th X5 Sports Activity Vehicle today, just five and a half years after its market introduction.

The milestone vehicle is an X5 3.0d, equipped with a 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder diesel engine and outfitted with the BMW Individual Maritime package, consisting of Midnight Blue exterior paint, Walknappa Champagne leather, Mahogany Maritime fine-wood trim, and BMW individual light alloy V-spoke 19-inch wheels.

The 500,000th X5 will be shipped and delivered to a customer in Hamburg, Germany.

The first X5 sports activity vehicle rolled off the production lines at BMW Manufacturing's Spartanburg plant on September 1, 1999. Less than two years later, the 100,000th X5 milestone was reached on August 23, 2001.

The X5 sports activity vehicle is produced exclusively at BMW Manufacturing Co. for distribution to more than 120 worldwide markets. BMW is the largest exporter of U.S.-made automobiles, exporting 60 percent of its production.

Theo
06-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Ohh I like that color. Thats the first shot of midnight blue I have seen.

Those don't look like 19's though. :?

ZBB
06-20-2005, 05:52 PM
So can you tell me again why Individual options are not avail in the US???

SCA
06-20-2005, 06:02 PM
So can you tell me again why Individual options are not avail in the US???

Seriously...The X5 and Z4 are built in the US for worldwide sales, but no Individual options for the US...even though BMW is building cars here with them. Lame! :rolleyes:

nate
06-20-2005, 06:05 PM
That is a nice looking X5.

John V
06-20-2005, 06:09 PM
BMW Produces 500,000th X5 Sports Activity Vehicle

and soccer moms across the country celebrate with an iced latte and a new Coach purse.

SCA
06-20-2005, 06:10 PM

and soccer moms across the country celebrate with an iced latte and a new Coach purse.

The X5 isn't your normal SUV and this is coming from someone who hates SUVs.

BTW, I see more men driving X5s vs. women.

TD
06-20-2005, 06:16 PM

Yes, it's not ordinary in that it has even less utility than most. So what if it can perform better ON ROAD than other SUVs. It'll still get spanked by a 5-series wagon in every respect, including cargo capacity. And as far as offroad, :lol: .

It's a stupid vehicle for lemmings too insecure to just buy a wagon.

SCA
06-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Yes, it's not ordinary in that it has even less utility than most. So what if it can perform better ON ROAD than other SUVs. It'll still get spanked by a 5-series wagon in every respect, including cargo capacity. And as far as offroad, :lol: .

It's a stupid vehicle for lemmings too insecure to just buy a wagon.

I'd take an E39 5-Series sedan anyday, but I would also take an X5 over a 5-Series wagon too. Sorry...I'm just not a wagon kind of guy. :eeps:

SARAFIL
06-20-2005, 06:25 PM
I'd take E39 5-Series sedan anyday, but I would also take an X5 over a 5-Series wagon to. Sorry...I'm just not a wagon kind of guy. :eeps:

:thumbup:

I guess TD just doesn't "get it".

TD
06-20-2005, 06:38 PM
I'd take E39 5-Series sedan anyday, but I would also take an X5 over a 5-Series wagon to. Sorry...I'm just not a wagon kind of guy. :eeps:

Get what?

Whatever it is, I'm much happier without it.

I can see Sarafil defending them because they mean $$$$ to him. But Sean, come on.

SCA
06-20-2005, 06:46 PM

I can see Sarafil defending them because they mean $$$$ to him. But Sean, come on.

I'm currently driving a 2002 3.0 X5 w/ SP, PP, CWP, Sport Seats, and RCP. Better than Old Whitey with no A/C. Speaking of...the A/C in the X5 is damn cold no matter what temp it is at.

Edit: It is a bit faster than the E34 525i too. :thumbup:

FC
06-20-2005, 09:14 PM

I'm currently driving a 2002 3.0 X5 w/ SP, PP, CWP, Sport Seats, and RCP. Better than Old Whitey with no A/C. Speaking of...the A/C in the X5 is damn cold no matter what temp it is at.

The more I think about it, the more I am becoming resigned to owning an SUV as a family car because of the pricing. I'd consider an X5 if it had more cargo. But it doesn't, so I wont. The new ML class with its 320CDI engine (30+mpg!!!) and off road package seems to me like a no brainer as trip/winter/tow/cargo vehicle.

zach
06-20-2005, 09:15 PM

The more I think about it, the more I am becoming resigned to owning an SUV as a family car because of the pricing. I'd consider an X5 if it had more cargo. But it doesn't, so I wont. The new ML class with its 320CDI engine (30+mpg!!!) and off road package seems to me like a no brainer as trip/winter/tow/cargo vehicle.

I love my mom's X5.

SARAFIL
06-20-2005, 09:39 PM
I love my mom's X5.

Last week I was talking to our new VP of Manufacturer Relations, and we started talking about new product and the upcoming next-gen X5. This guy knows his shit-- he spent several years working for BMWNA where he previously was the brand manager for Range Rover and later worked with Mini before joining our company.

He claims the new X5 will be bigger where it counts, offering more cargo capacity and the much-desired 3rd row seat option. Also, he says that the styling won't be as flashy as other recent BMWs. Other than the speculation I've heard from other sources, I tend to believe what he is seeing because I'm pretty sure that he's actually seen insider info on the car that the general public doesn't have access to.

SARAFIL
06-20-2005, 09:43 PM

Get what?

I'm pretty sure that you've never driven an X5. I'm also pretty sure that you have no desire to ever drive one. With all that said, I'm also sure that you have no clue what you're talking about regarding the X5 because you really don't know much about them. I can't say I really give any credibility to your views since I know it is based entirely on your total anti-SAV/anti-SUV attitude and not on any experiences with the X5.

I'd give you some more credit if you actually came out one day and said "I drove it, and I didn't like it," instead of "I don't like that type if vehicle, so it must automatically be a piece of crap."

SARAFIL
06-20-2005, 09:45 PM

The new ML350 in standard trim looks remarkably undesireable, but it sure changes when you throw the appearance package (whatever MB calls it) on the car with bigger wheels and some different body treatment. The style itself isn't too bad, but the stock wheels and boring bumpers/grille make the base model look really dull.

lemming
06-20-2005, 09:45 PM
I love my mom's X5.

Last week I was talking to our new VP of Manufacturer Relations, and we started talking about new product and the upcoming next-gen X5. This guy knows his shit-- he spent several years working for BMWNA where he previously was the brand manager for Range Rover and later worked with Mini before joining our company.

He claims the new X5 will be bigger where it counts, offering more cargo capacity and the much-desired 3rd row seat option. Also, he says that the styling won't be as flashy as other recent BMWs. Other than the speculation I've heard from other sources, I tend to believe what he is seeing because I'm pretty sure that he's actually seen insider info on the car that the general public doesn't have access to.

it's good to have a cash cow vehicle. if it wasn't for the x5 and the soon to be made in the US x3, BMW sales would be down for the past year, after all.

i am thoroughly unimpressed with the x5 3.0, the x5 4.4 is adequate --i find the dynamics of the fx45 superior to either (fx35 is fine, too). i can understand the appeal of these vehicles but don't really appreciate the people who drive them so much when they choose to do so "aggressively" in traffic.

SARAFIL
06-20-2005, 09:51 PM
I love my mom's X5.

it's good to have a cash cow vehicle. if it wasn't for the x5 and the soon to be made in the US x3, BMW sales would be down for the past year, after all.

i am thoroughly unimpressed with the x5 3.0, the x5 4.4 is adequate --i find the dynamics of the fx45 superior to either (fx35 is fine, too). i can understand the appeal of these vehicles but don't really appreciate the people who drive them so much when they choose to do so "aggressively" in traffic.

The X5 3.0 is "adequate" for most normal people. I agree it needs more power to really stand out. It's great for most of the people that buy them, but I think it desperately needs more power. It'll be nice to see the new engine in the next-gen model.

I think the X5 4.4 is a great car with the Sport Package and the 19" wheels. It has a nice look to it, handles well for a vehicle of its type, and has good performance.

My big problem with the FX is the space-ship styling inside and out. I'm a huge fan of the more conservative styling of the X5. It's still one of my favorite BMW designs (ok... I'm ready to get a bunch of heat on that one!! :flame: ) I'll admit that Infiniti has a strong advantage with their use of technology, features, and a good set of dynamics and power.

lemming
06-20-2005, 10:00 PM
the fx is funny looking.

i think of it as an M coupe on stilts and it's partly why i like it. it can easily be mistaken for that automotive anathema of a car that is the rx330 from the rear, which is appalling.

infiniti must have hit a nerve if BMW is really going to roll out the x6.

zach
06-20-2005, 10:00 PM
The X5 3.0 is "adequate" for most normal people. I agree it needs more power to really stand out. It's great for most of the people that buy them, but I think it desperately needs more power. It'll be nice to see the new engine in the next-gen model.

I think the X5 4.4 is a great car with the Sport Package and the 19" wheels. It has a nice look to it, handles well for a vehicle of its type, and has good performance.

My big problem with the FX is the space-ship styling inside and out. I'm a huge fan of the more conservative styling of the X5. It's still one of my favorite BMW designs (ok... I'm ready to get a bunch of heat on that one!! :flame: ) I'll admit that Infiniti has a strong advantage with their use of technology, features, and a good set of dynamics and power.

I think the X5 has the best BMW interior in many many years.

SCA
06-20-2005, 10:02 PM
[quote="lemming"][quote="SARAFIL"][quote=zcasavant]The X5 3.0 is "adequate" for most normal people. I agree it needs more power to really stand out. It's great for most of the people that buy them, but I think it desperately needs more power. It'll be nice to see the new engine in the next-gen model.

We drove a 4.4 a few months ago. The additional torque is a plus for those fast starts, but on the interstate it is not any quicker than the 3.0, at least judging by the butt dyno.

I don't care for the design of the FX or it's exceptionally rough ride. The power of either engine is nice.

BTW, the resale values on the X5 are still strong.

SARAFIL
06-20-2005, 11:00 PM
BTW, the resale values on the X5 are still strong.

Very strong!! Once they get over that initial first year drop, they depreciate very slowly.

A few months ago, we sold a 2001 X5 4.4 in very rough condition with 107,000 miles for over $20,000 **wholesale** to another broker. These cars are very popular with the Russians and they are being bought for top dollar to be shipped over to Russia.

rumatt
06-20-2005, 11:36 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

lemming
06-21-2005, 06:43 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

just for perspective: this is how many F150s sell per year and about how many exploDERs sell per year.

does anyone know the sales stoichiometry between the X5 3.0 and the X5 4.4 versions? i know the 325 typically outsells the 330 3:1 or 4:1 during most sales phases.

John V
06-21-2005, 07:18 AM

I've driven an X5 3.0. I didn't hate it, but I saw absolutely no reason I would ever want to own one. A 6-speed 540i wagon is infinitely cooler, plus it has more room, handles well (the same could not be said for the X5) and had a nice ride. Nevermind the fact that it'll trounce the 4.4L X5 in fuel economy and still be faster.

I'll admit at this point that I don't get it. :?

Plaz
06-21-2005, 07:18 AM
Impressive and interesting. This led me to try and calculate how many dumps I've taken in my life, and I think I'm probably still well below 15,000.

kognito
06-21-2005, 07:38 AM
I love my mom's X5.

I thought I heard somewhere that there was a 2 door version of the X5 in the works??

kognito
06-21-2005, 07:39 AM
I love my mom's X5.

I thought I heard somewhere that there was a 2 door version of the X5 in the works??

kognito
06-21-2005, 07:40 AM
I love my mom's X5.

FC
06-21-2005, 08:13 AM
does anyone know the sales stoichiometry between the X5 3.0 and the X5 4.4 versions?

:lol:

...and I thought I was a geek. :rolleyes:

:twisted:

JST
06-21-2005, 08:17 AM
I love my mom's X5.

I've read that a couple of different places now.

SARAFIL
06-21-2005, 08:28 AM
does anyone know the sales stoichiometry between the X5 3.0 and the X5 4.4 versions?

...and I thought I was a geek. :rolleyes:

It's roughly 3 6 cyl. for each V8.

SCA
06-21-2005, 10:11 AM
I've driven an X5 3.0. I didn't hate it, but I saw absolutely no reason I would ever want to own one. A 6-speed 540i wagon is infinitely cooler, plus it has more room, handles well (the same could not be said for the X5) and had a nice ride. Nevermind the fact that it'll trounce the 4.4L X5 in fuel economy and still be faster.

I'll admit at this point that I don't get it. :?

Wagons just don't sale for shit in the southeast. :dunno:

John V
06-21-2005, 10:42 AM

And your point is.... what exactly?

rumatt
06-21-2005, 10:46 AM

I could be wrong, but I think he's pointing out that the wagons don't sell particularly in the southeast.

:mad:

TD
06-21-2005, 10:49 AM

I could be wrong, but I think he's pointing out that the wagons don't sell particularly in the southeast.

But how does that impact whether or not they are "better" for their intended purpose than SUVs (er, SAVs)?

Manual transmissions don't "sale well" either. But I don't see any of us here making arguments in favorite of automatics based on that fact.

John V
06-21-2005, 11:14 AM
But how does that impact whether or not they are "better" for their intended purpose than SUVs (er, SAVs)?

:thumbup: For a guy who "doesn't get it," you sure seem to "get it."

If you know what I mean.

And I think you do.

ZBB
06-21-2005, 11:40 AM
I love my mom's X5.

Rumors are of a 4-door "coupe" X6... sort of a MB CLS crossed with an X5.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Spy_Shots/Spy_Shots_08_BMW_X6.S178.A8788.html

lemming
06-21-2005, 12:31 PM
I love my mom's X5.

Rumors are of a 4-door "coupe" X6... sort of a MB CLS crossed with an X5.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Spy_Shots/Spy_Shots_08_BMW_X6.S178.A8788.html

the x6 looks okay; the fx35 is a fun drive on a highly anecdotal basis. it has enough grunt to move out of its own way as well as plenty of power to accelerate from legal to superlegal speeds. that just isn't something you can say about the x5 3.0 or even the x3 3.0.

and the deal with the x5 4.4 or the x5 4.8 (to me) is that it's a lot of money and when driven back to back with the fx35 and fx45, the person with the final decision making power wasn't me and that person found the x5s and x3s unappealing.

i really wouldn't care all that much had it been a toureg, a cayenne S, an X5 or an FX. whatever. completely neutral. the best thing one can say about the X5 is that it's own entity and its parts are from a great car (the e39, right?). all of the other luxury SAV-type vehicles (fx is excepted, it's got great DNA from the 350Z car) have less than thrilling corporate chassis componentry.

ff
06-21-2005, 01:02 PM

Jason C
06-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Impressive and interesting. This led me to try and calculate how many dumps I've taken in my life, and I think I'm probably still well below 15,000.

:dump: :lol:

SCA
06-21-2005, 03:58 PM

That was my point. The wagons I do see are Vovlo wagons with soccer Moms drving them. ;)

SCA
06-21-2005, 04:02 PM

Our local BMW Center would only order E34 or E39 wagons if it was a pre-sold unit, otherwise it would sit on the lot for many months. They actually had one sit on the lot for over a year.

