PDA

View Full Version : C6 Z06 pricing and 0-60 times inside

JST
06-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Official pricing announced today, per digitalcorvettes.

$65,000 base, 800 destination, 2900 for the 2LZ package (whatever that is), 1740 for the 6 disc changer, 1600 for Nav, 1295 for polished wheels, 490 for museum delivery, 750 for "tint coat" (again, whatever that is), and 300 for premium paint.

So, 65,800 gets you out the door in a 500 hp supercar. Nice, and about half of what Ford asks for the GT...

Post here (registration required) http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38421

EDIT:

Duh, the 2LZ package is listed right on there, and includes side bags, luggage shade, memory, auto dimming mirrors, heated seats, XM, power steering column, and Homelink.

XM seems to also come with either the 6 CD changer or the Nav system.

Jason C
06-13-2005, 04:11 PM
You have got to be shitting me.

I was so certain (with all the titanium/magnesium/aluminum/carbon fiber bits) that it was going to go over $75k to start out.

I'm going to have to go back and read that again.

ADDED: I see Chevy is taking a page out of Porsche Pricing Policy® in regards to the options. :rolleyes:

ff
06-13-2005, 04:11 PM
$1740 for the 6 disc changer?? That must be a mis-print.

JST
06-13-2005, 04:13 PM
$1740 for the 6 disc changer?? That must be a mis-print.

It includes XM, and seems to be an entirely different radio code--maybe it's a full-on premium sound system.

clyde
06-13-2005, 04:16 PM
The race is on...who can bloat up their Z06 the fastest?

$65.8 for the fast version, huh? There goes Super Stock.

FC
06-13-2005, 04:21 PM

Shit, that's Cayman S territory and sub-base997 money.

Anyone forking over anything close to 60K on a sportscar would have to be insane not to at LEAST consider this car.

JST
06-13-2005, 04:21 PM

You Selected: 325/30-19
Select New Vehicle

Performance Category: C
Brands: All
Speed Ratings: All
Run Flat: Included

Results: 0 that fit your search criteria.

No available tires.

clyde
06-13-2005, 04:32 PM

Select New Vehicle

No available tires.

I see three flaws in the assumptions that I assume you assuming:

1) Tire Rack's website is ever up to date
2) Tire Rack sells/carries all the SII legal tires in the world that that there are to sell
3) Whatever the current situation is now will forever be during the car's Stock class lifecycle

Jason C
06-13-2005, 04:36 PM

2) Tire Rack sells/carries all the SII legal tires in the world that that there are to sell
3) Whatever the current situation is now will forever be during the car's Stock class lifecycle

The forth is that the Z06 will simply rip open the very fabric of space-time apart, sucking all SS contenders in it's wake. :lol:

Seriously, I'm wondering who's going to buy a Caymen S over this.

JST
06-13-2005, 04:37 PM

Select New Vehicle

No available tires.

I see several flaws in assuming I was assuming anything--all I did was post the results of a search on TireRack.

I figure that the tiremakers will respond, and that 19" race rubber in Z06 specific sizes will be available; I have no idea when, as I haven't really been paying attention.

The HACK
06-13-2005, 04:43 PM

Hm...I may have to get a Caymen S and stuff an LS7 into it! :)

Jason C
06-13-2005, 04:48 PM

Don't offend the sensibilities of the Porsche Purists, they have to keep their oil spots on the garage floor/blue smoke generator. :lol:

Rob
06-13-2005, 04:49 PM

Now THAT would be a conversion miracle! I think you should give it a try.

Fair!, how about you? What's next on your to do list? ;)

Jason C
06-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Um, finish his current projects, maybe? :stickpoke:

How light is that Cayman S, under 2900lbs? Maybe a LS7 would lose weight, or not - I have no specs on the Porsche mill.

But Porsche would never do this even if they could, as it would make it somewhat (read: dangerously) close to the Carrera GT around the 'Ring. Can't have an POS 'merican unrefined lump appear to be competitive.

Jason C
06-13-2005, 05:13 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Get a load of some of the whiners at corvetteforum. "I wanted $60k, they charge $65, my name goes off the waiting list tomorrow!"

Perspective, people: MSRP for a Viper is $85,295 ($82,295 plus $3000 gas guzzler tax).

lemming
06-13-2005, 05:19 PM
cool pricing, huh?

it's about what the new e90m3 will cost.

i know. different cars that serve different audiences.

still not convinced that pure HP will make it the ultimate gotta have car, but i've got money down to hold a spot. the 1080hp family may or may not become the 1185hp family yet.

blee
06-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Wow. Wow!

