PDA

View Full Version : Getting Clutch Replaced

GSR13
11-05-2003, 12:47 PM
A couple of months ago I took my 330i in for service due to a strange noise coming from under the car. Plus, I had some notchiness in the clutch pedal and assumed all this was a bad throwout bearing. Sure enough, the dealer replaced the throwout bearing.

Unfortunately, the car was actually worse when I got it back. The noise is still there, a new clicking noise developed and the clutch pedal has an awful vibration/shudder ever since.

So, I took the car in yesterday for scheduled service and asked them to check it again. This time, my Service Advisor called and said they are replacing the clutch.

I kind of wish I had never taken it in before. I have a feeling the noise was nothing and the notchiness in the pedal were the clutch pedal bushings, which they also replaced. I believe the work done earlier has somehow caused more problems, leading to my clutch replacement.

Oh well, live and learn. I certainly hope everything is back to normal after this.

zach
11-05-2003, 12:49 PM
A couple of months ago I took my 330i in for service due to a strange noise coming from under the car. Plus, I had some notchiness in the clutch pedal and assumed all this was a bad throwout bearing. Sure enough, the dealer replaced the throwout bearing.

Unfortunately, the car was actually worse when I got it back. The noise is still there, a new clicking noise developed and the clutch pedal has an awful vibration/shudder ever since.

So, I took the car in yesterday for scheduled service and asked them to check it again. This time, my Service Advisor called and said they are replacing the clutch.

I kind of wish I had never taken it in before. I have a feeling the noise was nothing and the notchiness in the pedal were the clutch pedal bushings, which they also replaced. I believe the work done earlier has somehow caused more problems, leading to my clutch replacement.

Oh well, live and learn. I certainly hope everything is back to normal after this.

If everything isn't back to normal, make sure you don't pay for the clutch replacement. Things like this get misdiagnosed all the time.

The HACK
11-05-2003, 12:56 PM
They replaced the throw-out bearing without replacing the clutch? :?

GSR13
11-05-2003, 02:07 PM
They replaced the throw-out bearing without replacing the clutch? :?

Yeah, brilliant huh? And my SA just called saying they had to order some additional parts because the car will not start. I suggested they remove the UUC Clutch Stop, as it is likely that is the culprit. The SA just sort of laughed and said he would call me back.

GSR13
11-05-2003, 02:08 PM

If everything isn't back to normal, make sure you don't pay for the clutch replacement. Things like this get misdiagnosed all the time.

I am not paying for anything, as the car is a 2003 330i. I just bought the car back in January and it only has 13,500 miles on it.

lemming
11-05-2003, 02:27 PM

I am not paying for anything, as the car is a 2003 330i. I just bought the car back in January and it only has 13,500 miles on it.

to be honest, i'm surprised (i know it varies dealer to dealer) that you weren't hassled about your nonOEM clutchstop which could be argued to a superficial degree to have caused premature clutch wear.

(it's happened).

having it under warranty is a mixed blessing. it's "free" on one hand, but on the other hand, it's a return to the heavy OEM dual mass flywheel.

am glad that you're enjoying the z4 loaner.

cheers,

GSR13
11-07-2003, 02:23 PM

to be honest, i'm surprised (i know it varies dealer to dealer) that you weren't hassled about your nonOEM clutchstop which could be argued to a superficial degree to have caused premature clutch wear.

(it's happened).

having it under warranty is a mixed blessing. it's "free" on one hand, but on the other hand, it's a return to the heavy OEM dual mass flywheel.

am glad that you're enjoying the z4 loaner.

cheers,

I never had the flywheel replaced, the one in the car is OEM. Has something changed in the design or did you assume that I had replaced the flywheel?

As for the ClutchStop causing issues with the dealer, it was a concern. But just recently this dealer has started carrying UUC Products and really does not seem to mind certain performance mods. They seem to have a handle on what causes problems and what does not.

By the way, it is now Friday and the car is still at the dealer. Apparently, they got the car started and felt the new clutch did not feel right, so they are putting another clutch in. So, hopefully I will get the car today.

Akakubi
11-07-2003, 02:44 PM
When we did a tranny swap on a '92 325i from automatic to the M3 manual, we encountered the same problem. The clutch would not feel right.

A new clutch, throwout bearing and a pressure plate needed to be installed. Then a proper bleeding was an issue also. BWM bleeder valve is sitting on the bottom of the slave cylinder and sucks in air no matter how hard you try. You must remove the slave cylinder, flip upside-down and then bleed... :dunno:

When doing research on the matter, we found out that it's very hard for the shop to bleed the BMW clutches properly. Some use syringes and swear by them...

GSR13
11-07-2003, 04:07 PM
When we did a tranny swap on a '92 325i from automatic to the M3 manual, we encountered the same problem. The clutch would not feel right.

A new clutch, throwout bearing and a pressure plate needed to be installed. Then a proper bleeding was an issue also. BWM bleeder valve is sitting on the bottom of the slave cylinder and sucks in air no matter how hard you try. You must remove the slave cylinder, flip upside-down and then bleed... :dunno:

When doing research on the matter, we found out that it's very hard for the shop to bleed the BMW clutches properly. Some use syringes and swear by them...

That's interesting. I know they finally called letting me know the car is ready, so I should be picking it up in a couple of hours. Definately anxious to see how it feels.