PDA

View Full Version : leasing GM vehicles?

clyde
06-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Anyone know anything about leasing GM vehicles? Any particular options better or worse than any others (GMAC vs ???, etc)? My dad is thinking about a C6 or Avalanche.

Jason C
06-09-2005, 12:22 PM
My dad is thinking about a C6 or Avalanche.

That's, uh, quite the contrasting choice. :speechle:

The cute "You pay what we pay" promotion runs until early July (Take delivery by July 5, 2005). It does not include the Corvette, but applies to everything else. CTS-V, GTO, anyone?

I'd research it more, there have been reports that the prior avaliable discounts have actually been greater than this new employee pricing scheme.

clyde
06-09-2005, 12:58 PM
My dad is thinking about a C6 or Avalanche.

That's, uh, quite the contrasting choice. :speechle:

The cute "You pay what we pay" promotion runs until early July (Take delivery by July 5, 2005). It does not include the Corvette, but applies to everything else. CTS-V, GTO, anyone?

I'd research it more, there have been reports that the prior avaliable discounts have actually been greater than this new employee pricing scheme.

Yeah, we've heard. I can't speak to the cross-shopping other than to say than that I woke up one morning about four years ago thinking I was going to by a C5 that day and ended up ordering my wagon.

Leasecompare.com is showing ~$700/mo for a 36m/36k lease on a base C6 with nothing down. I think he'd be more interested in a 24m/20k lease but :dunno:

Rob
06-09-2005, 01:14 PM
I don't know about leasing, but I know that my brother got a CTS-V for about 8k off sticker last week (yeah, now there are two in the family and we are asking my dad when he will step up to the plate and become a male member of the family). As far as I know, that includes the dealer giving up at least some of its end of the year kick back as well as the discounts and rebates.

I also know that if I wasn't so allergic to leasing (my first experience drove me crazy), I would have leased this car. It seems like a good idea to lease GM products if you are going to get high end versions.

Jason C
06-09-2005, 01:17 PM
(yeah, now there are two in the family and we are asking my dad when he will step up to the plate and become a male member of the family).

:needpic:

Rob
06-09-2005, 01:25 PM
hah. Sorry, I don't have pics yet and my brother lives in Indianapolis, so I can't just run down the street and take some. He is a pretty avid photographer, so I will get on him to send them this way. He got the stealth gray color with the tan interior. Both colors are significantly slower than black/black, but, as he pointed out, he gets real gas, so it makes up for the lack of power.

Jason C
06-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Both colors are significantly slower than black/black, but, as he pointed out, he gets real gas, so it makes up for the lack of power.

:lol:

kognito
06-09-2005, 03:28 PM
We went with GM's Smart buy, when we bought the GMC Sierra. It works about the same as a lease, but the vehicle is in my name, not GMAC's. I have a balloon payment at month 36, or return the truck.

It might be different state to state, but this option actually saved me a little money on insurance and regestration charges, as well as about 15 a month in lower payments

lemming
06-09-2005, 05:45 PM
haven't even taken delivery of mine yet.

hafta sell the GT wagon still (scheduled).

i got silver because i refused, in the end, to pay more for GM paint. they explained it to me as not just fancy paint but more and thicker coating of it. if you pile lousy stuff onto more lousy stuff......yeah. real logic there.

i couldn't get black since the z06 is black and so isn't the fx.

i also agree that leasing a GM vehicle is better than outright buying because it locks in your depreciation whereas otherwise it could just be a huge freefall. first time i'll be leasing in a looooooooooooooong time because (1) it'll lock me into a car for awhile (this is a good thing) and (2) it stems the bleeding that will come as a result of depreciation. no one will want the 5.7litre model when the 6.0 litre model arrives and no one will want the first generation CTS after the facelift in about a year, either.

things to think about when leasing GM products.

Jason C
06-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Since paint is not exactly my area of expertise, I've been talking to someone who actually works at one of those hot-rod shops where they do custom one-offs. He has told me that if you just want to get rid of the factory orange peel and/or put some more layers of clearcoat on a car, it won't be hard to do, nor will it be expensive.

Something to think about if your car didn't come wet-sanded from the factory like an NSX/S2000, or didn't have all the imperfections slowly hand-polished out like a Bentley.

BTW lemming, you should know that rwg will always have the faster color. :twisted:

Rob
06-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Wait - you are back to the V lemming? I missed that. I am pretty sure you won't regret it.

I like the color of the red line, but I certainly didn't think the quality was any better. I was encouraged at first by orange peel similar to the black 330i, but it turns out that the paint is for shit. :(

lemming
06-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Wait - you are back to the V lemming? I missed that. I am pretty sure you won't regret it.

I like the color of the red line, but I certainly didn't think the quality was any better. I was encouraged at first by orange peel similar to the black 330i, but it turns out that the paint is for shit. :(

yeah. paperwork is signed but no rush to pick it up as i still have the GT wagon to contend with in the driveway. going to settle that this weekend or monday and maybe get the V on monday.

i don't think i've ever had that much "luxury" content in one car. nav. xenons. XM satellite. onstar. it's a joke that it's all standard. i'm so used to BMW's ordering system where you have to pay for everything.

JST
06-09-2005, 11:34 PM

i got silver because i refused, in the end, to pay more for GM paint. they explained it to me as not just fancy paint but more and thicker coating of it. if you pile lousy stuff onto more lousy stuff......yeah. real logic there.

i also agree that leasing a GM vehicle is better than outright buying because it locks in your depreciation whereas otherwise it could just be a huge freefall. first time i'll be leasing in a looooooooooooooong time because (1) it'll lock me into a car for awhile (this is a good thing) and (2) it stems the bleeding that will come as a result of depreciation. no one will want the 5.7litre model when the 6.0 litre model arrives and no one will want the first generation CTS after the facelift in about a year, either.

Welcome to leasing--it's great, except that you KNOW when you have to get a new car, so 6-8 months beforehand you just go crazy...

kognito
06-10-2005, 07:49 AM

Welcome to leasing--it's great, except that you KNOW when you have to get a new car, so 6-8 months beforehand you just go crazy...

Hmmm.. I thought that was the good part!!

Nick M3
06-10-2005, 08:37 AM

My parents seem to have found the easy solution:
Get the next one 6-8 months before the lease on the current one ends.

JST
06-10-2005, 08:48 AM

My parents seem to have found the easy solution:
Get the next one 6-8 months before the lease on the current one ends.

I wouldn't know anything about that. :eeps: