PDA

View Full Version : Audi A3

Doug
05-23-2005, 11:00 AM
I checked out the Audi A3 this weekend. I like the car. As with many of todays cars it looks better in person than in pics, especially the front end. The car is very solidly built. Sound deadening is better than BMW. Build quality is as good. Ergonomics were very good and the interior was a nice simple layout. There is ample room even for a smallish car though I wouldn't want to put someone big in the back seat for long. The sport seats have a nice bolster, about the same or maybe a tad deeper than the M3. The local dealer got 16 in and only have the 1 left. There was a line to look at the car. I didn't drive it since I'm not that serious about buying yet but I'd definately consider this as a daily commuter car.

The folks who did drive it were impressed and said the turboed 4 pulled nicely. Next year it will come out in all wheel drive.

JST
05-23-2005, 11:47 AM
I checked out the Audi A3 this weekend. I like the car. As with many of todays cars it looks better in person than in pics, especially the front end. The car is very solidly built. Sound deadening is better than BMW. Build quality is as good. Ergonomics were very good and the interior was a nice simple layout. There is ample room even for a smallish car though I wouldn't want to put someone big in the back seat for long. The sport seats have a nice bolster, about the same or maybe a tad deeper than the M3. The local dealer got 16 in and only have the 1 left. There was a line to look at the car. I didn't drive it since I'm not that serious about buying yet but I'd definately consider this as a daily commuter car.

The folks who did drive it were impressed and said the turboed 4 pulled nicely. Next year it will come out in all wheel drive.

Torque steer absolutely ruins the FWD version.

An AWD version may be the hot ticket, but at a presumptive price of 35K equipped the way I'd want it I'd be looking elsewhere.

John V
05-23-2005, 11:57 AM
How much does the thing weigh?

JV

JST
05-23-2005, 12:39 PM

JV

A porcine 3263 lbs, according to Audi's website. And that's the FWD version.

Anyone interested in the FWD A3 that does not absolutely need 4 doors should wait for the GTI. Or buy an R32.

TD
05-23-2005, 12:53 PM

JV

Anyone interested in the FWD A3 that does not absolutely need 4 doors should wait for the GTI. Or buy an R32.

I happened to drive by our local Carmax on Saturday (literally - I don't mean to imply I stopped in) and noticed that the truck that was there unloading had an R32 on it which was about to come off.

I meant to go back yesterday to check it out but I forgot about it until just now.

If they price it without the influence of hallucinogens I might be interested. (I reference the hallucinogens as it appears that everyone trying to sell one on Autotrader has been hitting something pretty hard - some are priced ABOVE sticker, the rest not much better.)

John V
05-23-2005, 01:47 PM

JV

My word. What is it with Audi?

JV

Nick M3
05-23-2005, 02:01 PM

JV

JV

That's how they manage the sound deadening. :p

lemming
05-23-2005, 04:18 PM
i have run across the same two a3's in my daily commute. it's a real looker in person.

not a fan of FWD, as you know, but the new engine is supposed to be nice.

all in all, if i were fixated on that class and type of car, i'd just wait for the 9-3 Kombi with the 2.8litre twin turbo v6 (250hp). if you're going to settle for awd and something reasonably light --> i'd go saab over the audi in that scenario.

Plaz
05-23-2005, 04:40 PM

JV

JV

That's how they manage the sound deadening. :p

Yes, solid lead does wonders for acoustic dampening. :lol: