PDA

View Full Version : C&D really likes the new A3. A lot.

Jason C
06-09-2005, 06:54 PM
They tested a stripper $25k model with no options and found that:

•They're starting to like that big Audi nose :eeps:
•The car has front/rear/trunk room about equal to the A4
•Even without leather and the fancy trimmings, it feels high-quality
•This new engine is very, very nice
•0-60 in 6.5, 14.9 @ 94 in the 1/4th, 5-60 in 7.1, peak torque at 1800rpm
•Shifter is slick, no longer rubbery in the VWAG tradition
•Like TD and JST said about the R32, they thought it felt a lot better than the spec sheet might indicate. "Fantastic ride-and-handling compromise"
•"...has it out-GTI'd the GTI? ...Then again, it won't matter if VW bungles the GTI because we already have the A3. And it is deliciously good."

This bodes well for the GTI, which is said to come in 2 grand cheaper than the A3. I may have to test-drive something this weekend...

I hope Bernhardt gets their quality control under wraps, because I'm starting to think that a White-on-Plaid GTI might be a good way to celebrate the end of BMW training. :eeps:

SCA
06-09-2005, 07:34 PM
I was not impressed with the A3. One exception, the engine. The 2.0t (FSI) is incredible over the 1.8t.

kognito
06-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Is the 2 door A3 or S3 ever going to come over here??

lemming
06-09-2005, 09:13 PM
FWD is still FWD.

Doug
06-09-2005, 09:25 PM
I really liked the car as well

lemming
06-09-2005, 09:43 PM
i think the car looks great, but if i were spending the money and were a driving enthusiast, i'd have to wonder why i wouldn't buy the upcoming 2.5litre turbo four (~220-250hp) with AWD impreza WRX?

JST
06-09-2005, 11:29 PM
TORQUE STEER.

With AWD, it would be fine. For non-enthusiasts, it's fantastic. For someone used to driving AWD or RWD cars, it's beyond irritating.

SCA
06-09-2005, 11:31 PM

That's a negative.

SCA
06-09-2005, 11:36 PM
TORQUE STEER.

With AWD, it would be fine. For non-enthusiasts, it's fantastic. For someone used to driving AWD or RWD cars, it's beyond irritating.

I could not take off from a red light without spinning the tires and that's with the nanny control (traction) on. I instantly thought to myself, I'd have to replace the tires on the front of this thing every 5,000-8,000 miles.

Doug
06-10-2005, 12:00 AM
i think the car looks great, but if i were spending the money and were a driving enthusiast, i'd have to wonder why i wouldn't buy the upcoming 2.5litre turbo four (~220-250hp) with AWD impreza WRX?

'Cuz it's ugly

Jason C
06-10-2005, 12:36 AM
TORQUE STEER.

I could not take off from a red light without spinning the tires and that's with the nanny control (traction) on. I instantly thought to myself, I'd have to replace the tires on the front of this thing every 5,000-8,000 miles.

The phrase "torque steer" never came up in their review, not even once. :scratch:

Now I'm really curious.

lemming
06-10-2005, 07:12 AM

'Cuz it's ugly

fair enough.

i don't really have a strong opinion anymore on this one since i'm bailing out of fuji heavy industries products for awhile. i like the new a3/a4/a6 styling but i also like the upcoming STi face. even the tribeca is a little cool to me. the contrarian in me digs it.

kognito
06-10-2005, 07:45 AM

That's a negative.

That sucks, I've driven an S3 in Germany, and the suspension and interior comfort were much better than the R32

SCA
06-10-2005, 10:44 AM
The phrase "torque steer" never came up in their review, not even once. :scratch:

Now I'm really curious.

Go drive one, you'll see... This car is a fine example of how badly FWD sucks.

Doug
06-10-2005, 11:29 AM

'Cuz it's ugly

fair enough.

i don't really have a strong opinion anymore on this one since i'm bailing out of fuji heavy industries products for awhile. i like the new a3/a4/a6 styling but i also like the upcoming STi face. even the tribeca is a little cool to me. the contrarian in me digs it.

The car isn't bad if you remove the hood scoop and monster wing

JST
11-05-2005, 04:09 PM
I drove another A3, this time a 6M with the sport pack.

I have to say, the more I drive this car the better it feels. Yes, torque steer rears its head, and the engine has so much low end torque that you are constantly spinning the inside wheel on corners, but it's just a fun, well put together package. It feels light, tossable and well damped, and damn that 2.0 FSI engine kicks ass. This is a great city car. Too bad there are no quattro plans.

Leasing programs on them SUCK, though--an A4 2.0Q is *substantially* cheaper to lease.

FC
11-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Leasing programs on them SUCK, though--an A4 2.0Q is *substantially* cheaper to lease.

:slap: <-Audi

lemming
11-05-2005, 05:38 PM
:slap: <-Audi

a lot of people at work have bought into the new jetta and marvel as how nice the interior is. you guys have to realize that VW gave up the ship in terms of performance a long time ago. now they're a all show and no go car company.

that would be fine except for the fact that their reliability has been absolutely terrible for the past 7-10 years and they actually need to demonstrate to us, the enthusiast, that their cars are worth the premium that they charge.

remember, the new 3.6litre vr6 passat is 38,000 and this a3, which is a glorified golf just like the audi TT is, is an expensive $30,000 FWDer.

i make fun of BMWs a lot for their reliability, but it's not in the tank like VAG products and BMW still has some merit as vehicles that are dynamic and if you look at the pricing structure of the new VW products (and audis), BMW pricing starts to look very, very reasonable since you are getting cars that have their own chassis development that do not share platforms with plebian economy cars.