PDA

View Full Version : Audi flagship to offer ceramic brakes

Jason C
06-08-2005, 01:41 PM
http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/0535311431929521.JPG

"Starting in July, a ceramic brake setup will be available for the Audi A8 12-cylinder models. The new brakes are 50 percent lighter than the standard discs and offer much better brake life. The braking performance is also improved with more stopping power and better resistance to fading. Audi also claims that the weight reduction in the unsprung masses at the wheels helps the cars handling and makes for a more comfortable ride. No word on cost, but if your buying an A8 W12 it really doesn’t matter."

Now, I'm still a bit skeptical about ceramic rotors (mostly due to reports from Porsche owners about disintegration at track days). However after lemmings recent post about the M6 brakes, I find it a bit amusing that Audi will apparently beat BMW in regards to which make can get the uber-rotors onto the market first.

In other Audi news, they wil use FSI (eliminate port fuel injection) on all future engines. Unlike the ceramic rotors, I have no reservations regarding this move. I think it's an excellent idea, witness the improvement of the 1.8t PFI engine upon being remade into the 2.0t FSI.

Mathew
06-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Now, I'm still a bit skeptical about ceramic rotors (mostly due to reports from Porsche owners about disintegration at track days).

I doubt A8 drivers will have similar driving conditions as Porsche track junkies, at least as a daily driver kind of car.

FC
06-08-2005, 02:45 PM
I say this is GREAT news. Hopefully, MB and BMW will follow, and soon CCB's will be "affordable."

nate
06-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Good.

I hope that when they finally sell one that the customer orders ceramics.

SARAFIL
06-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Good.

I hope that when they finally sell one that the customer orders ceramics.

:lol:

We've got a W12 sitting in the back corner of our satellite lot where we store our cars, and it seems like it's been there for a long time. I can't tell if it is the lack of demand for the car, the shock over the price (760 or S600 territory), or the horrible color (Platinum Beige) that is responsible.

At least when the 760 came out, we had a line of people that had to have one-- football players, the "we gotta have the newest and greatest" people, the powerball jackpot winner, etc. I don't think the W12 A8 has had the same reaction.

lemming
06-08-2005, 09:48 PM
yeah.

well. my new big boss just got an a8.

i think it has to do with a more subdued class of people more familiar with money and past the novelty of it; the 7 series is a true extrovert's car, let's face it.

i applaud audi's new focus on some semblance of performance. the move to rear bias quattro as well as reducing unsprung weight plus already having led the cutting edge for aluminum chassis designs is nice to see. they already have great interiors. if they manage to dial in true performance then it won't be difficult to choose an audi over a BMW anymore.

nate
06-08-2005, 10:02 PM
yeah.

well. my new big boss just got an a8.

i think it has to do with a more subdued class of people more familiar with money and past the novelty of it; the 7 series is a true extrovert's car, let's face it.

i applaud audi's new focus on some semblance of performance. the move to rear bias quattro as well as reducing unsprung weight plus already having led the cutting edge for aluminum chassis designs is nice to see. they already have great interiors. if they manage to dial in true performance then it won't be difficult to choose an audi over a BMW anymore.

Maybe because they could spend less money and get the same thing, the VW Phaeton.

Oh wait, those aren't selling either.

I don't really find the 7 series much more of an extrovert's car than the A8. Even then, the MB is more subdued and popular. What the hell is VW/Audi thinking?

lemming
06-08-2005, 10:05 PM
i think the VW is too plebian for how much money they want; and no one spending for that class of car really wants the cheapass one (steel chassis) anyway, do they?

personally?

i'd skip all of them and get the STS-V series. hee hee hee. you can guarantee that it will come with nice brakes.

nate
06-08-2005, 10:10 PM
i think the VW is too plebian for how much money they want; and no one spending for that class of car really wants the cheapass one (steel chassis) anyway, do they?

personally?

i'd skip all of them and get the STS-V series. hee hee hee. you can guarantee that it will come with nice brakes.

Do you seriously think that many people buying a boat-like luxury car knows what the hell an aluminum chassis does?

Really, maybe 5 customers can tell the difference. That is not a large market.

lemming
06-08-2005, 10:15 PM
well, i don't have faith in most people's intelligence, so the first answer is that when given a choice between an audi and a VW, which one would someone buy if they had the money?

it's always going to be the audi. VW has positioned itself perpetually as the aspiring marque for people who want it all sooooooo badly but just can't get the real thing. someone who actually has the money isn't going to be wanting to own the VW.

but, yeah. in general, i think people who would be in the market for either car are going to ask the respective dealers what the differences are. both interiors are nice, so it's down to the engines and performance (correlated to weight).