PDA

View Full Version : Toledo, Toledo, Toledo

rumatt
06-05-2005, 10:46 PM
I'd like to make a prediction about my performance in Toledo: I will get somewhere between DFL, and top 1/3. :speechle: Unfortunately, I'm serious. :rolleyes:

I'm getting to the point that I do have the ability to put together a "pretty good" run. The bad news is that I'm not even close to being able to do it on command. I'd say about 1 out of 5 of my runs are actually anywhere near my max potential; the rest have at least one really bad mistake. :(

So with only 3 runs each day, the odds suggest that I will have at least one very poor day. If this happens twice, I'll be nearly DFL. However, there's also a tiny chance I'll bust out one decent run each day in which case I do believe I'll finish above the 50% mark.

Either way, I can't wait. This is gonna be fun. :banana:

bren
06-06-2005, 12:44 PM
This is gonna be fun.
Looks like it's going to be HOT...upper 80's with a chance of showers both days.

rumatt
06-06-2005, 01:02 PM
This is gonna be fun.
Looks like it's going to be HOT...upper 80's with a chance of showers both days.

Good thing Andy has me as a tire warmer. You said the Hankooks like heat, right Andy? :speechle:

Andy
06-06-2005, 01:35 PM
I'd like to make a prediction about my performance in Toledo: I will get somewhere between DFL, and top 1/3. :speechle: Unfortunately, I'm serious. :rolleyes:

Confidence man, you’ve got to have the confidence!! A lot of this sport is mental. If you let your brain get in the way it will screw with your focus. Just treat this like any other event, drive smooth, yet aggressive and you might just surprise yourself.

We’ve got 15 competitors in our class. There’s two heavy hitters that I’ll have my eye on… Courtney Cormier and Phil Croy. Courtney finished 2nd at nationals last year in his MINI Cooper S. I have not run against Courtney yet. Phil and I compete at the divisional level all the time. I’ve beaten him a few times but he is always a threat and can run right there with me. There may be a few more top runners that I just don’t know about.

You said the Hankooks like heat, right Andy? :speechle:
Heat? No. Rain? Yes.

I tested out the shaved Hankooks at a divisional last weekend in Peru, IN. Peru’s surface is almost identical to Topeka, so that is where I like to do my tire tests and car setup. It was dry and incredibly hot both days… around 85 to 90 degrees. I was a single driver car and opted to not water the tires down so I could feel at which temperature the tires would give up grip. Well, to make a long story short… on a hot day, without watering the tires down, you basically get one run and that’s it. After that they start giving up grip. Needless to say I will be bringing two water sprayers with us to Toledo. The good news… these shaved tires, are faster then snot!! …as long as we keep them cool. On day 2, on my first run, I put down a blazen fast time that I was unable to even come close to after that. Unfortunately, the Croys busted a radiator hose after Phil’s second run so I was unable to tell how fast my run was without him getting two more runs to try and beat it. Anyway, Matt, don’t let that scare you… we’ll have plenty of water to keep the tires cool so that should not be an issue.

I too am looking forward to this weekend!!

rumatt
06-06-2005, 02:07 PM
> There may be a few more top runners that I just don’t know about

Yeah, me! :P

> Heat? No.

Ug. So what's the point of having a codriver heat them up on you then??????? Ah well, no turning back now. I'm driving whether you like it or not. :P Maybe you should remount the KD's? :eeps:

Andy
06-06-2005, 02:20 PM
> There may be a few more top runners that I just don’t know about

Yeah, me! :P

> Heat? No.

Ug. So what's the point of having a codriver heat them up on you then??????? Ah well, no turning back now. I'm driving whether you like it or not. :P Maybe you should remount the KD's? :eeps:
Nah, we’ll be fine, nothing a few gallons of H20 can’t fix. :)

Trust me, you don’t want me to mount those KDs… those things are toast!! The Atlanta Tour, plus the Atlanta Pro, plus the Evolution Dial-In school cooked ‘em. I ran them in Toledo last month at a regional event and got my rear end handed to me… they have absolutely no grip left in them. :(

rumatt
06-06-2005, 02:36 PM
nothing a few gallons of H20 can’t fix. :)

Maybe we should we try liquid nitrogen.

elbert
06-06-2005, 02:44 PM
I heard Dasani does a good job

rumatt
06-06-2005, 02:55 PM
I heard Dasani does a good job

Hah, don't laugh. At the last autox I cooled my tires Azenis with some of my seltzer water that I brought for drinking. When I start competing at the national level I'll move up to Perrier.

rumatt
06-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Forcast in Toledo is 88 F with isolated thunder storms.

Woohoo, sounds fun. :speechle:

Andy
06-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Forcast in Toledo is 88 F with isolated thunder storms.

Woohoo, sounds fun. :speechle:
You'll like the full tread Kooks in the rain... trust me. :)