PDA

View Full Version : Edmunds: GTO vs. STi

Jason C
05-27-2005, 02:54 AM
Voila:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=105773?flushCache=true

What would TD pick? The STi is reasonably practical, goes, turn, and stops very well, and is not even slightly isolated. But it has riceboy styling, and our curmudgeon doesn't like big wings and baby-eater hood scoops.

On the other hand, the GTO is nice, conservative, offend-no-one (if ordered in a subdued color and without the holes in the hood, extremely conservative). And it's got lots of straight line power. But oh no! It's been filed under the category of "big heavy fat pig" by the denizens of this place. And Mr. Curmudgeon says that he doesn't like fatpigs, though he may be getting soft on that point. :P

So let's open this poll up to people other than TD. Which one would you buy for yourself, and why?

EDIT: Wow, it looks like Edmunds somehow got lemming to write the review of the STi, and JST to write the review of the GTO. :speechle:

John V
05-27-2005, 07:29 AM
Ugh. Having driven both, I'm not sure I want either one.

The STi intrigues me, but there are a few things that make it completely unsalable to me. The ride is terrible. The first thing I'd have to do is replace the dampers with some proper non-inverted struts. The styling doesn't work for me either and there's no way to fix that. The engine sounds like it was lifted from a tractor. And the interior sucks. But it's more fun to drive than the GTO... for about five minutes.

The GTO's bland styling doesn't bother me but its 3600lb curb weight does. The stiff no-feel clutch isn't fun either. The engine is great and I can deal with the stiff transmission. The interior is very, very nice to my eyes and hands. Even the back seats are usable. It has a nice ride and decent handling, even if there is no steering feel.

Man, I dunno. The autocrosser in me prefers the STi but for a daily driver I'd definitely go GTO.

FC
05-27-2005, 08:37 AM
If I were to consider buying either car it would have to be to drive the piss out of it, and the STi seems better suited for exhilarating drives and track/autox work.

So I say pass the hot sauce, I'll have the rice.

Of course, I've driven neither. :rolleyes: :)

RMR
05-27-2005, 10:27 AM
I would not consider either of these cars but if I was forced to I'd have to go with the STI. To me it wins out in the majority of the categories. My only problem with it is the raw interior and the racer looks exterior.

To me the other option is a no brainer. The GTO looks like a bloated old Chevy Cavalier. I also do not need a car that weighs 3,725lbs and has 400 hp. Living in Chicago I would go nuts with the monthly gas fill ups.

JST
05-27-2005, 10:45 AM
As much as I disliked the GTO, I'd buy one before I bought an STI. As a 24K car, the Impreza is great. As a 34K car? Yeah, no.

But I'd buy a Mustang before I bought either one.

ayn
05-27-2005, 02:56 PM
There were GTOs in my run group last 2 times I was at the track, they both sucked big time... I don't think there was a run session in which I didn't lap a GTO... I don't see why anyone would buy a GTO, let alone choosing one over an STi!!

Jason C
05-27-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm leaning towards the STi...

For me, there's a lot of appeal to the GTO. It's more comfortable, has a better interior, sounds fantastic, and I actually prefer the sleeper looks of it (if a bit dull) to the riceboy STi. Plus the engine appeals to me more, in terms of power delivery. Did I mention that it sounds terrific?

But what really kills it for me is what they said about weight and involvement. I want a car in this category to be communicative and precise. The GTO just seems to be too soft, too heavy, and too filtered. Amusingly enough, it got beaten out in edmunds slalom times by a Solara. Though I suppose a lot of that was due to lots of power + not enough tire. Still, impressions from both edmunds and the various JST test drives are of a slow-witted car. Might be fine in a vacuum. But there's a lot of alternatives nowadays, especially in that price range.

The polls are running just about even! Hey, I though carmudgeons migrated away from late-model BMW's because of their fat-piggery and their detached driving feel. What gives? :tongue:

But I can see why someone would pick the GTO. Hell, ask me about it tomorrow and I might change my mind.

I'd take the S2000 (2.2) over either one of them, though.

