PDA

View Full Version : Nate, we can open our mouth now...

The HACK
11-04-2003, 11:38 PM
http://www.bmracing.com/featureProd.html

Okay, I told nate not to say anything until the SEMA show is on...This is suppose to be when they announce this unit's availability. They've already put it up on their site.

I've wrote a short description of it on 'Fest, but I'll let all of you in on a little bit more secret. There's plans to machine either Delrin or urethane bushing replacement for the rubber carrier bushing. The unit is engineered in the U.S. but constructed in Germany by one of their suppliers. This is quite possibly the best short shift kit available on the market, and I'm not just saying it because Steve and the B&M guys do so much for us So. Cal enthusiasts, I'm saying it because in person the kit looks just down right AMAZING. It really puts the ACS unit to shame, and the folks at B&M as much admitted it...This unit is specifically designed to show off Schnitzer, and their other units are designed specifically to combat UUC.

And at this price break, there really is no other kit on the market anyone should consider. Heck, it's cheaper than the Rogue and ACS unit, marginally more expensive than the UUC and significantly better than all the others. I am actually giddy with excitment about it and can't wait until I get my hands on one.

SpaceMonk
11-04-2003, 11:45 PM
Fantastic. I'm glad I hadn't pulled the trigger yet on the old B&M unit. Thanks for the tip. I'm drooling in anticipation. :twisted:

What is the pricing and availability timeframe?

Nick M3
11-04-2003, 11:51 PM
Someone let them know there's a rather major typo...

mquetel
11-04-2003, 11:54 PM
That looks and sounds like a really nice product. Perhaps this is the SSK that will make me go for it... will you be getting an eval unit to test and review?

The HACK
11-04-2003, 11:55 PM

Where? Can you point it out...I need to pass that info along.

You mean the Tenknik part?

Pricing is $399 retail, available as of now from BavAuto I believe.

dan
11-04-2003, 11:57 PM

first red word on the page

The HACK
11-04-2003, 11:58 PM
That looks and sounds like a really nice product. Perhaps this is the SSK that will make me go for it... will you be getting an eval unit to test and review?

I will have to ask. But even if I don't get an eval unit I'll probably just go and buy one.

mquetel
11-05-2003, 12:01 AM

do I detect a group buy? (hint, hint). :D

SpaceMonk
11-05-2003, 12:01 AM

You mean the Tenknik part?

Sweet. BavAuto is one day delivery to me. :D

I hate their site though, can't find the part.

lemming
11-05-2003, 09:04 AM
is it still true that it is a fair bit of work to get an SSK kit installed in an 'xi' equipped vehicle?

nate
11-05-2003, 09:15 AM
I don't really know that much about short shifters or why this would be better than anything else :dunno:

It acually looks exactly like the "new" UUC kit...

Nick M3
11-05-2003, 09:54 AM
is it still true that it is a fair bit of work to get an SSK kit installed in an 'xi' equipped vehicle?

According to UUC the problem is twofold:
first of all, it's a pain in the ass.
second, the existing kits don't shorten the throw at all.

What they say is that you really need to relocate the pivot point in order to make some sort of SSK application function, but that that's impossible without actually removing the tranny.

lemming
11-05-2003, 10:08 AM

What they say is that you really need to relocate the pivot point in order to make some sort of SSK application function, but that that's impossible without actually removing the tranny.

thank you for clarifying that. would not go to the trouble to do it then.

oh well.

Nick M3
11-05-2003, 10:53 AM
thank you for clarifying that. would not go to the trouble to do it then.

oh well.

Sucks, don't it?

The HACK
11-05-2003, 11:53 AM
I don't really know that much about short shifters or why this would be better than anything else :dunno:

What new uuc kit?

The HACK
11-05-2003, 11:57 AM

I'd have to find out from Steve @ B&M if their old kit works with Xis. The shift pivot cup is integrated into the kit, and all you need to do is remove the shift rod and the nylon cup which is easy on the Xi.

nate
11-05-2003, 05:48 PM

What new uuc kit?

On the website, the EVO III.

new to me :dunno:

The HACK
11-05-2003, 05:58 PM

New to me too, but the B&M unit is lightyears ahead of this. The shift carrier and the the pivot cup is machined from one single aluminum, and it retains the biggest advantage B&M shifter has over the UUC unit...the Zero tolerance, self lubricating bronze pivot ball and bushing. UUC still uses the OEM nylon cup coupled with their steel pivot ball.

The B&M unit comes completely assembled as one piece...This will require dropping the transmission to install for sure. Again, when I get one installed in my car I will offer more detailed review, but from looking at it and from B&M's explanation on the geometry and engineering behind it, it seems to me to be the King of all short shift kits.

mquetel
11-06-2003, 09:32 AM

New to me too, but the B&M unit is lightyears ahead of this. The shift carrier and the the pivot cup is machined from one single aluminum, and it retains the biggest advantage B&M shifter has over the UUC unit...the Zero tolerance, self lubricating bronze pivot ball and bushing. UUC still uses the OEM nylon cup coupled with their steel pivot ball.

The B&M unit comes completely assembled as one piece...This will require dropping the transmission to install for sure. Again, when I get one installed in my car I will offer more detailed review, but from looking at it and from B&M's explanation on the geometry and engineering behind it, it seems to me to be the King of all short shift kits.

Apologies (again) for the lack of mechanical knowledge, but what does dropping the tranny mean? Can you give a quick description of the process?

The HACK
11-07-2003, 09:13 PM

Apologies (again) for the lack of mechanical knowledge, but what does dropping the tranny mean? Can you give a quick description of the process?

Lowering the transmission. Involves removing the transmission mounts, un-bolting the driveshaft from the transmission, unbolting the engine mounts, and HOISTING the engine up to force the transmission housing to move down.

mquetel
11-08-2003, 12:05 AM
Lowering the transmission. Involves removing the transmission mounts, un-bolting the driveshaft from the transmission, unbolting the engine mounts, and HOISTING the engine up to force the transmission housing to move down.

:awe:

That sounds like major surgery! I wonder how many hours it would take to install this SSK... :dunno:

The HACK
11-08-2003, 02:43 PM

That sounds like major surgery! I wonder how many hours it would take to install this SSK... :dunno:

With the proper tools (a lift and a tranny jack), 30 minutes.

RKT BMR
11-10-2003, 08:30 AM

With the proper tools (a lift and a tranny jack), 30 minutes.
:shock:

HACK forgot to mention that he does all his work inside a stasis field, where time is accelerated to 10x normal passage compared to the outside.

He was referring to wall-clock time outside the stasis field.

The HACK
11-10-2003, 02:48 PM
:shock:

HACK forgot to mention that he does all his work inside a stasis field, where time is accelerated to 10x normal passage compared to the outside.

He was referring to wall-clock time outside the stasis field.

Okay so I forgot to mention that time taken to drink beer and socialize is not included in the 30 minute estimate. add those in you're probably staring at about 1.5 hour labor.

Actually if you have access to the proper tools and equipment (namely a tranny support AND a lift) I think I can do this in half an hour.