PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi Eclipse, what's the point?

Jason C
05-23-2005, 07:36 PM
So it's now on sale. If it does well for a few years, they have a chance of averting Chapter 11. :dunno:

I'm actually warming up to the styling, it helps that I'm not-quite-in cranky curmudgeon territory yet. But I see big power+FWD+(nose)heavy and I think, why? In (roughly) the same pricing bracket...

For handling, I have one clear pick - the RX-8.

For power (and style) it's gotta be the Mustang GT.

For practicality, reliability, low stress, etc etc - Accord Coupe V6, with a 6-speed.

So where does this new Eclipe fit in? I guess for someone who wants a little more power and sporty feel than the Accord, but doesn't want to go all-out with the Stang or the RX-8.

It seems like a narrow slice of the market to aim for, though.

(BTW Mitsubishi: See this?

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/images/2006/ecl/build/ecl_gt_caruvblue_build.jpg

It's from your website. And while it does look nice, you conveniently hid the fact that in real life, it comes with a ride height that makes the SN95 Mustang look like a F1 car. All the better to fit snow chains! :rolleyes: )

blee
05-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Bored at school, are we? :)

I think it's great that Mitsu decided to dump the family car look and return to the Eclipse styling that was such a hit with the import crowd. That said, I think the guts of this particular Eclipse are still too close to Dad's grocery getter. I don't dig it, although I think it looks decent.

Jason C
05-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Bored at school, are we? :)

Nope... class hasn't started yet. :devcool:

It's veering dangerously into fatpig territory. It's front heavy. And FWD. Think steering wheel fight.

They had better send the engineers who work on the Evo to this car, give us something sharper and less compromised for a MMY update, please.

rumatt
05-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Aren't there a lot of cars that don't make much sense, but seem to sell anyway?

lemming
05-23-2005, 10:18 PM
this one won't sell anymore than the wrinkly tin can current generation.

if you ask that much money for a FWDer, it has to have more than style.

heck, the altima SE-R could still embarass it.

it will go the way of the celica in the late 80s/early 90s. the most popular celica was the ST and that stood for "secretarial transport" because not many guys wanted the car as it got heavier and pokier and pricier. and voila. it away for a long time.

Plaz
05-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Saw one at the NY auto show. Much nicer than the previous version, and with much more power, IIRC... but still something I would never ever come close to considering.

John V
05-24-2005, 07:15 AM
So where does this new Eclipe fit in?

It's got a big motor. Someone will drive it and like the feel of it.

Man, it is heavy as hell though.

It will be hot for maybe a year - it looks interesting even if it isn't really good looking per se - but as with all sporty coupes sales will lag and it'll get killed off in a couple years.

JV

Jason C
05-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Mitsubishi stopped sales of the new 2006 Eclipse because of a problem with the vacuum brake booster could cause brake failure. Automotive News reports that Mitsubishi reported the problem to the NHTSA noting that up to 1185 vehicles could be involved in the recall. Only 44 Eclipses reached owners hands this month. We thought the Eclipse was supposed to change Mitsubishi fortunes. Thanks for the heads-up Tom.

Are automakers pushing new cars to market too fast? The new Eclipse has brake problems, Toyota, a company that prides itself on a low number of recalls, has recalled the all new Avalon (actually tagged a 2005) and now DaimlerChrysler is already recalling the 2006 Mercedes M-Class for a defective power steering fluid cooling hose that could cause a loss of fluid. The press has backed the automakers in a corner. When GM stalled the Cobalt coupe for fit issues and Ford kept the Five Hundred/Montego/Freestyle for a quality shakedown, they received slack. I’d rather see a car held from market for an extra month to ensure everything is right.

Or two months or three... and you just know a bunch of these new cars have problems that don't ever get recalled. They just use TSBs for as long as possible to get under the public radar. :nono:

elbert
05-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Or two months or three... and you just know a bunch of these new cars have problems that don't ever get recalled. They just use TSBs for as long as possible to get under the public radar. :nono:

No different than BMW: control arm bushings, rear shock mounts, window regulators, sunroof shades, zhp stalls, crankshaft sensors, corner lamps falling out, climate controls draining batteries... I'm sure there are more. I guess that problem with radiator switches igniting cars was a bit too hard to hide.

I think the Eclipse will sell well. After all, the General sold how many Grand Am coupes?

Jason C
05-26-2005, 05:19 PM
No different than BMW

Obviously not. I didn't mention any specific makes, they all do that. Even those that have a squeaky-clean rep with the press (read: Toyota, Honda).

Plaz
05-26-2005, 05:20 PM
After all, the General sold how many Grand Am coupes?

That really is amazing, isn't it.

elbert
05-26-2005, 10:07 PM
No different than BMW

Obviously not. I didn't mention any specific makes, they all do that.

If that's the case, why did you bring it up in the first place?

nate
05-26-2005, 11:46 PM
unattractive

Jason C
05-27-2005, 02:34 AM
No different than BMW

Obviously not. I didn't mention any specific makes, they all do that.

If that's the case, why did you bring it up in the first place?

Because it's kinda sad that a make like Mitsubishi (who needs all the success they can get) is already stumbling out of the blocks. Same for GM and the Solstice bumper fit/finish issue. The aforementioned makes with the press on their side get a free ride when it comes to these things. :rolleyes:

lemming
06-05-2005, 02:44 PM
the eclipse is pretty quick for a FWDer.

it's a solid sub 6 second car --why they still use that IRON BLOCK 3.8 litre engine is beyond me. it could give the car slightly more balance if they had less weight up front.

it's amazing how hard it would be to go back to a FWD car after years and years of RWD and AWD.

blee
06-05-2005, 03:01 PM
C&D only coaxed 6.1 to 60 in their 6-speed V6 Eclipse. The new car looks okay, but it's heavy, fat, and decidedly underperforming. Still, the article pointed out that the Eclipse's best sales year ever was in 2000, well into the second generation. Who am I to argue with being big? :dunno:

lemming
06-05-2005, 08:40 PM
the problem is our demographic.

we're all too old for this particular car. we're also a pretty "experienced" (or some would say "spoiled") group of car people. that's why this car has absolutely zero appeal to most of us.

i think most people here would buy a MCS first, or a used 330 before they'd spend high 20's for that mitsu eclipse. it's pretty oldsmobile style if the thing weighs over 3500 pounds and 61% of it is on the front axle.

:)

Jason C
06-05-2005, 10:32 PM

we're all too old for this particular car. we're also a pretty "experienced" (or some would say "spoiled") group of car people. that's why this car has absolutely zero appeal to most of us.

As opposed to, say, an adolescent Mustang?

:eeps: :outtaher:

lemming
06-06-2005, 09:30 PM

As opposed to, say, an adolescent Mustang?

:eeps: :outtaher:

yeah, but.

the mustang has some serious history. the eclipse history.....well.......i guess you could hope that the eclipse has the sort of history the mustang has.

interestingly, the only people i see in mustangs around here are older people --i wonder if it's because supply is so constrained that the normal "adolescents" can't pony up the money like older people can.

guess they'll have to wait their turn.

the new eclipse is just like the new m6 to me. it's a lifestyle car. there is no logical reason to own either when you could have the same speed in the altima se-r or m5.