John V
06-21-2005, 04:12 PM

That was my point. The wagons I do see are Vovlo wagons with soccer Moms drving them. ;)

Your point was that you won't buy one because they don't sell (sale?)well? :?

I guess the difference is whether you buy based on the image of a model or based on its performance, utility and price. I'm in the latter camp.

TD
06-21-2005, 04:26 PM

Your point was that you won't buy one because they don't sell (sale?)well? :?

I guess the difference is whether you buy based on the image of a model or based on its performance, utility and price. I'm in the latter camp.

Most of the "soccer mom" types I see on the road are driving SUVs not wagons.

And I'll take "soccer mom" stigma over "insecure lemming" stigma any day.

There is no logical reason to purchase an X5 over a 5-series wagon. Hell, even Jon Shafer bought an E39 wagon (after having had an X5). Then again, he also has an E36 M3 now :eeps: .

SCA
06-21-2005, 04:26 PM

Ok...in this part of the country (SE) the wagon has the stigma of being a "Mom's" car just as much as an SUV. It also is labaled as treehugger mobile for the earthy type (I'm just the messenger) I like neither (SUVs or Wagons) and would purchase neither. I am driving an X5 simply becasue it was loaned to me to drive. It's free, it has cold A/C, and is a hell of a lot newer than what I was driving. Again...if I had $40k plus burning a hole in my wallet it would NOT go towards purchasing an SUV or a wagon. I would purchase a used E39 530i/540i sport or a 2004 330i ZHP and pocket the change,but since my ass is broke, I will drive a loaned X5.

SCA
06-21-2005, 04:40 PM

There is no logical reason to purchase an X5 over a 5-series wagon. Hell, even Jon Shafer bought an E39 wagon (after having had an X5). Then again, he also has an E36 M3 now :eeps: .

Ok...my observation. I see a lot more women driving wagons (Country Club Moms) vs. men. I personally know of only one person that drives a wagon (older S4) vs. several friends with SUVs. Of course the guy that owns the S4 wagon is in total denial as he calls it a 'sport hatch' and not a wagon. As I previously mentioned I see a good deal of men driving X5s within our area, most of them are Doctors/Lawyers. The women I see driving SUVs are driving Yukons, Tahoes, and Suburbans. Usually they are 5'5" or less and mostly skin and bones.

SARAFIL
06-21-2005, 05:46 PM

Our local BMW Center would only order E34 or E39 wagons if it was a pre-sold unit, otherwise it would sit on the lot for many months. They actually had one sit on the lot for over a year.

We had a brand new leftover 2002 540iAT sitting on our showroom the day our acquisition was finalized in April 2003. It had probably been on the lot for about a year and a half. We couldn't give the car away-- we had the factory invoice right on the windshield and we begged people to make any offer. And it sat, and it sat, and it sat for months on end, every once in a while finding a new home in a different spot in the showroom.

Right after the buy-sell, one of the executives was shocked to see that we had the car on the books for that long (imagine what the interest expense was on that $50,000+ car for the time we sat on it), and he ordered that we make it disappear. We sent it to the auction, and it sold for a sum of money that to this day still makes me crazy.

TD
06-21-2005, 05:50 PM

We had a brand new leftover 2002 540iAT sitting on our showroom the day our acquisition was finalized in April 2003. It had probably been on the lot for about a year and a half. We couldn't give the car away-- we had the factory invoice right on the windshield and we begged people to make any offer. And it sat, and it sat, and it sat for months on end, every once in a while finding a new home in a different spot in the showroom.

Right after the buy-sell, one of the executives was shocked to see that we had the car on the books for that long (imagine what the interest expense was on that $50,000+ car for the time we sat on it), and he ordered that we make it disappear. We sent it to the auction, and it sold for a sum of money that to this day still makes me crazy.

We have all already acknowledged that those of you with a vested interest in BMW sales do not like wagons.

I mean, we know that a car with cloth seats and no moonroof is practically sale-proof as well. But that doesn't mean those choices aren't preferable for an enthusiast.

nate
06-21-2005, 05:54 PM

Very few people believe in the insecure lemming stigma, but the soccer mom stigma is widespread.

TD
06-21-2005, 05:57 PM

Very few people believe in the insecure lemming stigma, but the soccer mom stigma is widespread.

On the stigma front, I'd drive a POS Yugo before I'd ever drive a Hummer.

With the Yugo, I'd only look poor. And there's nothing inherently wrong with being poor.

The Hummer on the other hand...

nate
06-21-2005, 05:59 PM

With the Yugo, I'd only look poor. And there's nothing inherently wrong with being poor.

I'd take the Hummer and run over your Yugo :kekeke:

TD
06-21-2005, 06:05 PM

It's truly remarkable...

Simply imagining yourself in a Hummer has turned you into a selfish dick.

nate
06-21-2005, 06:08 PM

It's truly remarkable...

Simply imagining yourself in a Hummer has turned you into a selfish dick.

Dude, I was a selfish dick long before imagining that.

SCA
06-21-2005, 07:33 PM

Hmm...last time I checked I was poor. :eeps: Wait......yup, still officially poor. :speechle:

SCA
06-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Dude, I was a selfish dick long before imagining that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: At least you can admit it. :thumbup:

lemming
06-21-2005, 09:36 PM
The X5 is no more a BMW than that VW truck a P car. :flipoff:

BMW used to be a sports sedan company, and Porsche used to be a sports car company.

Now they are just a car company like everyone else.

Before, people do not cross shop. If you want a Porsche, you get the 911. If you want a BMW, you get your 3, 5, 7 series.

Now they are just car companies that churn out poseur mobiles in the name of "staying independent."

BMW would have done just fine without the X5 and Bangle.

Porsche would have done just fine without the VW truck.

having the x5 and x3 is a smart move for the company. i do not dispute that. i agree that there are not really core company values in the vehicles. compared to their competition, it is a decent product but compared to their core values, it's a joke (for both german companies).

but at least porsche doesn't take themselves seriously. to them, it's just like porsche golf clubs. it's a truly self-aware cynical move and they laugh about it. BMW takes it seriously --but they sort of have to because without the x5 and x3, their sales were down for the year; porsche car sales for the 997 and revamped 987 have picked up after some staleness.

dan
06-21-2005, 09:58 PM

We have all already acknowledged that those of you with a vested interest in BMW sales do not like wagons.

I mean, we know that a car with cloth seats and no moonroof is practically sale-proof as well. But that doesn't mean those choices aren't preferable for an enthusiast.

Um, I think his story indicates that BMW customers do not like wagons either.

rumatt
06-21-2005, 10:08 PM

:lol: :lol:

lemming
06-21-2005, 10:11 PM

Um, I think his story indicates that BMW customers do not like wagons either.

the BMW wagons are expensive. that's problem #1. the next problem is that they never offer the good engines over here. we only get the desperately competent but nothing more 325iT's here --no 330iT. and the choices for the 5 series also made it either pukey slow (525iT) or expensive with a super limited market: 540iT.

nice job missing the boat, BMW. for an entire generation --the 4matic is the class standard and still is. i wonder if the new 530xiT will even make a dent because it still looks funny and the set that buys these things undoubtedly prefers the hushed understatement of wealth that the E350 and E500 wagons (with 4matic) make.

ff
06-21-2005, 10:44 PM

Maybe it's the fact that the car cost over $50K :rolleyes: How many snobby people with kids, shopping for cars in that price range, wants a wagon? My guess is that they're looking at the Ass-calade, or some similar no-dick-mobile.

lemming
06-21-2005, 10:50 PM
a helluva lot of people with wellesley, ma zip code addressed pony up 55k or so for 4matic wagons.

it's almost the car of choice that goes with those little nantucket basket purse thingies.

maybe that's just a pretentioius brahmin thing, these 4matic wagons and how ubiquitous they are in the western suburbs?