PDA

View Full Version : a waffle of a different sort

clyde
06-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Some of you have heard about the world's most expensive vinegar spill in history. For the rest of you, to make a long story short, due to a few ounces of spilled vinegar on the kitchen counter about 8 weeks ago, we are now seriously contemplating two courses of action:

1) Make all of the improvements to the house that we ever wanted to do, such as updating the kitchen, replacing the old drafty windows, replacing the 1960s era wiring throughout the house, refinish the wood floor upstairs, replace most of the carpet downstairs, build a garage and possibly expanding the master bedroom and bath, updating/upgrading the HVAC, etc.

2) Put in the absolute minimum of work/money into the house, sell and buy another house somewhere nearby that better meets our needs.

Our thinking right now is that we should stop anticipating a near future move back to CA and move along with the idea that we're either going to stay in this house, or the next house if we move, at least until our youngest is through with high school (17 years give or take, I guess). If the right job in CA comes along before then, we'll carefully consider all of the pro and cons...and then take our lumps as we move out there.

Option 1 would cost a lot of money...and be a lot more than I'd really like to spend. But the benefit is that we'd ge the house we want with the superduperfantastickickass garage that I want and be able to enjoy it for many years.

Option 2 would be less expensive, but it still wouldn't be cheap. First, a not insignificant sum would vanish into a realtor's pocketbook, then there are the moving expenses, all the fees on the new mortgage, and no matter how close the new house is to our needs, we'll still find ourselves spending quite a bit to make it an even better fit. Some of those expenses will be pretty small, some of them line items that will stand out on their own, but all together it's more than enough to give me pause. And then there's the part about losing the super low unfriggingbeliveable intrest rate that we have right now that would make a similar sized mortgage on another property much more expensive.

By my estimates and WAGs, the front end cost difference between the two options is in the realm of "well, we'd probably be happier with an improved version of our current house...how much is that worth to us?" Comparative financial impact on the back end gets trickier to predict and thus I'm trying not to think about it too much...but... If we did everything that we want to do in Option 1, we won't see much of it back when it eventually comes time to sell. The best we could hope for is that the property would be easier to sell in a down market. If we go with Option 2, I don't think that we'll be able to find the "right house" that we could afford in an area (within the larger DC metro area) we'd be willing to move to that has any better appreciation potential than where we are now.

And that all brings us around to the up front cost differences between the two options and what kind of dollar figure to hang on the value of improvements over the costs of moving. Not really sure what to do other than change the current situation one way or the other... The longer we delay, the more it costs and the longer it will take to get wherever we're going.

Just venting. If anyone has any experiences or insights, please feel free to share...

Roadstergal
06-01-2005, 02:02 PM
What about location? Does this house or any you would possibly consider be within walking distance to parks, groceries, etc.? Is there decent room for kids to play, bike, rollerskate, whatever in current location vs. potential move locations? Better schools or bus service?

Was it balsamic?

bren
06-01-2005, 02:13 PM
I'd lean towards option 2 assuming there are houses that fit my wants/needs in an area that I actually want to live in and can afford. Of course my reality is that I will be buying a 60's era house and gutting it.

JST
06-01-2005, 02:36 PM
I'd lean towards option 2 assuming there are houses that fit my wants/needs in an area that I actually want to live in and can afford. Of course my reality is that I will be buying a 60's era house and gutting it.

You know what they say about location in real estate.

How happy are you with where you are now? The ONLY reason I would consider option 2 is if there is somewhere in the metro DC area that would be a substantial improvement for you in terms of location, either in terms of something tangible (like schools, or easier access to downtown, etc.) or something intangible but important (like someplace you've always wanted to live).

Otherwise, as you point out, you are going to spend a lot in commissions moving, and you will not find a house that perfectly meets your needs (esp. in this market), and you will have to spend money and effort moving, and you will have to spend money and effort on improvements.

Why not option 1.5? Leave the windows, leave the wiring, refinish the floors, redo the kitchen/bath, and build a stand-alone garage? That'll be cheaper, it'll be money that will be easier to recover on the back end (while everyone might appreciate upgraded wiring, no one is going to pay extra for it), and it will make nearly as a big difference in the curb appeal/saleablility of the house as doing the more major renovation work?

killerdeck
06-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Option 2 And then there's the part about losing the super low unfriggingbeliveable intrest rate that we have right now that would make a similar sized mortgage on another property much more expensive.

Well maybe this will help. The 10 year treasury hit a low not seen since March 2004 today. It is trading at 3.90% right as I write this. Other than a few months back in Feb - March 2003 it has really not consistently averaged much below 3.75% - 4.00%. So unless your mortgage started in a couple of those months you should be alright getting a loan for relatively cheap even when compared to the last 3 years.

Here is a good idea of what you might pay for a 30 yr fixed in your area:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/updates/ybir/ybir_results.asp?web=brm&params=mtg,M,1,DC,20

FC
06-01-2005, 02:59 PM
I say option 1. Moving is really horrible for all the obvious reasons, and if you could be happy remodeling the house, do it. Location, of course, is the most important thing. If you are reasonably happy where you are, I say fix it up.

The only way we are moving out of our house is if we really want and can afford luxuries we dont have in our house AND if adding said luxuries would be throwing money down the tube because the house could not "support" those enhancements upon resale or would just look ridiculous. In that case we're better off moving elsewhere.

Save for the school system, (which isn't bad, just not amazing) our location is excellent. So maybe we'll consdier moving before our kids hit High School, or send them to private school (I'd rather not for many reasons). But that is MANY years away.

clyde
06-01-2005, 03:10 PM

You know what they say about location in real estate.

