PDA

View Full Version : GNX?

clyde
06-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Real or not?

http://www.westcoast6s.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/gtosadwwrbd.jpg

GNX. No other name in automotive history says "80's Supercar" like those three letters. Now the legend is back.

Buicks 2007 GNX is a modern-day incarnation of classic street performance. When you turn the key and hear the throaty dual exhausts announcing the Twin Turbo 3.6L V-6, you'll know you have your hands full. Compared to its '80s namesake, the new GNX sports a suspension that is tighter, an engine that's more powerful and a manual transmission that now boasts two additional gears. The car will hit 60 mph (97 km/h) in about four seconds, and run the quarter mile in under 13 seconds. There's nothing like it in its class.

Total performance

The completely new GNX isn't just about horsepower, of course. Its unique personality includes impressive cornering abilities, a smooth ride and surprising comfort. But the heart of the GNX is indeed a truly awesome Twin Turbo and Intercooled 3.6l V-6 engine, also known as the base powerplant for the Buick Velite Concept. The GNX produces an estimated 458 horsepower and with 469 lb.-ft. of torque, it has no problem leaving a stop with purpose.

Eighteen-inch alloy wheels and performance tires are matched to a fully independent, performance-tuned suspension featuring direct-acting stabilizing bars and power rack-and-pinion steering. Traction control and a limited slip differentials also come standard. And, today's GNX revs through six forward speeds with the close-ratio manual transmission, or you can choose a six-speed Hydra-Matic. Both come with a 3.46:1 final drive ratio.

Performance-oriented interior

The GNX is, first and foremost, a driver's car. Every detail, from the satin-finish steering wheel to the race-inspired metallic pedals, gives the driver a sense of performance from the moment the car is entered. The standard feature list starts off with leather 2+2 bucket seats, in black -color-coordinated with the vehicle's exterior color. The high-tech seats provide lateral support, wrapping around the driver and front passenger and complementing the great handling characteristics of the chassis. Also standard is a six-disc CD-changer with premium 10-speaker sound system, cruise control, a multi-function driver information center, keyless entry system and a host of other features to enhance the driving experience.

Sensuous design

Rather than create an imitation of the original legend, the 2007 GNX provides a contemporary interpretation of the classic buick sports coupe. The distinctive, tautly stretched exterior, aggressive lowered stance and sleek, simple form all help express the clean, athletic styling direction of Buick. Add this to the obvious performance of the vehicle and you have a rear-wheel-drive TT+I V-6-powered premium sports coupe wrapped in a seamless, modern design.

Safety and quality

Bringing the GNX to a safe stop is accomplished through standard four-wheel disc brakes (ventilated front, solid rear), part of a four-channel anti-lock braking system. Other standard safety features include dual front air bags, three-point safety belts for all occupants and an Emergency Mode that automatically shuts down the engine, turns off the fuel pump, unlocks the doors and turns on the dome light any time the air-bag system is deployed.

Production of the 2007 Buick GNX will begin in September 2006 at Holden's award-winning Elizabeth plant in Australia using the latest techniques to ensure both measurable and "perceived" quality. Projected annual production will be 18,000 vehicles.

General Information
Price: $38,500
Miles Per Gallon: 19/25 mpg
Curb Weight: 3598 lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/AWD
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual

Engine
Type: DOHC V6
Displacement: 3600 cc
Horsepower: 458 bhp @ 5200 rpm
Torque: 469 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Redline: 6500 rpm

Performance
0-60 mph: 4.1 sec
0-100 mph: 10.1 sec
Quarter Mile: 12.5 sec @ 112.5 mph
Skidpad: .96g
Top Speed: 179 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 115 ft
Slalom Speed: 66.4 mph

Jason C
06-02-2005, 08:41 AM
A bit late for april fools, isn't it?

Buick wants to lower its octogenarian age average? This would be a good way to do it.

ADDED: I doubt it's real, otherwise the camaroz28 forum would be swarming all over this topic.

clyde
06-02-2005, 08:42 AM
It is a fake, but fun nonetheless...

:twisted:

blee
06-02-2005, 09:01 AM
I saw this one a little while ago, I think. It would be fun.

