PDA

View Full Version : RE: Current cars, what would you have done different?

Jason C
06-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Forget the "Did I buy the right car" kind of deals for the moment. If you could have whatever car(s) you have right now brand new, what would you change? Anything that falls under "Damn, I wish I did that earlier/when I got the car." I'm aiming for non-model specific advice.

The reason I ask that is because seeing as me (and my extended family at large) don't exactly go through new or used cars like some of you here do :P, I'd like to avoid any oversights as we prepare to purchase in the next 2 months.

For now, the only thing I can think of for sure is a ClearBra application and some Huper Optik ceramic tinting from a local well-reputed installer. Oh, and I'm definitely going to be the one controlling the break-in this time, that's without a doubt.

JST
06-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Forget the "Did I buy the right car" kind of deals for the moment. If you could have whatever car(s) you have right now brand new, what would you change? Anything that falls under "Damn, I wish I did that earlier/when I got the car." I'm aiming for non-model specific advice.

The reason I ask that is because seeing as me (and my extended family at large) don't exactly go through new or used cars like some of you here do :P, I'd like to avoid any oversights as we prepare to purchase in the next 2 months.

For now, the only thing I can think of for sure is a ClearBra application and some Huper Optik ceramic tinting from a local well-reputed installer. Oh, and I'm definitely going to be the one controlling the break-in this time, that's without a doubt.

Satellite radio--get it OEM if you can. If not, add it ASAP. It's well worth it.

dan
06-09-2005, 10:28 AM
nm

Jason C
06-09-2005, 11:01 AM

Satellite radio--get it OEM if you can. If not, add it ASAP. It's well worth it.

USATODAY on Legacy/Outback: "You can't get satellite radio or a navigation system. Maybe someday, Subie says."

:dunno: The MY2006 with the Sat-Nav is the one we're waiting on, that's for sure.

ZBB
06-09-2005, 11:03 AM
The only thing I'd change about my current car is the interior color. Since I bought it CPO, I had no choice. But I prefer tan/sand interiors over gray, and I absolutely detest black interiors. My car is gray. Its fine and looks good (and hides some things better than tan), but I actually miss the tan interior of my e46.

Agree on Sat radio... I went with XM Direct in the e39.

I'm also thinking of adding Bluetooth phone connectivity, but the OEM kit is $$$ (~$550-600 for all the parts, with a discount). There is a non-OEM kit that plugs into BT prewire) coming out this summer for $450 (called Argos, from EISKits.com), and I may go for that...

lip277
06-09-2005, 12:51 PM
If I had to do it over again, I'd get the Yukon XL instead of the Tahoe/Yukon flavor.
It's turning out that we really could have used the extra length quite often. When we were picking the car, I figured we woudln't need it that much. I was wrong.

The Mercedes, 2002, Mustang and 740i were all bought 'used' so there were many things I would have liked to have been on the cars (like maybe the tii instead of the carb) on the 2002 - But - All in all they are just fine as is for what they could have been.

TD
06-09-2005, 01:00 PM
I bought used so I couldn't be that picky.

But if I was ordering my car new (based on the options available at the time) I'd change the exterior color to estoril or techno violet. Add the fold-down rear seats. Delete the power front seats.

There was no such thing as satellite radio when my car was built, but I would echo that I can't imagine having a car without it. If I ever find myself considering a car that offers it OEM, I will definitely insist on it.

Rob
06-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Tough for me as my current car doesn't really have any options. I wish I didn't have the sun roof, but the wife wanted it. Small price to pay for 400 hp. Everything else is after market and you can install and take that stuff off to your heart's content.

I am afraid I'm sucked into the nav system at this point. I still think they are ridiculously expensive, but the wife loves it and when you need it, it's really, really handy.

I would get integrated bluetooth if it is available. The options I have for using the car phone are either very expensive or very expensive. The aftermarket kits that I have seen aren't nearly as cool as the factory incorporated ones and typically won't tap into the car electronics. They seem to require an additional speaker and microphone.

clyde
06-09-2005, 01:25 PM
The wagon: nix the AWD and get RWD. Add Phatbox. Happy to have the sport package seats and steering wheel (and would have perfered the suspension in the RWD version). Happy to have the ass warmers and headlight washers. Happy to have the power seats. Happy we got the full size spare for a number of reasons. Happy to have the xenons. Happy to not have sunroof. Mixed feelings about not having the rear side airbags. Overall, pretty darn happy with it. Happy with the color combo usually.

The rx-8: If I had to do it again today, I would probably change the color from gray to blue. I might forgo the Sport Package (xenon, fog lights, DSC). I'd really miss the xenons, though.

For both cars, there's the navigation question. When we got the wagon, I really wanted nav. The combination of my wife's desire for AWD and the fact that the BMW nav was pretty bad (and still CD based at the time, DVD was introduced the following MY), led to us getting AWD over the nav...and I've mostly thought I should have gone the other way since then. Nav on the RX-8 was a non-negotiable option...it had to have it. Today, it might be a little different. Having used the new Garmin C330 on a recent trip, I was so thoroughly impressed by it, that I'm not sure that OE nav would be a requirement for me on any new car. There are a lot of advantages to OE nav units, but the Garmin unit is cheap enough, small enough and good enough, as well as having its own advantages, to be a worthy contender.

lemming
06-09-2005, 05:49 PM
wow.

you guys are raising some good points. i've never had NAV or satellite radio (but they are standard on the V series). interesting.

it's also interesting that Snyde raises the Garmin C330 issue --do you think that is a better solution that the Palm add-on GPS navigation kit?

SCA
06-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Well, since I don't own a daily driver worth a shit I'm kinda SOL. Especially since I have no a/c (still).

I will tell you the things that I would have to have if I were to purchase a new car today.

Sport Pkg. if it's offered
SunroofMoonroof
Xenons
Possibly factory installed XM
An electric Rear sunshade would be nice, it gets toasty here in the summer.
Bluetooth
Prefer no power seats and no leather.

clyde
06-09-2005, 08:00 PM
it's also interesting that Snyde raises the Garmin C330 issue --do you think that is a better solution that the Palm add-on GPS navigation kit?

Absolutely.

Roadstergal
06-09-2005, 08:43 PM
The Miata was the perfect car for me. If I got another car, I'd do it the same way. If for some strange reason, I needed a back seat, I'd do another E30. Never needed more in a vehicle.

lemming
06-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Well, since I don't own a daily driver worth a shit I'm kinda SOL. Especially since I have no a/c (still).

I will tell you the things that I would have to have if I were to purchase a new car today.

Sport Pkg. if it's offered
SunroofMoonroof
Xenons
Possibly factory installed XM
An electric Rear sunshade would be nice, it gets toasty here in the summer.
Bluetooth
Prefer no power seats and no leather.

wow. and i thought i was the only weird one. i am not a leather fan (i like the alcantara treatment of the STi) and i HATE power seats. in fact, i hate power windows, too. xenons are really cool but it's been so long since i had them, i forgot what i'm missing already.

is satellite radio really that cool?

Rob
06-09-2005, 09:37 PM
The satellite radio grows on you. You will see, I suppose. It took a month or so for me to realize I liked it. I didn't drive the car all that much then. One day we were in the wagon and I was like "wtf! What's up with this no satellite radio?" It's nice to not have to listen to idiot djs in the morning.

Roadstergal
06-09-2005, 10:01 PM
I didn't like my XM experience. I'd rather have NPR and MP3s. Even though the former is a bunch of wankers who canned Bob Edwards - the XM bunch is a bunch of wankers who can't get billing or internet feed figured out.

lemming
06-09-2005, 10:08 PM
The satellite radio grows on you. You will see, I suppose. It took a month or so for me to realize I liked it. I didn't drive the car all that much then. One day we were in the wagon and I was like "wtf! What's up with this no satellite radio?" It's nice to not have to listen to idiot djs in the morning.

actually, i just want to play with the built-in g-meter without crashing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the rest of the stuff sounds cool, though.

the one thing i've regretted in the past is not getting the fastest car in its class that money could buy --it's not that i've owned many slow cars, but there are moments when i really feel the lack of power.

for example, the GT wagon pushes out 280ft#'s of torque (underrated by a lot), but 2.5 litres is still just 2.5 litres, turbo or not. when it's 91 degrees F and the A/C unit is on, it's still just 2.5 litres and turbo lag rears its head and the car feels incredibly slow. smaller displacement engines are really affected a lot more by heat soak than bigger displacement engines (are you listening, Hack?). in stop and go traffic in hot weather, you really cannot help but notice this.

ZBB
06-10-2005, 11:04 AM
I didn't like my XM experience. I'd rather have NPR and MP3s. Even though the former is a bunch of wankers who canned Bob Edwards - the XM bunch is a bunch of wankers who can't get billing or internet feed figured out.

But XM now has Bob Edwards on their "XMPR" station, which also has various other NPR shows...

ZBB
06-10-2005, 11:48 AM

I have a Garmin iQue, which is a Palm PDA with built-in GPS (they have a new version out that runs on Microsoft OS). I love it -- its not perfect for in car use (some of the on-screen buttons are a bit small), but overall has similar features to the C330. I haven't used the add-on GPS kits, but you have to figure out where to put the GPS antenna, and how to mount the Palm in the car (I use a Garmin bean-bag cradle for my iQue -- works great).

Roadstergal
06-10-2005, 12:35 PM

But XM now has Bob Edwards on their "XMPR" station, which also has various other NPR shows...

That's why I got XM.. and I tried to like it...

lemming
06-10-2005, 07:09 PM
the thing that i wish i had done is to just pull the trigger on the car that emotionally moved/moves me. that rational stuff is for the birds and not neutralizing that emotional desire is a bad thing. it leads to a clincial disease called "serial auto purchasing".

it's so dysfunctional that it becomes normal to friends and family after awhile. they cease to even recognize it as a disease and take it in stride.

but if you start out with the car that gives your heart a tug when you see it in the driveway, it's a huge plus.

Jason C
06-10-2005, 07:14 PM
but if you start out with the car that gives your heart a tug when you see it in the driveway, it's a huge plus.

I think in the end, it will come down to this. As well it should.

Fair!
06-10-2005, 11:41 PM
On our custom ordered 2005 Corvette Z51:
1) add XM radio option. Doh! Me and my "no frou frou options!" ideals. :rolleyes:
2) Blue instead of "boring silver" (there was a woman involved on that choice)
3) Set-aside money for race wheels and tires earlier.
4) Buy a used C5 Z06 instead.... :( Again, woman involved "it's prettier!"

lemming
06-11-2005, 11:11 AM
i don't think i'll ever give up the c5z06.

i was so thoroughly unimpressed with the c6z51 at the track that i already worry about the road feel (steering and braking) as well as handling even in the c6z06 package. the problem was that you could never tell what the hell the car was doing at the limits --could have been partly because of the lameass runflats, but runflats will likely be on the new z06.

one thing i'd like to do moving forward is to try to drive the potential cars at the track, if it's possible. because i'm interested in the 997S, the viper and the z06, that means before i take the plunge, i'd definitely go to the Porsche driving experience (alabama), skip barber and back to springmountainmotorsports. i'll bet for 99% of the people out there who do not understand why i hate the c6 so much, it's because all they do is cruise in it and have never been even close to its limits. and if you didn't see the car at its limits, you'd never find the weakpoints.....which only triggers another round of car buying to address those weakpoints.

Fair!
06-11-2005, 02:27 PM
i don't think i'll ever give up the c5z06.

i was so thoroughly unimpressed with the c6z51 at the track that i already worry about the road feel (steering and braking) as well as handling even in the c6z06 package. the problem was that you could never tell what the hell the car was doing at the limits --could have been partly because of the lameass runflats, but runflats will likely be on the new z06.

one thing i'd like to do moving forward is to try to drive the potential cars at the track, if it's possible. because i'm interested in the 997S, the viper and the z06, that means before i take the plunge, i'd definitely go to the Porsche driving experience (alabama), skip barber and back to springmountainmotorsports. i'll bet for 99% of the people out there who do not understand why i hate the c6 so much, it's because all they do is cruise in it and have never been even close to its limits. and if you didn't see the car at its limits, you'd never find the weakpoints.....which only triggers another round of car buying to address those weakpoints.
Yep, the C6 is fairly limited by the factory wheels and tires. I have complained since day one about the runflats and factory 19" bling bling rears. Can't get "real" R compounds for 19" and might not for a while... so there goes Stock class solo2 running.

There's also some issues with torque management/traction control software on the C6 (and LS2 GTO) that cannot be totally disabled. It kills the 1/4 mile performance and can't help solo2...

I am moving this car straight to ASP, and hopefully the 18x11fronts, 17x12 rears, and Kooks headers+exhaust will wake this thing up (as well as some LS2 Edit tweaking to turn the nanny software off). It's a lot nicer on the street than a C5 (I have driven many) but at the track.. yea, it's got issues.

Getting the traction control and active handling "disabled" (an elaborate button mashing routine) makes it a lot better, but there's still a little bit there you can't turn off... :(

Rob
06-13-2005, 01:49 PM
actually, i just want to play with the built-in g-meter without crashing.

My sister-in-law renamed the g-meter. It's now referred to the vomitometer in my brother's household. :lol:

It's tough to play with the meter though - the steering wheel blocks it as soon as you turn. It's too bad b/c watching the bar slide over is kind of fun. Until you hit that guard rail . . .