How happy are you with where you are now? The ONLY reason I would consider option 2 is if there is somewhere in the metro DC area that would be a substantial improvement for you in terms of location, either in terms of something tangible (like schools, or easier access to downtown, etc.) or something intangible but important (like someplace you've always wanted to live).

Otherwise, as you point out, you are going to spend a lot in commissions moving, and you will not find a house that perfectly meets your needs (esp. in this market), and you will have to spend money and effort moving, and you will have to spend money and effort on improvements.

Why not option 1.5? Leave the windows, leave the wiring, refinish the floors, redo the kitchen/bath, and build a stand-alone garage? That'll be cheaper, it'll be money that will be easier to recover on the back end (while everyone might appreciate upgraded wiring, no one is going to pay extra for it), and it will make nearly as a big difference in the curb appeal/saleablility of the house as doing the more major renovation work?

re: option 1.5... Refinishing the floors is something that we would do ourselves at minimal cost. The windows and HVAC are a quality of life issue that we need to resolve if we stay. Cost of rewiring is a drop in the bucket compared to the major stuff. The bedroom/kitchen would probably be left alone if we do a detached garage. We could make the bathroom look nicer, but it would still be too small. Also, if we do the kitchen today, it will still look old and be crying for another redo in 15 years.

The object of making improvements would be to make the place the place we want to stay.

We like the location, and it should only get better with time. but we could probably find another place that takes care of nearly everything...leaving only the ability to add a lift to that house's garage out in the cold.

(sigh)

Nick M3
06-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Speaking purely out of self-interest, I say you need a lift.

Plaz
06-01-2005, 03:27 PM
I'd put a lift in our garage if the ceilings weren't so low. As it is, a lift would lift my car into my daughter's room. :eeps:

clyde
06-01-2005, 03:30 PM

Which is why you will be part of the cheap labor crew I will be assembling to do a lot of the work, if we go that route.

JST
06-01-2005, 03:32 PM
I'd put a lift in our garage if the ceilings weren't so low. As it is, a lift would lift my car into my daughter's room. :eeps:

That might be fun for her.

rumatt
06-01-2005, 03:37 PM
until our youngest is through with high school (17 years give or take, I guess).

Better play it safe and assume 20-24.

Get the lift.

bren
06-01-2005, 03:42 PM

Which is why you will be part of the cheap labor crew I will be assembling to do a lot of the work, if we go that route.
I've seen him wield a sawzall...you might want to rethink that :P

clyde
06-01-2005, 03:48 PM

You should "expand" your current garage to include the end of your driveway and put the lift there.

Plaz
06-01-2005, 03:52 PM

You should "expand" your current garage to include the end of your driveway and put the lift there.

Interesting thought. Unfortunately, we're not in Houston, and the zoning would, I'm sure, forbid that. (Much too close to neighbor)

Roadstergal
06-01-2005, 03:57 PM

That might be fun for her.

:lol: :thumbup:

clyde
06-01-2005, 03:58 PM

Interesting thought. Unfortunately, we're not in Houston, and the zoning would, I'm sure, forbid that. (Much too close to neighbor)

Call your county permits or zoning office. Setbacks vary from here to there, variances are usually pretty easy to come by in most places and you might be surprised.

Rob
06-01-2005, 04:04 PM
How about option 3? Pack up and move NOW while you are thinking about spending all this money. I am sure the right job is available - you just have to find it. :)

Seriously, if you are looking at investment quality, you are likely to make your present house into the most valuable house in the area. That's fine if you really are going to stay there, but it will bring your investment down if you do get the opportunity to move back to Cali. From that stand point, moving might be better.

It is no picnic to live in a house that is being renovated. You will have to deal with it every day for as long as it takes and it will take twice as long as they tell you. Windows don't take too long, but it sounds like you are talking about doing a lot of new stuff.

I would probably either renovate to get exactly what I wanted or buy in a new development and build to suit, but only if I was ready to accept that I wasn't leaving any time soon. On the other hand, committing to doing this might just make that Cali job pop right up.

Get the lift. Then come and help me raise my garage ceilings.

clyde
06-01-2005, 06:09 PM
the front end money difference is a factor, the back end really isn't. I've decided that if & when the time comes, I'll eat it and be happy to get back to where I belong.

I know that my wife would prefer to stay in this house given a 6 or half dozen scenario, and I think we have something close to that, but she'll go along with whatever I want to do. The one thing that we absolutely agree on is that it should be sooner than later...whichever it is.

bren
06-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Here you go...garage problem solved:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4442674&postcount=1

rumatt
06-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Damn that's cool. I don't have space for that, but I wonder if my parents would notice if I put a couple of them in their back yard. I could paint trees on it so it blends in. :eeps:

clyde
06-22-2005, 03:54 PM
wouldn't really solve anything

for the time being, I have taken the "if I ignore it, it will go away" appraoch...doesn't seem to be working, though...

rumatt
06-22-2005, 04:03 PM
for the time being, I have taken the "if I ignore it, it will go away" appraoch...doesn't seem to be working, though...

You're just not doing it right.

clyde
07-07-2005, 11:52 PM

Apparently not.

We have decided that looking for a new house is our best bet.

:eeps:

FC
07-08-2005, 08:02 AM

Apparently not.

Good luck man. Sometimes that is the best way to go.

Rob
07-08-2005, 02:02 PM

Apparently not.

Excellent. Need a place to stay while you look at your options in S.D.? :)

clyde
07-08-2005, 02:05 PM

Apparently not.

Excellent. Need a place to stay while you look at your options in S.D.? :)

(sigh)