PDA

View Full Version : Weekend autox update 5/28

rumatt
05-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Autox'd the 330i for the first time since last year. It was also the first time after installing my UUC sways. The sways were set to full stiff front, medium rear.

Impressions:

- Holy crap it took a few runs to get used to this car after the E30. That may sound obvious, but I specifically tried to go slow through the first two corners and ended being way to fast anyway. Doh! I couldn't believe it.

- My car was pretty damn tail happy. I couldn't believe how a) the car kept wanting to spin, and b) I couldn't get power down. I'm going to change the rear sway to soft for the next event. I can't believe that people run the UUC's full stiff all around. Either a) their cars are different from mine, or b) they haven't driven near the limit.

- Good lord the E30 is more fun to autox. I'm driving my E46 again next weekend, then Andy's the weekend after that. We'll see what happens after that, but so far.... E30 1, E46 0

BahnBaum
05-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Autox'd the 330i for the first time since last year. It was also the first time after installing my UUC sways. The sways were set to full stiff front, medium rear.

Impressions:

- Holy crap it took a few runs to get used to this car after the E30. That may sound obvious, but I specifically tried to go slow through the first two corners and ended being way to fast anyway. Doh! I couldn't believe it.

- My car was pretty damn tail happy. I couldn't believe how a) the car kept wanting to spin, and b) I couldn't get power down. I'm going to change the rear sway to soft for the next event. I can't believe that people run the UUC's full stiff all around. Either a) their cars are different from mine, or b) they haven't driven near the limit.

- Good lord the E30 is more fun to autox. I'm driving my E46 again next weekend, then Andy's the weekend after that. We'll see what happens after that, but so far.... E30 1, E46 0

I'm going from hamster power last weekend to a little more power tomorrow. I'm kinda looking forward to not having to stick my foot out the door trying to pedal.

Alex

rumatt
05-28-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm going from hamster power last weekend to a little more power tomorrow. I'm kinda looking forward to not having to stick my foot out the door trying to pedal.

I don't know.. your M3 is just another fat pig E46. I'd stick with the E30.

Now if you'd stop being such a wuss and get coilovers for the M3 it would be a different story. :rolleyes: :twisted:

bren
05-28-2005, 08:49 PM
Now if you'd stop being such a wuss and get coilovers for the M3 it would be a different story. :rolleyes: :twisted:
:kekeke:

Andy
05-28-2005, 11:38 PM
I’ve found full stiff in the rear and medium up front works best on my car. She rotates well in the tight, slow stuff and will slither through slaloms like you would not believe. The compromise for that though, is in the fast sweepers… the rear will step out on you if you’re not careful… a quick twitch of the wheel and some more throttle will generally straighten her out though.

I’m eager to see what your impressions of the car will be after Toledo.

… but yes, our cars are drastically different so what works best for mine more then likely will feel a lot different on yours.

rumatt
05-29-2005, 07:54 PM
You have different bars, right? RD? I have UUC, which has a much thicker rear bar.

clyde
05-29-2005, 08:17 PM
You have different bars, right? RD? I have UUC, which has a much thicker rear bar.

thickness doesn't necessarily measure stiffness

BahnBaum
05-29-2005, 08:20 PM

You guys should get a hotel room or something.

Alex

rumatt
05-29-2005, 08:38 PM

OK, I said what I meant, but I didn't really mean quite what I said. :?

I could be wrong, but I believe UUC sways have a reputation for making the car more "neutral" than the other sways. :dunno:

Pinecone
05-29-2005, 09:37 PM
I was running UUCs full stiff front and rear today. I liked it, once I figured out what the car was going to do.

Like Andy says, pretty nice rotation in slower stuff, have to be on top of it in faster stuff, especially with the power on, but my times seemed to say the two of us (car and driver) were happy. :)

But then again, I learned to autocross in a rear engined car. Oversteer is my friend.

Nick M3
05-29-2005, 11:53 PM

OK, I said what I meant, but I didn't really mean quite what I said. :?

I could be wrong, but I believe UUC sways have a reputation for making the car more "neutral" than the other sways. :dunno:

No, UUC made those claims themselves.

Andy
05-30-2005, 08:59 AM
You have different bars, right? RD? I have UUC....
Yes, I have the RD bars.