That's pretty damn great. The options pricing is a little bit crazy, but it's not so stupid that people won't buy them. The Tint Coat, BTW, is something that's been available on Vettes since roughly MY 2000. Magnetic Red II and Millennium Yellow get their sweet glow by using a colored clearcoat: MY is a flat yellow base (I think) with a yellow clear, and MR is a metallic red with a red clear. It's an old "candy apple" painting trick that finally made it to the factory.

That's just a crazy great price. I'm so impressed.

bren
06-13-2005, 09:47 PM
There goes Super Stock.
and ASP, and SM2.

JST
06-14-2005, 09:09 AM
0-60 times have also been released: 3.7 seconds, all in first gear.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050613/dem041.html?.v=5

Jason C
06-14-2005, 09:12 AM
0-60 times have also been released: 3.7 seconds, all in first gear.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050613/dem041.html?.v=5

That's crap, if it revved higher it could go faster down the straight. Only 7000rpm - why are we talkin 'bout truck motors? ;)

FC
06-14-2005, 09:31 AM
That's crap, if it revved higher it could go faster down the straight. Only 7000rpm - why are we talkin 'bout truck motors? ;)

If there were a smiley of a little dude sneaking up to a dying fire and pouring gasoline, I'd insert it right now. :)

blee
06-14-2005, 09:35 AM

If there were a smiley of a little dude sneaking up to a dying fire and pouring gasoline, I'd insert it right now. :)

Or of pouring gasoline on a bucket of breast milk.

Jason C
06-14-2005, 09:40 AM

Or of pouring gasoline on a bucket of breast milk.

You have to admit, using the back of a babies head as a bikini top is just inspired. :eeps: :outtaher:

lemming
06-14-2005, 09:43 AM
isn't the ford GT still faster, though?

3.3 seconds?

now i really want to know the 1/4 mile times and the trap speed.

FC
06-14-2005, 09:49 AM

3.3 seconds?

But the GT cannot actually be driven according to Ford. Once you get into the 3's, it's all traction anyhow. It's probably jus the tires. Or how willing to fry the clutch they were.

It wouldn't surprise me if C&D got 3.2.

blee
06-14-2005, 09:52 AM

3.3 seconds?

But the GT cannot actually be driven according to Ford. Once you get into the 3's, it's all traction anyhow. It's probably jus the tires. Or how willing the fry the clutch they were.

It wouldn't surprise me if C&D got 3.2.

The GT also costs twice as much. Mind you, I really really like the GT, but I suppose it would be hard to love a car that couldn't be driven. I look forward to the official road tests in the next couple of months.

bren
06-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Does the GT come on run-flats?

JST
06-14-2005, 09:54 AM

3.3 seconds?

For the GT, Motor Trend got 3.6, with 1/4 times of 11.78 at 124.31.

C/D got 3.3, with a rolling start of 3.7. They are typically the fastest of the enthusiast rags, though--we'll see what they can do with a Z06.

The GT will presumably launch harder, given its rear weight bias. That, and its extra 50 hp, might offset its extra 300 lb heft.

FC
06-14-2005, 09:58 AM

3.3 seconds?

For the GT, Motor Trend got 3.6, with 1/4 times of 11.78 at 124.31.

C/D got 3.3, with a rolling start of 3.7. They are typically the fastest of the enthusiast rags, though--we'll see what they can do with a Z06.

The GT will presumably launch harder, given its rear weight bias. That, and its extra 50 hp, might offset its extra 300 lb heft.

The 993TT in 1995 got a 3.7 0-60 in C&D because of RW-bias and AWD.

blee
06-14-2005, 09:59 AM
I can't believe the new Z hits 60 in first gear. Is the gearing just really tall?

Nick M3
06-14-2005, 10:01 AM
I can't believe the new Z hits 60 in first gear. Is the gearing just really tall?

GM has always given the 'vettes REALLY tall gearing.

blee
06-14-2005, 10:07 AM

Funny, I've never noticed that. Those things really are torquey.

Nick M3
06-14-2005, 10:19 AM

Funny, I've never noticed that. Those things really are torquey.

Yeah. Needless to say, a shorter diff makes a HUGE difference...

lemming
06-14-2005, 10:21 AM
not sure about the specs, but i wouldn't be shocked to see it get a 3.15:1 rear end.

(compare to a heavier car that needs the favorable diff, e.g. CTS-V with a 3.73:1 rear end).

