PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable adn Griot's does the job

ZHPhil
11-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Did the full monty detail of the exterior this past weekend :smile: Stripped, shampooed, Machine Polish #3, BOS and paste overlay of the flat surfaces :thumbup: The results were great but there were a few items that could have used #2 polish or perhaps IHG (of which I had neither :wutblau: ) But any way I was quite pleased, kudos to Griot's :cool:

Sample of the results ...... yes that is the trunk lid :P

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21455

clyde
11-04-2003, 11:29 AM

What's the part number for that special ZHP trunklid? :dunno:

ZHPhil
11-04-2003, 11:48 AM

:lol: :lol:

Maybe Hack or Vincent can look it up for me :scratch: ;)

kognito
11-04-2003, 11:54 AM

:lol: :lol:

Maybe Hack or Vincent can look it up for me :scratch: ;)

Will Groits be adding any special ZHP stuff to thier product line?? :flame:

The HACK
11-04-2003, 12:12 PM
IHG would dramatically improve the shine but it's a pain to apply and take off...A lot of elbow grease but the return is well worth the effort.

You should try Griots purple paste wax. One of the easiest to apply with the orbital and very easy to take off...In fact, by the time I'm done, I've used too much wax and yet there's almost NO residue left to remove. It does take over 24hr to cure, unlike BOS wax (about 2-4 hours to cure), so make sure you apply the 2nd coat after a day.

ayn
11-04-2003, 12:36 PM
I might detail my bimmer this weekend as well, so strip wax, #3, #2, and back to #3, and then IHG before BOS? IHG is a filler right?

--Andrew

FC
11-04-2003, 12:44 PM
I might detail my bimmer this weekend as well, so strip wax, #3, #2, and back to #3, and then IHG before BOS? IHG is a filler right?

--Andrew

What is IHG? :? I hope to get a PC for the spring time.

The HACK
11-04-2003, 12:49 PM

--Andrew

3M Imperial Hand Glaze is a glaze with filler properties and zero abrasive properties. I'd use it more often if it werent for the fact that they're a pain in the *ss to take off. You have to apply it and buff it out by hand and it's a tedious process.

FC
11-04-2003, 12:50 PM

--Andrew

3M Imperial Hand Glaze is a glaze with filler properties and zero abrasive properties. I'd use it more often if it werent for the fact that they're a pain in the *ss to take off. You have to apply it and buff it out by hand and it's a tedious process.

Oh... ok. Thanks.

dan
11-04-2003, 12:57 PM

--Andrew

why 3, 2, 3? you can just start with 2 and then use 3 right?

The HACK
11-04-2003, 01:40 PM

I do that sometimes, although I don't know how effective it is.

I will run Machine 3 over the entire car, and if there are imperfections that Machine 3 does not take care of on the initial run, I'll use Machine 2 on those spots and then apply 3 over the same area again. There are a few deep scratches introduced by the car bra on the front hood that required 3, 2, 1, 3 in sequence to "lighten". They're still there but the IHG covers most of it up.

ZHPhil
11-04-2003, 02:10 PM
IHG would dramatically improve the shine but it's a pain to apply and take off...A lot of elbow grease but the return is well worth the effort.

You should try Griots purple paste wax. One of the easiest to apply with the orbital and very easy to take off...In fact, by the time I'm done, I've used too much wax and yet there's almost NO residue left to remove. It does take over 24hr to cure, unlike BOS wax (about 2-4 hours to cure), so make sure you apply the 2nd coat after a day.
The purple stuff is what I used to do the overlay :smile: I applied it by hand though.

I was thinking of just using the IHG on the scatched areas. Do you do it over the entire car :?:

The HACK
11-04-2003, 02:14 PM

The purple stuff is what I used to do the overlay :smile: I applied it by hand though.

I was thinking of just using the IHG on the scatched areas. Do you do it over the entire car :?:

Yeah, the whole car. IHG also creates a mirror like wetness over the entire surface of the car, if you apply it on spots you may get a slightly different result/finish after you seal it in with wax.