...but "80's supercar?" The GNX was a badass mofo of a coupe, but it wasn't much of a supercar. C'mon now. :P

JST
06-02-2005, 09:23 AM
The Monaro wouldn't make a good GNX. It handles too well.

TD
06-02-2005, 09:36 AM

It would actually be a great idea for GM.

Too bad that pretty much guarantees it would never happen.

Jason C
06-02-2005, 09:40 AM

:lol:

JST
06-02-2005, 10:02 AM

I don't know why GM would be any more able to sell these than they are able to move the surplus of 400 hp GTOs off their lots, especially given that the GTO costs 5K less (MSRP--10K less in real terms) than the hypothetical price of the car above.

clyde
06-02-2005, 10:22 AM
For one, possibly, the GTO looks like a gooey piece of molten marshmellow. Even the new ram air wannabe scoops for '05 don't help it much. It looks like a cross between the original Taurus and a Generation VIII T-Bird (83-88) that's been stuck in a wind tunnel suffering wind erosion ever since, only to emerge now as a nondescript blob of sheetmetal and plastic.

Add the weight, the confidence reducing brakes and the less than modern option list for whizbang features; and then finally tack on the typical Pontiac dealer arrogance (trying to adjust the market price in the wrong direction) and you have what you have.

Address one or two of those items and you could well have a winner...well something good enough to be profitable, anyway.

Of course, if it were to resurface as a Buick, it would likely have to overcome totally misguided marketing as well.

hockeynut
06-02-2005, 10:29 AM
I do like the fact that the GTO isn't an overclad mess. Sure it needs some help, but at least it was a step in the right direction.

blee
06-02-2005, 10:30 AM
I do like the fact that the GTO isn't an overclad mess. Sure it needs some help, but at least it was a step in the right direction.

Pontiac thankfully grew out of their body cladding phase around the turn of the century. The GTO doesn't need ground effects...it needs character.

JST
06-02-2005, 10:33 AM
For one, possibly, the GTO looks like a gooey piece of molten marshmellow. Even the new ram air wannabe scoops for '05 don't help it much. It looks like a cross between the original Taurus and a Generation VIII T-Bird (83-88) that's been stuck in a wind tunnel suffering wind erosion ever since, only to emerge now as a nondescript blob of sheetmetal and plastic.

Add the weight, the confidence reducing brakes and the less than modern option list for whizbang features; and then finally tack on the typical Pontiac dealer arrogance (trying to adjust the market price in the wrong direction) and you have what you have.

Address one or two of those items and you could well have a winner...well something good enough to be profitable, anyway.

Of course, if it were to resurface as a Buick, it would likely have to overcome totally misguided marketing as well.

Altering the styling in any meaningful way would take time and money, both of which would reduce the viability of the business case. The PS posted doesn't significantly alter the styling of the GTO in any event, and I think would be vulnerable to the same criticisms that have been leveled at the GTO.

The weight is dictated by the platform and mechanicals--I doubt that a twin turbo 3.6 would be any lighter than an LS2, and the proposal above calls for using Holden's AWD system, which would be even heavier.

The brakes have been revised this year, but apparently still aren't up to snuff. Spec'ing better brakes would help the car perform better, but by itself it won't lead to many sales.

The Buick dealer network is, in many cases, exactly the same as the Pontiac dealer network. Where it isn't, I bet you that it isn't any better. In fact, I'm all in on that one (stands up, walks around).

More features (real trunk, sunroof, XM, Nav, Bluetooth) would be useful, but you don't need to make it a Buick to add these.

Finally, selling a car like this would perpetuate the schizophrenic marketing that Buick suffered from back in the 80s. Is it a mid-price luxury car? Is it a balls to the wall performance car? WTF is it?

GM's got enough brands that Buick, of all things, doesn't need a bad ass performance car. A nice RWD luxury coupe, maybe. A nice RWD luxury sedan, maybe (though query whether there really is or should be room underneath/next to Cadillac). But not a bad ass sports car. Leave that for Pontiac.

dan
06-02-2005, 10:39 AM

Tiger would probably much rather sell a GNX than a Rendezvous

http://www.detnews.com/pix/2000/02/10/a1tiger2.jpg

TD
06-02-2005, 11:36 AM
I think the single biggest problem GM has is the stigma associated with it's products. A whole generation of young people have grown up with strong negative assocations to the Pontiac and Buick brands. Chevy is mostly tranished too. Only Cadillac has reasonably effectively revived it's brand image.