Jason C
06-14-2005, 10:37 AM
"Overpriced! I'll just take a C6 and mod it."

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=26&article_id=9296&page_num ber=2

I'm surprised at some of the whining going on at pro-GM sites. You get the feeling a lot of these people are pissed off because they can't afford it, nevermind if it's fair pricing or not.

JST
06-14-2005, 10:41 AM

That's how they get the phenomonal (relatively) highway gas mileage that they get--the engine is basically idling at 85 mph.

Jason C
06-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Only remaining reservation I have is that considering the car in question, GM really should do something like DCX with the Viper and have Corvette-only techs. The servicing aspect of 'Vettes (if corvetteforum is right) hasn't exactly been commensurate with the caliber of the car.

Nick M3
06-14-2005, 10:49 AM

That's how they get the phenomonal (relatively) highway gas mileage that they get--the engine is basically idling at 85 mph.

1,000 RPMs at 50MPH, isn't it?

ff
06-14-2005, 12:16 PM

Probably close to that. I remember my uncle bragging about his 28 MPG, and 1500 RPM at 65 (or 70?). And more importantly, having enough torque at 1500 RPM's in top gear to pull away very strong without much effort.

blee
06-14-2005, 12:20 PM

Probably close to that. I remember my uncle bragging about his 28 MPG, and 1500 RPM at 65 (or 70?). And more importantly, having enough torque at 1500 RPM's in top gear to pull away very strong without much effort.

To me, this is all the evidence I need to know that large-displacement OHV engines are far more flexible than most "advanced" designs.

The HACK
06-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Um, finish his current projects, maybe? :stickpoke:

How light is that Cayman S, under 2900lbs? Maybe a LS7 would lose weight, or not - I have no specs on the Porsche mill.

But Porsche would never do this even if they could, as it would make it somewhat (read: dangerously) close to the Carrera GT around the 'Ring. Can't have an POS 'merican unrefined lump appear to be competitive.

There's no f**king way. Have you seen the size of Porsche's engine bay? The Caymen, if it's anything like it's predecessor, will have an engine bay so short that only a flat 6 can possibly fit.

Stuka's 996 TT basically has about enough space to stick a small pinky into the spaces crammed with his flat six and two turbos. You would have to cut away some major bodywork to shoehorn the V-8 in.

I mean, no offense to us OHV fans, I'm sure the LS7 size/packaging is 10X smaller than the piece of sh*t Porsche flat 6...

But can you imagine the suspension on the Caymen, the light weight architechture, and the mid engine/rear wheel drive layout with the LS7? Oh wait, they already make that. It's called a Factory 5 racer/daytona replicas. :)

Jason C
06-14-2005, 01:18 PM
There's no f**king way. Have you seen the size of Porsche's engine bay? The Caymen, if it's anything like it's predecessor, will have an engine bay so short that only a flat 6 can possibly fit.

Stuka's 996 TT basically has about enough space to stick a small pinky into the spaces crammed with his flat six and two turbos. You would have to cut away some major bodywork to shoehorn the V-8 in.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/customer_files/ErnestW/ernestw8.jpg

:dunno:

Sacrilege, I know. But hardly impossible.

blee
06-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Sacrilege, indeed.

(...how fast is it?)

Jason C
06-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Sacrilege, indeed.

(...how fast is it?)

With aluminum heads, weight #s are said to be of comparable weight with a 930 turbo engine. All-aluminum engines are even lighter, I'd have to presume.

With the max power option and head porting, 450+ hp and 400+ ft. lbs. From a NA engine.

The HACK
06-14-2005, 01:37 PM
I would like to know what they have to do to get it to fit... :yikes:

I assume some sheet metal was cut to accomodate that?

Jason C
06-14-2005, 01:38 PM

The engine portion of the conversion is strictly bolt-in with no cutting or welding required. Our engine kit allows a Chevrolet small block to be bolted directly to the original motor mount holes in the stock 911 engine bay.

Go figure. I guess cheap, reliable power is appealing to a lot of people, no? ;)

ADDED: I'd really like to see someone attempt an engine swap using that S65. Even if it's just for comical value.

JST
06-14-2005, 02:01 PM

Hmm.

Maybe the small block pushrod V8 really is a more efficient package than some of the alternatives?

Some cool stuff on that site--the guys seem to know what they are doing:

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/main.htm

I'd stay away from the 911 conversions, myself, just because part of the magic of the 911 ownership experience is that engine sound, and if you bought a rear-engined car you can't REALLY be looking for maximum performance anyway.

At the same time, the LS1 944 is a neat idea. Very neat, indeed.

[/i]

Jason C
06-14-2005, 02:05 PM

Hmm.

Maybe the small block pushrod V8 really is a more efficient package than some of the alternatives?

Some cool stuff on that site--the guys seem to know what they are doing:

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/main.htm

I'd stay away from the 911 conversions, myself, just because part of the magic of the 911 ownership experience is that engine sound, and if you bought a rear-engined car you can't REALLY be looking for maximum performance anyway.

At the same time, the LS1 944 is a neat idea. Very neat, indeed.

[/i]

I'd have to agree, someone had a white 930-ish car in the shop earlier in the year, the sound was just magnificent.

But I know that if I came across a crapped-out 944, there's no way in hell that I'd retain that factory bigass turbo 4. Did you see that kit? If the LS1 fits, presumably any LS-series will also fit in the 944. That gives me evil ideas.

lemming
06-14-2005, 02:44 PM
the LS7 sound is supposed to be quite muted, too, until you're close to WOT because of some flap that restricts sound.

there is nothing like the porsche sound. porsche thinks so, also --they tune into their watercooled engines the aircooled sound. they have an entire subdivision of their powertrain devoted to this. it's why the new M96 engines have a good facsimile of the 993 and earlier metallic whirring as they go by.

to me, the sound is better than ferrari's sound. but that's just me. and yes, i have heard F355s and F40s at WOT on the oval parts of tracks.

FC
06-14-2005, 03:23 PM
the LS7 sound is supposed to be quite muted, too, until you're close to WOT because of some flap that restricts sound.

there is nothing like the porsche sound. porsche thinks so, also --they tune into their watercooled engines the aircooled sound. they have an entire subdivision of their powertrain devoted to this. it's why the new M96 engines have a good facsimile of the 993 and earlier metallic whirring as they go by.

to me, the sound is better than ferrari's sound. but that's just me. and yes, i have heard F355s and F40s at WOT on the oval parts of tracks.

Even the base 987 I drove sounded awesome past 4000rpm.

I need to take an extended test drive of a 987S with the top down to see if I like drop tops or not.

The quick test drive of the Mazaspeed MX-5 top-down was not an experience I'd be willing to pay the penalties for.

Jason C
06-15-2005, 02:16 AM
Came across this post while lurking:

True and being an M3 owner (currently, though my history is almost exclusivly with GM V8s) I often point out that a truck motor makes a better basis for a hi performance motor than a passenger car motor does, as passenger car motors are typically not designed for high heat, high endurance, high stress durability. These factors are key to why the Small Block V8 has made for such a versitile modification platform while the NorthStar has not. (ever stop and wonder why the ZR1 team didn't use the in-house Northstar as a basis, this is part of the reason). BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc do not have a heavy duty truck line to pull technology from so they must rely on passenger car technologies to "Hop-up" existing light duty lines. This makes for expensive, complex, and less reliable motors. (along with smaller displacement, which is why they have to design higher RPM motors to displace more air/min to make the same power as a large displacement motor at lower revs). Revs of course affect cost toa huge degree, because it means tooling, more expensive componets, etc.

I could ramble on and on on this subject as I have been known to in the past, but to sum it up, it's a good thing the LS7 is a truck motor. And a small one at that. The LS7 is physically smaller and lighter than the 3.2 Liter Inline 6 in my M3 despite having larger bores and stroke. Not having huge DOHC heads (to affect stroke dimensions) and not having a complicated timing chain and VVT mechanism (to affect length and thus bore) allows a pushrod motor to stuff substantually more displacement into a much more compact package. I love to compare the LS6 to the e39 M5. The LS6 is smaller (dimensionally), Lighter, cheaper to work on, cheaper to replace, cheaper to build, less complex, fewer moving parts, makes more power with better fuel economy and lower emissions. *THAT* is the deffinition of high-tech in my book.

-Adam

PS yes I know the original Small Block V8 from the 1950s was designed as a passenger car motor and not a truck motor. conversly the LSx was.

Jason C
06-15-2005, 08:49 AM
http://www.corvettequarterlymagazine.com/Media/MediaManager/SummerZ06Testing_5.pdf

"All in all, the 24-hour validation is just about the gutsiest thing you could do with any production car. But why bother? After all, no such test is required of car companies and it’s normally not even done by makers of super-premium sports cars. According to Luke Sewell, performance engineer for powertrain integration, the answer is straightforward. “The new Z06 is the fastest, most powerful, best performing car GM has ever built and it’s a car that some Corvette buyers, who for the most part are hardcore enthusiasts, will choose to race,” he explains. “A 24-hour validation test helps us to identify and correct any potential weaknesses that could surface in a race environment. The test was developed to represent an entire season of racing and answer the question of how well the car would do for a season. We are making sure that people who do race these cars will have a reliable car for the entire year.”

Dave Hill: If you want to track this car without warranty issues, just remove or cover up your plates at the track. No problems there.

MMA: We have full warrenty coverage on the Evo, except if a leaf/bird shit/tree sap lands on the car, then the increased weight and aerodynamic resistance might destroy the drivetrain, so no warranty for you!

:)

Pinecone
06-16-2005, 07:14 AM
BTW the Viper engine started out as a truck engien,t hen they built the Viper and stopped putting the engine in trucks. And now, they are hyping the V10 in trucks, where it actually started. :)

Optimus Prime
06-16-2005, 12:08 PM
That's going to be a hard car to ignore. At least GM can do one thing right. :)

Fair!
06-18-2005, 08:41 PM
I see several flaws in assuming I was assuming anything--all I did was post the results of a search on TireRack.

I figure that the tiremakers will respond, and that 19" race rubber in Z06 specific sizes will be available; I have no idea when, as I haven't really been paying attention.
I have had a 2005 Corvette C6 with stock 19x10 rear wheels since November of 2004. I have been hounding Hoosier, Kumho and even Toyo about 19" R compound fitments since that time... multiple calls and emails, repeated every other month.

Result: Nobody that sells competitive (1st/2nd tier) R compounds wants to make 19" tires.

There are some 19's available now, but they are all 3rd tier "race" DOT tires. Dunlop, Michelin and Pirelli. Not even remotely competitive options for 19's yet, and it's almost been a year for the C6. The latest M3, 911 and Viper all have had standard or optional 19" wheels for almost 2 years (not that people autocross these models much).

I am tired of waiting. I am going to 17/18" race wheels and opting out of SuperStock. The C6 Z06 is going to be the class killer if and only if there are some 19" options on the horizon. "Maybe in a year..." is the latest and best I can get out of tire makers, "but don't count on it".

Frakking 19" bling bling bullshit wheels. I'll be glad when this silly fad DIES.

EDIT:
Pirelli PZero Corsa: ("DOT-legal Competition tire primarily developed for use on high performance cars at drivers' schools and lapping days conducted on race tracks")
285/35YR19 = $339
295/30YR19 = $442

Manufacturers are absolutely NOT using these silly wheel sizes to clear brakes. This is a picture (http://hamkimchee.smugmug.com/photos/15103089-M.jpg) of my C6 Z51 with 13.5" front rotos and 17x11 wheels at each corner. The 17's can clear the 13.5" rotors/calipers (but just barely) so I know an 18" wheel would clear the C6 Z06's front 14" rotors.

http://hamkimchee.smugmug.com/photos/15103089-M.jpg

Edit no 2: The C6 Z06, priced at $65.8K, is a helluva bargain. But what do you get? It's within 20 pounds of a base C6 (I've weighed mine at 3155 lbs on digital scales), which makes it a solid 90 pounds heavier than the last Z06 (weighed a friend's '03 Z06 at 3048# on the same scales). I guess all those massive 6 piston brakes and dry sump pieces add up? That's odd to me, since the C6 Z06 has an aluminum chassis and CarbonFiber body panels. Still, it's got 100 hp more than the LS2. And 1/2" larger front brakes. And wider wheels (although wheels are easy to fix, and I've test fit 18x11 front and 18x12 rears on my C6, under the fenders). So for $20K more than I paid for the base C6 ($45.3K, with Z51 package, which was sticker price) is it worth it? Probably to somebody that wants the biggest/baddest Corvette ever. Am I going to cry about 100 hp for $20K more money? Nope. :)

John V
06-18-2005, 10:34 PM
Hm. Curious who you talked to at Hoosier. Hoosier told my co-worker that they'd have a 19" tire size "Suitable for the rear of a C6 Corvette" by next season or late this year.

I'll point Ken to this thread and see if he'll cc the e-mail they sent him. This was two months ago or so.

Fair!
06-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Hm. Curious who you talked to at Hoosier. Hoosier told my co-worker that they'd have a 19" tire size "Suitable for the rear of a C6 Corvette" by next season or late this year.

I'll point Ken to this thread and see if he'll cc the e-mail they sent him. This was two months ago or so.
Really? I talked to their tech director, he was saying "no way!" in December and again in March. Ugh. Wish they'd make up their damn minds.

