PDA

View Full Version : OEM Style XM in my car and working!

Nick M3
11-07-2003, 04:14 PM
I figured there would be a significant crowd of people who are at least interested. :)

First off, I should note that my 2001 3'er is NOT natively compatible with either the OEM Sirius solution, or the aftermarket Blitzsafe XM tuner that uses the stereo's Sirius capacity.

To start with, I acquired a head unit from a 2003 3'er. Not that ANY head unit manufactured in the YEAR (not model year) of 2003 is compatible. A head unit manufactured in 2002 MUST have software version 50. You can tell the software version and manufacturing sate by either looking on the bootom of the unit or accessing the service menu. See the end of this write up for instructions on accessing the service menu.

Installing the head unit was relatively easy with one important hiccup. Although the head units from 2003 are fully electrically compatible with my 2001, the rocket scientists at BMW decided that the antenna connector plug had to change. I've currently got a totally half assed adapter made up from a couple wires and some electrical tape, but that will have to change. (Anyone with a lead on plugs/adapters for this person, PLEASE e-mail me.)

I obtained the XM Direct unit from "Satellite Radios and More. Note that they offer FREE next day air shipping on orders of over $100.
Here's the URL:
http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=rvr-d-001-bmw
Fortunately, BMW did NOT decide to change the wiring harness for the changer. The Blitzsafe adapter included with the XM Direct unit plugs right in to the two CD changer plugs, and the XM Direct unit plugs into that with two RCA cables and a PS/2 like plug.

After all that, I fired up the car and the head unit went into "Sirius" mode.

I'm VERY happy now. I knew there was a reason I skipped the kludged Pioneer piggyback tuner solution. :)

Extra info, ripped the 'fest from "bluer1."

To access the service menu in the BMW Business CD:
- turn the radio off, then on again
- press and hold M for 10 seconds
- display will show SN#nnnnnnnn
- press +/- to access settings
- press 1-6 to change settings

Settings I know of are:
SN - serial number
SV - software version
signal strength level
GAL - speed sensitive loudness
DSP - n/a
TP-V - traffic program volume (non-USA feature)
display check
tuner area selection
AF - alternative frequency (non-USA feature)

Cycle power to exit service mode.

Some aren't modifiable - hope that helps.

JST
11-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Nice. Looking forward to checking that out. But I am correct in thinking that even if I bought a 2K3 Navi head unit to replace my 2K2 unit, this wouldn't work, right? It still is non-Navi only.

SpaceMonk
11-07-2003, 07:47 PM
Nice. Looking forward to checking that out. But I am correct in thinking that even if I bought a 2K3 Navi head unit to replace my 2K2 unit, this wouldn't work, right? It still is non-Navi only.
Correct. (unfortunately)

Mathew
11-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Correct. (unfortunately)

:(

Nick M3
11-11-2003, 06:41 PM
OK, update time:

The remaining parts needed to update from the 2001 and older CD43 head unit to the newer CD53 unit include the "Antenna Diversity Amplifier," and the "Antenna Plug Adapter Cable." Price for the amplifer are $132 (sedan/coupe) and $170 (wagon). The adapter was $13. All of these are disocunted prices at Tischer.

(Speaking of Tischer, watch out for their parts prices... They've raised their list sky high, so you NEED to mention your BMWCCA membership in order to get quasi-acceptable pricing.)

Nick M3
11-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Oh yeah, and one other thing:

It works in MINIs with NAV!