PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari FXX: hype or something special?

lemming
06-15-2005, 08:57 PM
the ultimate in entitled pomposity or something truly sublime?

$1.8e6 USD.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102590

Roadstergal
06-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Is that a trick question?

You know, one of the reasons I don't drool over Ferraris is that most of them offer mega-performance that their clients don't use. I've heard from a couple of track instructors that the Ferrari clubs talk the biggest and drive the worst. I see Ferraris around Bellevue a lot, driven by guys cruising for chicks.

An E30 or Miata being driven 10/10 at the track is a better 'performance' machine, IMO.

blee
06-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Wow. Only 20 of these things. I don't know if it's going to be *that* much stronger of a car, but the exclusivity and the price will make this car "worth it" to those with the cash. I hope to see at least one of those 20 on a track somewhere.

lemming
06-15-2005, 09:57 PM
you'd have to be one helluva driver to be able to harness the 800hp in that car --and as r'gal pointed out, you could get that level of performance from many, many, many other cars at their limits.

the car appeals to me on the performance level, but it sure seems ridiculous. but that just means i couldn't afford one because i'd be too fi-xx-ated on the price.

Mathew
06-15-2005, 09:57 PM
$1.8e6

:lol:

Gotta love quoting prices in scientific notation.

Pinecone
06-16-2005, 07:11 AM
Yeap, they are going to REALLY listen to owbers over such people as MS and RB on how the car drives.

FC
06-16-2005, 08:02 AM
"...that will go to Maranello’s “most dedicated and passionate clients,” selected by an in-house committee."

:rolleyes: :lol:

Yeah, I'm sure money has nothing to do with it.

I agree. This car is just ridiculous. If I had that kind of money, I'd build build my own track and buy an F1 car. That is a performace car.

Let's face it, this car will be a museum/collector's piece. All 20 of them.

Josh (PA)
06-16-2005, 10:48 AM
That's one car I would take without A/C. Personally, I like the idea of buying into a Ferrari racing experience.

lip277
06-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Ferrari will not homologate the FXX for road use
Ferrari will transport those vehicles to the various European circuits

So it looks like we won't see any of these on the road. Europe or anywhere else. Not that I would expect to see one, but - If I was going to get a 'race' car, I'd probably want to get a real 'race' car (not one that looks like a fancy road car)

Just my thoughts.

Does look slick though. :)

FC
06-16-2005, 01:33 PM
So it looks like we won't see any of these on the road. Europe or anywhere else. Not that I would expect to see one, but - If I was going to get a 'race' car, I'd probably want to get a real 'race' car (not one that looks like a fancy road car)

Just my thoughts.

Does look slick though. :)

Exactly, hence point above.

lemming
06-16-2005, 08:57 PM
the problem is:

i want one --but i hate everything that the car stands for....typical sports car stuff.

so many erectile dysfunctional men buy sports cars and ruin their engines by never going beyond idle that when real car people buy sports cars, then we get those same tags.

:lol:

this car is like the $76k patek timepiece. it's ridiculously expensive, but once money is uncountable, it's not like you notice.

Roadstergal
06-17-2005, 12:54 PM
I agree. This car is just ridiculous. If I had that kind of money, I'd build build my own track and buy an F1 car. That is a performace car.

I'm not sure you could start an F1 car and take it for a lap for $2million.

blee
06-17-2005, 01:07 PM

Those things must burn through a couple million in a weekend.

FC
06-17-2005, 01:23 PM

The cars? Two million worth of what? Just curious.

I never said that it would cost as much. I just meant that if you can afford a ~2M car, then spending in the millions is not an issue. And if an "F1" car is the issue, insert something else. The FXX F-car is not the best way to spend ~2M for performance. That is my point. People will buy it to say that they did. That's all. And it's sad.

blee
06-17-2005, 01:39 PM

The cars? Two million worth of what? Just curious.

I never said that it would cost as much. I just meant that if you can afford a ~2M car, then spending in the millions is not an issue. And if an "F1" car is the issue, insert something else. The FXX F-car is not the best way to spend ~2M for performance. That is my point. People will buy it to say that they did. That's all. And it's sad.

You're right that people will buy it to say that they did, but it's not really about getting more for your money at that level. When it comes to that level of pricing, people just want more. It has nothing to do with how much they spend to get it. :) I hope some of the people who buy this car will actually drive the wheels off of it.

As for F1, don't forget that each of these cars is entirely unique. There is a little bit of engine sharing between a couple of teams, but that's it. Just about every part of the body is unique to the team, and possibly to the car. Add that to the extensive use of exotic materials and the tendency go tthrough fuel, tires, wings on a frequent basis...it adds up. Don't forget the large teams you need to start the car, monitor it, and take care of it during pit stips.

FC
06-17-2005, 01:48 PM
As for F1, don't forget that each of these cars is entirely unique. There is a little bit of engine sharing between a couple of teams, but that's it. Just about every part of the body is unique to the team, and possibly to the car. Add that to the extensive use of exotic materials and the tendency go tthrough fuel, tires, wings on a frequent basis...it adds up. Don't forget the large teams you need to start the car, monitor it, and take care of it during pit stips.

Well, I'll fully admit I wasn't aware as to just how much was involved in running the car. Interesting.

I did know that an F1 car costs millions worth of development, etc. I figured a used car. But whatever, that is besides the point.

blee
06-17-2005, 01:55 PM

Well, I'll fully admit I wasn't aware as to just how much was involved in running the car. Interesting.

I did know that an F1 car costs millions worth of development, etc. I figured a used car. But whatever, that is besides the point.

These days you actually need a small team of people just the start the damn thing.

There's actually a decent market for used F1 cars. You can buy Ferraris a few years out, for example, for not much mroe than $1.8M. I've read that the real problem with them is the support issue. That, and stuffing one of those babies into a wall would really be sad. :cry:

Fair!
06-18-2005, 11:14 PM
http://www.vorshlag.com/pictures/c6-600imola.jpg

Oh wait... the FFX is the next Enxo killer... not the 600 Imola.

Nevermind. :)