I'm still torn about SuperStock with my C6, though, even with 19" tires available. C6's narrow 8.5" wide fronts (and 10" rear) are really down a lot to the C5 Z06 (9.5" fronts, 10.5 rears) and moreso to the C6 Z06. Movingup to ASP would level the playing field a lot for my car (since giant wheels fit easily, as well as substantial power potential with headers, intake, etc)... until the C6 Z06 came to play there. :(

lemming
06-18-2005, 11:19 PM
as for your earlier point about who would buy the $70k C6 z06 for $20k more than a c6 z51?

i would for sure.

i want the most OEM horsepower and brake power i can buy out of the box. let's face it, $70-75k is really chump change for the level of car that this is. i don't mean that i take the MSRP lightly, but compared to other cars in its class that i would buy otherwise, it's a silly cheap vehicle. i don't think about it as $20k more than an optioned out c6 --i think of it as $100k cheaper than an F430, $30-45k cheaper than a 911TT, $80-100k cheaper than a Ford GT.

Fair!
06-18-2005, 11:25 PM
as for your earlier point about who would buy the $70k C6 z06 for $20k more than a c6 z51?

i would for sure.

i want the most OEM horsepower and brake power i can buy out of the box. let's face it, $70-75k is really chump change for the level of car that this is. i don't mean that i take the MSRP lightly, but compared to other cars in its class that i would buy otherwise, it's a silly cheap vehicle. i don't think about it as $20k more than an optioned out c6 --i think of it as $100k cheaper than an F430, $30-45k cheaper than a 911TT, $80-100k cheaper than a Ford GT.
hey, i hear ya... it's a helluva bargain.

my wife, impatient as hell, couldn't wait on the C6 Z06. She wanted a C6 last year. So now, am I gonna go and sell this car, fully 90-95% of the Z06's performance, and then fork over another $20K for the Z06? No.

If we were starting out again, sans the C6 purchase, I'd immediately jump on the Z06, though. :)

I think the C6 Z06 might still be a tick overhyped. Sure, it has impressive numbers... but there's some numbers that underwhelm me; Namely the not so light curb weight. The C5 Z06 is almost 100 pounds lighter... and making 500hp from an LS6 is almost too easy. But again, stock vs. non-stock... apples to oranges.

It's getting late and I am starting to make less sense, even to myself...

lemming
06-19-2005, 09:31 AM
in answer to your rhetorical question of why would someone buy the c6 z06?

because it's not all that far off the car that just won LeMans 1-2 in its class. (the engine, mostly).

that's why. to me as an American, that's a tremendous source of pride that el cheapo GM put together a team that won with the c5r and is winning with the c6r.

John V
06-19-2005, 12:51 PM

Really? I talked to their tech director, he was saying "no way!" in December and again in March. Ugh. Wish they'd make up their damn minds.

I'm still torn about SuperStock with my C6, though, even with 19" tires available. C6's narrow 8.5" wide fronts (and 10" rear) are really down a lot to the C5 Z06 (9.5" fronts, 10.5 rears) and moreso to the C6 Z06. Movingup to ASP would level the playing field a lot for my car (since giant wheels fit easily, as well as substantial power potential with headers, intake, etc)... until the C6 Z06 came to play there. :(

I'm still taking an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude and I agree with you 100% on the wheel size issue. The corvette marketing manager that showed up at the Toledo national tour in the pre-production C6 Z06 (can't remember her name but she's a former autocrosser and racer) heard it from me on this issue. Her response was that the tire manufacturers would follow suit with 19" R-comps.

Never mind making the car available with an 18" wheel only option for people who actually want to compete with it (or, god forbid, track it with decent tires). :rolleyes:

Jason C
06-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Ferrari Enzo 3230 lbs. 4.96/bhp $652,000
Porsche Carrera GT 3146lbs. 5.20/bhp $448,400
Saleen S7 2870 lbs. 5.21/bhp $395,000
Mercedes SLR McLaren 3805 lbs. 6.16/bhp $430,000
Corvette Z06 3132 lbs. 6.20/bhp $65,800
Ford GT 3468 lbs. 6.30/bhp $155,845
Ferrari F430 3200 lbs. 6.62/bhp $205,932
Lambo Gallardo 3560 lbs. 7.12/bhp $187,000
Dodge Viper SRT-10 3410 lbs 7.20/bhp $84,000
Lambo Murcielago 4010 lbs. 7.22/bhp $283,000
Ferrari 575M 4010 lbs. 8.16/bhp $229,000
Porsche 996 Turbo 3530 lbs. 8.24/bhp $135,000
Aston Martin Vanquish 4027 lbs. 8.75/bhp $223,000

:scratch:

lemming
06-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Ferrari Enzo 3230 lbs. 4.96/bhp $652,000
Porsche Carrera GT 3146lbs. 5.20/bhp $448,400
Saleen S7 2870 lbs. 5.21/bhp $395,000
Mercedes SLR McLaren 3805 lbs. 6.16/bhp $430,000
Corvette Z06 3132 lbs. 6.20/bhp $65,800
Ford GT 3468 lbs. 6.30/bhp $155,845
Ferrari F430 3200 lbs. 6.62/bhp $205,932
Lambo Gallardo 3560 lbs. 7.12/bhp $187,000
Dodge Viper SRT-10 3410 lbs 7.20/bhp $84,000
Lambo Murcielago 4010 lbs. 7.22/bhp $283,000
Ferrari 575M 4010 lbs. 8.16/bhp $229,000
Porsche 996 Turbo 3530 lbs. 8.24/bhp $135,000
Aston Martin Vanquish 4027 lbs. 8.75/bhp $223,000

:scratch:

ferrari acknowledged that they missed their weight target for the enzo.
the carrera GT is spot-on.
the saleen is amazing and the actual car i would buy if i decided tomorrow to think of a Ford GT-type of car.
the SLR is stupid -who buys this instead of the SL600?
the Ford GT is heavy but it also lacks racing level-testing and it shows.
the F430 is still an amazing car despite the increased competition.
the gallardo and murcialago are both silly cars with zero racing heritage --kind of like buying a watch from tiffany or cartier --> pretty but aficionados need not apply.
the ferrari 575M is one a wonderful car and ferrari never sold it for more than it is: a well built GT.
the 996 turbo is an amazing car for how much it weighs --no wonder the GT2 and the GT3 cars are so fierce relatively speaking.
the vanquish is beautiful --it doesn't belong in this company but BMW could learn something from aston martin styling (they've already got the heavy car-part of the aston martin equation down pat).

:lol:

Jason C
06-19-2005, 06:51 PM
No commentary on the Z06 or it's closest (pricing) rival, the Viper?

:flipoff: ;)

If they ever get the Zonda F here (7.3L V12 650hp, 2706lbs - 4.16/bhp) I'd have to take a serious look were I ever in the market. Even though there's no racing heritage behind that.

lemming
06-19-2005, 07:49 PM

If they ever get the Zonda F here (7.3L V12 650hp, 2706lbs - 4.16/bhp) I'd have to take a serious look were I ever in the market. Even though there's no racing heritage behind that.

technically, this generation of viper, although it has an SCCA T1-type racing clubsport version --isn't really race-proven. i just don't understand the thinking behind a v10 engine. either make the v8 larger or move to a v12. why the fixation on v10 again?

JST
06-19-2005, 08:26 PM

technically, this generation of viper, although it has an SCCA T1-type racing clubsport version --isn't really race-proven. i just don't understand the thinking behind a v10 engine. either make the v8 larger or move to a v12. why the fixation on v10 again?

More piston area than a V8, less friction than a V12. Supposed to be a good configuration, other than the fact that it doesn't have great NVH.

V10s sound like ass, though. Not as bad as an E46 M3, but bad.

Jason C
06-19-2005, 08:42 PM
V10s that are not made by Porsche sound like ass, though. Not as bad as an E46 M3, but bad.

Typo corrected. :P

The Carrera GT uses a unique 68-degree V10 which has IIRC uneven firing pulses. Maybe that's why it sounds so special?

OTOH, I heard an original Viper (complete with sidepipes) pull out of our parking lot. It really did sound like an UPS truck, in other words about on par with an E46 M3. Maybe a little better.

lemming
06-19-2005, 08:51 PM

More piston area than a V8, less friction than a V12. Supposed to be a good configuration, other than the fact that it doesn't have great NVH.

i'd take a small block v12 any day over any v10. the viper sounds like shit because the exhaust plumbing is terrible. it's supposedly addressed in the current generation of car.

in the end, however, there's still not much as satisfying as a v8 rumbling with a lumpy cam at idle before it hits some revs and burbles away. the c6R's sounded NASTY at lemans. what a beautiful sound as they would roar off of pit lane or buzz by the cameras.

JST
06-19-2005, 11:23 PM

i'd take a small block v12 any day over any v10. the viper sounds like shit because the exhaust plumbing is terrible. it's supposedly addressed in the current generation of car.

in the end, however, there's still not much as satisfying as a v8 rumbling with a lumpy cam at idle before it hits some revs and burbles away. the c6R's sounded NASTY at lemans. what a beautiful sound as they would roar off of pit lane or buzz by the cameras.

There's a current generation Viper that runs autocrosses around here. It still sounds like shit.

Rob
06-20-2005, 06:55 PM
My brother went to the time trials for the F1 race this past weekend. He called me so I could hear the cars screaming past. I have decided that rpms, by themselves, do have some use, b/c those cars sounded awesome - even the Toyotas and even on the phone.

Plaz
06-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Caveman is a poseur car, and so is the regular 911.

Oy vey, enough already.

If someone buys a car and enjoys it for reasons other than impressing others (even if you're the one who's not impressed), it is by definition NOT a poseur car.

I'd never throw turbo money at a car on my salary, as I'd consider that irresponsibly excessive. I would, however, consider a Cayman, or a regular 911. While even that would be borderline irresponsible, I bet I'd enjoy driving it. That would make me someone who enjoys my car, not a "poseur," your arbitrary technological lines of demarcation notwithstanding.

zach
06-21-2005, 01:00 PM

Oy vey, enough already.

If someone buys a car and enjoys it for reasons other than impressing others (even if you're the one who's not impressed), it is by definition NOT a poseur car.

I'd never throw turbo money at a car on my salary, as I'd consider that irresponsibly excessive. I would, however, consider a Cayman, or a regular 911. While even that would be borderline irresponsible, I bet I'd enjoy driving it. That would make me someone who enjoys my car, not a "poseur," your arbitrary technological lines of demarcation notwithstanding.

Plaz is right.

clyde
06-21-2005, 01:29 PM

Oy vey, enough already.

Plaz is right.

Plaz is a poseur.

Jason C
06-21-2005, 01:31 PM
the saleen is amazing and the actual car i would buy if i decided tomorrow to think of a Ford GT-type of car.

I saw the S7 at Laguna Seca, it was so ridiculously cheaply built that it shows upon close examination.

It is not worth half of what they want for the car. They try to be a boutique company like Ferrari, but the car does not have even the build quality of an F car, which is not saying very much to begin with.

But hey, it's a car with "racing heritage"! (Whatever that's worth to you)

Plaz
06-21-2005, 01:45 PM

Oy vey, enough already.

Plaz is right.

Plaz is a poseur.

:flipoff:

I haven't worn my leather pants in years.

:lol:

Jason C
06-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Whoever here is the first to get the Z06 (at this point, probably lemming unless all future porkchops come with pseudo-wet-sumps) will have to do this mod:

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=736

John V
06-21-2005, 02:15 PM

Oy vey, enough already.

Indeed. Who gives a fcuk if it's not a dry-sump racing-derived homologation special engine? I get the impression that if you're not driving one of stuka's cars, you must be a poseur. :)

clyde
06-21-2005, 02:22 PM

Oy vey, enough already.

Indeed. Who gives a fcuk if it's not a dry-sump racing-derived homologation special engine? I get the impression that if you're not driving one of stuka's cars, you must be a poseur. :)

Even if you drive one of Stuka's cars you can still be a poseur. I don't need to whip out the 14 seconds of total skill domination, do I?

Plaz
06-21-2005, 02:24 PM

Oy vey, enough already.

I don't like American cars, and I don't like P cars without a dry sump.

There, ya happy now?

You're perfectly entitled to that opinion. I don't begrudge you that one bit.

It's just a little bit over the line to classify anyone who doesn't agree with you as being a "poseur," which you implicitly do when you paint with the wide brushstrokes like you have in this thread, and elsewhere ad nauseum.

Jason C
06-28-2005, 03:08 AM
Too bad they don't offer white:

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/scissors//Images/c6z06rearwhite.jpg

That's hot.

blee
06-28-2005, 08:57 AM
Too bad they don't offer white:

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/scissors//Images/c6z06rearwhite.jpg

That's hot.

Never seen that angle before. Damn, the new car is much curvier than the old. Lots of previous-generation cues in there, too.

But why white? The color options are great this year.

clyde
06-28-2005, 10:32 AM

If they follow tradition, there were be numerous clor changes each model year...

Jason C
06-28-2005, 11:11 AM

If they follow tradition, there were be numerous clor changes each model year...

White was said to be a no-go for any Z06, due to declined popularity.

I dunno, I think it could be nice if they offered it.