I use the purple past wax as the base wax since it lasts longer, then layer BOS on top...Although I suppose your method may last longer and provide better shine, since I've noticed that the BOS stuff is actually shinier than the past wax, but the past wax last longer. I'll have to try that next time.

ZHPhil
11-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Yeah, the whole car. IHG also creates a mirror like wetness over the entire surface of the car, if you apply it on spots you may get a slightly different result/finish after you seal it in with wax.

I use the purple past wax as the base wax since it lasts longer, then layer BOS on top...Although I suppose your method may last longer and provide better shine, since I've noticed that the BOS stuff is actually shinier than the past wax, but the past wax last longer. I'll have to try that next time.
That for the clarification :thumbup: I will track the results of my technique and keep you apprised.

GSR13
11-05-2003, 02:30 PM
My neighbor keeps his vehicles very clean and does a decent job detailing his cars, but knows nothing about Griots or the PC. He recently purchased a 1962 VW Beetle and had them paint it Red. After all the work was done and he finally got the car, it looked very poor in direct light.

The paint job was decent, but the car was Wet Sanded and never buffed. The paint had a lot of surface scratches and was very dull, a shame since the red he chose was very nice.

So, naturally, I allowed him to use my Griots Machine Polish and Porter Cable. I taught him the technique and left it with him. After days, and a whole lot of work, the car came out stunning. He was, to say the least, amazed. A coat of Zaino later and he is sold on the PC.

Not to mention taking Glass Polish and the PC to all the windows. It is amazing the results you can get with good products and a lot of patience.

RKT BMR
11-14-2003, 09:45 AM
I might detail my bimmer this weekend as well, so strip wax, #3, #2, and back to #3, and then IHG before BOS? IHG is a filler right?That first pass of #3 seems like a complete waste to me... Do you have some theory behind it? :dunno:

RKT BMR
11-14-2003, 09:48 AM
I will run Machine 3 over the entire car, and if there are imperfections that Machine 3 does not take care of on the initial run, I'll use Machine 2 on those spots and then apply 3 over the same area again. There are a few deep scratches introduced by the car bra on the front hood that required 3, 2, 1, 3 in sequence to "lighten".
Ahhhhh... that makes sense.

After building some experience with all three polishes and how they affect different degress of damage, you get a sense for when you will need to go straight to #2 or #1 without having to start at #3, see what happens, then work your way down the hierarchy.

RKT BMR
11-14-2003, 09:56 AM

HACK, you're really getting me intrigued about IHG... I think I'll pick up a bottle and give it a try. I already have a pretty solid mirror finish due to polishing, but hey, there are a few scratches here and there after 2.5 years, so if IHG would make even better, I'm sold.

Yesterday I parked right behind an olive greenish (don't know the exact color) MY02 330i at the ATM, and had a moment of great pride. The other car was quite clean, but the comparison with my OB finish that had been carefully polished and cared for was extraordinary. My car looked like it was a reflective still lake, while the other, while still looking good, didn't have the same mirror finish.

That's why I tell people that with just one-time polishing pass, and then care afterward, they can make their car look better than it does from the factory!

The HACK
11-14-2003, 11:47 AM
[quote=The HACK]HACK, you're really getting me intrigued about IHG... I think I'll pick up a bottle and give it a try. I already have a pretty solid mirror finish due to polishing, but hey, there are a few scratches here and there after 2.5 years, so if IHG would make even better, I'm sold.

IHG hides a lot of minor scratches and diminishes deeper ones. It's got a good filler property so to use it as base coat under a layer of wax will really help keeping some of those swirl marks put there by dealer washes from showing prominently.

ZHPhil
11-14-2003, 01:21 PM
IHG hides a lot of minor scratches and diminishes deeper ones. It's got a good filler property so to use it as base coat under a layer of wax will really help keeping some of those swirl marks put there by dealer washes from showing prominently.
Dealer car washes suck :twisted: :rant:

RKT BMR
11-16-2003, 10:30 AM
Service advisers have a late-night talk with my buddy Guido and lose fingers if anyone touches my finish at the dealer... :shock: