PDA

View Full Version : Z4 3.0 Step Loaner

GSR13
11-05-2003, 02:21 PM
While my 330i is in the shop, I have been driving a Z4 3.0 Step. This is the second time I have gotten this car for a loaner, but last time I spent very little time in the car. This time, I have spent a great deal of time just driving the car.

Despite the fact that this car is an Auto, it is pretty fun to drive. It takes a bit of adjustment, compared to the Z3, but after getting everything right the car fits a lot better. The steering is nice, but I would prefer the heavier feel even at slower speeds, but I can understand how women would like this. I hate having the window switches on the door and even worse they are a mile away from the hand. Oddly enough, the passenger window will not automatically roll up. Not sure if this is broken, or simply an option you can turn on and off and I just cannot figure out how.

The real thing I like is how much fun this car is to push, and push hard. It feels a lot more stable than the Z3 and the limits are farther out, but it will break loose and the car is very easy to toss around. I would guess I have taken more than a few miles off the rear tires snapping it around corners. Plus, it rained this morning and that it made it even more fun.

What I also found interesting is the number of people who want to see the car and the number of people who actually point as I drive by.

At any rate, I still say the car looks better moving and the wheels make a huge difference. That said, it is a much better Roadster than the Z3 and is certainly an excellent drive. There are a couple of things I would change, but overall it is a worthy replacement to the Z3.

ZHPhil
11-05-2003, 02:33 PM
I've had a 2.5 loaner and had fun driving it, but 3.0 would be more fun. In fact I am getting one on Friday :cool: Maybe I will push it a bit, even with the underpowered 2.5 engine :speechle:

The HACK
11-05-2003, 04:30 PM
It seriously needs better tires than the run-flat pieces of crap though.

FC
11-05-2003, 04:46 PM

I drove a Z4 2.5 5-speed over the weekend and I found the steering wheel to be tiny (good) but very thin. It just felt like I was driving a toy. Maybe it's the thick M-wheel that I have in the 330i... I dunno.

The HACK
11-05-2003, 04:49 PM

I drove a Z4 2.5 5-speed over the weekend and I found the steering wheel to be tiny (good) but very thin. It just felt like I was driving a toy. Maybe it's the thick M-wheel that I have in the 330i... I dunno.

It's the smaller overall diameter. I find the wheel to be as thick as my OEM 323Ci sports steering wheel.

I actually like the smaller diameter wheel though.

FC
11-06-2003, 08:20 AM

It's the smaller overall diameter. I find the wheel to be as thick as my OEM 323Ci sports steering wheel.

I actually like the smaller diameter wheel though.

Yeah, I agree. I like the smaller diameter. But the thickness is smaller than the Alcantara M-wheel of the 330i (which is also thicker than the Sport wheel). If it could be smaller and thick, that would rock.