So when you offer a worthwhile product (like the GTO), a large percentage of potential buyers is likely to either not pay any attention simply because it's a Pontiac or deliberately avoid it because it's a Pontiac.

Maybe they need another new brand (a la Saturn) to house any potential world-class caliber offerings. Granted that sounds a lot like the horrible "Merkur" idea over at Ford. But considering the image GM has with the majority of import buyers, it might be necessary.

While not a badge snob in the way many BMW buyers are badge snobs, I will admit that the Pontiac badge is the biggest obstacle in the way of me seriously considering a GTO. And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

Plaz
06-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Maybe they need another new brand (a la Saturn) to house any potential world-class caliber offerings. Granted that sounds a lot like the horrible "Merkur" idea over at Ford. But considering the image GM has with the majority of import buyers, it might be necessary.

I'm no PR/Marketing/Branding/Management expert, but it seems to me they already have too many brands given their shrinking market share.

I can't help but wonder if their best move would be to consolidate all their marques under a single brand, whether it was simply "GM(C)" or something new.

Maybe phase out the others over time, so blue-haired midwestern Buick and Pontiac loyalists can continue buying their brand of choice for a few years (until they die off).

ff
06-02-2005, 12:06 PM
I think the single biggest problem GM has is the stigma associated with it's products. A whole generation of young people have grown up with strong negative assocations to the Pontiac and Buick brands. Chevy is mostly tranished too. Only Cadillac has reasonably effectively revived it's brand image.

So when you offer a worthwhile product (like the GTO), a large percentage of potential buyers is likely to either not pay any attention simply because it's a Pontiac or deliberately avoid it because it's a Pontiac.

While not a badge snob in the way many BMW buyers are badge snobs, I will admit that the Pontiac badge is the biggest obstacle in the way of me seriously considering a GTO. And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

For me, it goes a lot deeper than the simple fact that "it's a GM". They produce junk. Lifeless, boring, disconnected, disposable junk. A test drive of any of their mainstream cars, and you understand why they're destined to end up in a car rental lot. Or in the driveway of a buyer that is either under-informed, hates driving alltogether, or can't get past their union-loving patritism to consider owning something with a Japanese or German name.

There's a place for them, but it's not hard to see why GM's market share has tanked, and why they've alienated an entire generation with the steady flow of crap from their factories.

JST
06-02-2005, 12:07 PM

It's all about product.

The biggest barrier between me and a GTO is the GTO. It's a great idea that looks good on paper, but the product itself doesn't meet my needs or expectations. It has a few key flaws that make it unappealing, no matter what badge it wears.

If the GTO were a slightly different car, would I have bought one? In a heartbeat. If the GTO looked exactly like it does but drove like a CTS-V, there'd be one parked in the garage right now.

Brand equity is not an immutable thing. It can be lost...but it can also be gained. The way to gain brand equity is to build desirable products. While you might have a tough row to hoe in the initial marketing, ultimately a single quality product will overcome negative brand associations, and a series of quality products will begin to build equity.

Four years ago, none of us on this board would have seriously considered a Cadillac. Then Cadillac began releasing a series of excellent products, not least the CTS-V. These days, when Cadillac releases a new product, I pay attention. The CTS-V might be the only one that *I* would buy, but it isn't the only one I'd recommend, and the Cadillac brand is starting to build some real equity among the cognoscenti. Give it some time, and assume that the level of quality and design continues to be high, and that awareness will spread.

For another example, look at Nissan/Infiniti. Four years ago, Infiniti had three products, one that was a poor imitation of a Lexus and two that were warmed-over versions of Nissans. None was a class leader. Today, Infiniti has a range of products, nearly every one of which demands to be taken seriously. For me, the Infiniti brand has gone from being a slight liability to being a strong positive--based on recent history, I expect good things when they release a car.

It sounds simple, and it is. But that doesn't mean it's easy to do.

Back to your point, TD. Go drive a GTO and put it out of your mind. You won't like it, but the reason won't have anything to do with the badge on the grille.

Whatever you do, though, don't drive a Mustang. If you do, I think you might really be screwed. :eeps:

ff
06-02-2005, 12:22 PM
I agree completely, JST. People forget things and move on, as long as the "things" clean up their act/improve/stay out of the bad spotlight for a period of time. People are buying Explorers and Firestone tires these days. I see plenty of foods with FD&C red dye #5. The skies are filled with lots of unafraid people travelling by plane. And shoot, Pete Rose might still make it into the baseball hall of fame someday...

We forget and move on.

clyde
06-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Whatever you do, though, don't drive a Mustang. If you do, I think you might really be screwed. :eeps:

And searching the JC Whitney catalog to find a screaming chicken decal for the hood of your new car. :eeps:

Jason C
06-02-2005, 06:29 PM

And searching the JC Whitney catalog to find a screaming chicken decal for the hood of your new car. :eeps:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RMR
06-03-2005, 12:57 PM

I agree with this and must say that having grown up with a few Pontiacs and other GM automobiles, I cannot trust in the thought that Pontiac can build a good sports/performance car. Their track record of reliabiltiy, performance and resale all suck IMO. Plus Pontiac's cars inherently have a driving feel that is significantly different (in a bad way) than most performance imports. For me I would take my $32k and dump it on a Nissan 350Z before a GTO. For me the extra 100+ hp is not worth the issues I would have with the GTO. I'd feel happier driving the Nissan 40,000 miles later knowing that it will probably feel almost as tight and quick as it did when i bought it.

TD
06-03-2005, 01:12 PM

I agree with this and must say that having grown up with a few Pontiacs and other GM automobiles, I cannot trust in the thought that Pontiac can build a good sports/performance car. Their track record of reliabiltiy, performance and resale all suck IMO. Plus Pontiac's cars inherently have a driving feel that is significantly different (in a bad way) than most performance imports. For me I would take my $32k and dump it on a Nissan 350Z before a GTO. For me the extra 100+ hp is not worth the issues I would have with the GTO. I'd feel happier driving the Nissan 40,000 miles later knowing that it will probably feel almost as tight and quick as it did when i bought it.

Well, the GTO isn't built by GM in North America. It's built by Holden in Australia. And I suspect the quality itself is on par with (or better than) any European make (which have issues of their own).

zach
06-03-2005, 01:20 PM

I'm no PR/Marketing/Branding/Management expert, but it seems to me they already have too many brands given their shrinking market share.

I can't help but wonder if their best move would be to consolidate all their marques under a single brand, whether it was simply "GM(C)" or something new.

Maybe phase out the others over time, so blue-haired midwestern Buick and Pontiac loyalists can continue buying their brand of choice for a few years (until they die off).

I actually am a marketing expert.

GM is very concerned with the branding of all the divisions. The company is currently working on reinforcing the desired images for each division. Pontiac is a good example. Whereas Pontiacs were once driven mostly by "beanie-baby collecting hairdressers from the midwest", Pontiac has now really stepped up the performance marketing.

That said, Pontiac will disappear; probably within ten years.

FC
06-03-2005, 01:25 PM
I actually am a marketing expert.

:bigpimp:

:)

blee
06-03-2005, 01:35 PM
That said, Pontiac will disappear; probably within ten years.

I don't get it. Buick owners are sexagenerians and the division is clearly in a vague territory between practical Chevy and luxurious Caddy. Pontiac is turning around their product lineup and trying very hard to project a sporty image, lowering the already-not-that-old buying age in the process. What does GM have to gain by axing Pontiac instead of Buick?

zach
06-03-2005, 01:44 PM
I What does GM have to gain by axing Pontiac instead of Buick?

As Cadillac completes it's image change to one of performance luxury, GM needs a brand that will straddle the segments once owned by the old buick and old floaty cadillac brands. Buick fits this. There will always be golfers out there.

Pontiac is the obvious choice.