PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filters Exposed

Jason C
06-10-2005, 05:43 PM
http://rsx.freewebpage.org/

RSX filter cutaways, but really applicable to all who use the respective brand(s).

Of those, the general consensus is that anything made by Champion is worse, especially the Frams with the cardboard end caps. The ones under the Champion group also show uneven filter element segmentation (Fram, K&N, Mobil1, Bosch). Amusingly enough, the Honda OEM appears to be a repackaged Fram with nice shiny Honda paint. :rolleyes:

Overall, NAPA Gold, Purolators Pure One, and Wix are the most recommended. The Pure Ones have the most filtering area and also scored highest on the SAE test but there have been a few concerns about possible restriction to flow.

ayn
06-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Interesting, I've been using Mobil-1, or the BMW/MINI OEM filters... I'll see if I can find Pure One filters...

Jason C
06-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Interesting, I've been using Mobil-1, or the BMW/MINI OEM filters... I'll see if I can find Pure One filters...

Of the ones made under Champion Labs, the Mobil1 actually filters quite well - as it should, given that it's on the high-end of that manufacture. But it doesn't exactly blow away the 3 mentioned above, and it's usually just as expensive as the K&Ns - over $10.

I was just at a local AutoZone - lotsa PureONE there! And under $6 - I like it.

*Even if you use a crap FRAM orange can of death, prefill the thing. Please.

lip277
06-11-2005, 12:04 AM
I've used NAPA gold filters for years.
Very competitive in pricing. Our 18 wheelers use them for all filter needs as well as several other trucking companies I know of. When I was down in CA dealing with this stuff - We used to average 500,000 miles between engine lower end issues and 300,000 miles on heads. And that was on either Detroit or Cummins diesels.

I used to go for the Mobil 1 filters on my Yukon but found the Napa to be an equivalent product but much more available.

I use HENGST, MAHLE or Mann filters on the BMW's and Mercedes. I have heard only great things about them.

I used Motorcraft on the Mustang back when I drove it.