FC
05-27-2005, 04:48 PM
The polls are running just about even! Hey, I though carmudgeons migrated away from late-model BMW's because of their fat-piggery and their detached driving feel. What gives? :tongue:

While true, BMW aren't THAT fatpigged(sp?!), and at least they do a great job tunning the suspension so most of the time you don't feel the weight as much (unless you REALLY push the cars).

lemming
05-27-2005, 05:39 PM
i'd say:

skip the GTO. i drove one the same day that i drove the CTS-V again. night and day. and i'm not that impressed with the LS2, either. it's fine. i'm sure that it has a lot more power in it that will be uncapped during its product life. i like the more aggressive nature of the LS6; mind you, it doesn't take much to make an LS2 eat an LS6 alive, but in OEM form, i still prefer the LS6.

and i'd also say, after owning an 04 STi and having driven an 05 STi, skip it also.

save your money for the 06 WRX which will have the legacy GT engine (2.5 litre turbo) with variable valve timing. it would be the odds on favorite for pricepoint and performance.

Jason C
05-27-2005, 05:52 PM
save your money for the 06 WRX which will have the legacy GT engine (2.5 litre turbo) with variable valve timing. it would be the odds on favorite for pricepoint and performance.

But will it look like this? :speechle:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_library/dir_38/car_portal_pic_19383.jpg

Even I can't stomach that kind of styling. The current STi is in the "barely tolerable" category as it is.

nate
05-27-2005, 05:59 PM
I don't really want either.

But, I'd take the GTO. I think that the turbo lag would annoy the hell out of me. V8>turbo

Jason C
05-27-2005, 06:11 PM
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/subaru-wrx-06-sti-1.JPG

thats the one... sorry, I have been laptop-less. living on hotel pron... anyhoo.

Thanks all who stuck up for me. They allowed no cameras at the presentations. The STi looks DEAD on to that pic. Has a tiny upper window rear wing on it as well.

Subaru dealers just had their big meeting with Subie corporate in San Francisco. I don't think this guy (dealership dude) is BSing.

Ugh... :nono:

lemming
05-27-2005, 06:32 PM
not sure if the 06 car will look like that?

it would not shock me, however, it is supposed to be merely a carryover year --i think that car you see is the ALL NEW chassis and sheetmetal which is too debut in 07; hopefully they'll see fit to get rid of the current generation's rear suspension and maybe use a multilink setup like the Evo instead of struts all around.

i like the way the new STi looks, actually. i don't like this current generation of WRX because it's too tame; i liked the bug-eyes 2002's better (i had an 02 wrx wagon).

Jason C
05-27-2005, 06:48 PM
not sure if the 06 car will look like that?

It will. Basically a nose job. Suspension will be carryover but there will be more options and trim. The WRX will get a 2.5. STi engine is mostly unchanged.

Like the Bangled BMWs, I don't think I'll warm up to the styling much at all.

Rob
05-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Wow. Look at that vote count. Talk about equality.

I agree with Nate. v8>turbo. Or, put another way, Torque > almost everything.

Jason C
06-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Looks like edmunds stirred up a shitstorm!

http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5460195&page=0&fpart=1&v c=1

The replies from a GTO owner in that thread is priceless... my sides are still hurting from the pic on page 4 posted in response. :lol: :lol: :lol:

lemming
06-05-2005, 10:19 AM
actually, i voted for the STi, but if i were buying the car tomorrow, i'd probably opt for the LS2-powered 6 speed GTO.

just because.

i love the rush of turbo power, but i'm in a period of small block v8 fascination and there is nothing like it. the torque of a turbo four still takes some time to get spooled up and the STi is no lightweight. it's ferocious, but the initial bite is soft before the engine gets going.

just my .02 --haven't owned a GTO but i have owned the 04 STi. there is no doubt that the STi is the faster car. on street tires, it has the potential to turn 7:59 laps at the 'ring; the CTS-V, which is faster than the GTO, is an 8:15/8:17 level car.

that is an ice age's worth of time on that track.

ayn
06-05-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm glad Edmunds got it right this time, there is nothing the GTO is good for besides maybe drag racing or to compensate for something...