PDA

View Full Version : I'm an idiot. I washed my car key.

FC
11-04-2003, 10:57 AM
:roll:

We were on our way out for dinner and I wanted to get the washer started. In a hurry, I didn't check for my key in my jeans (we took the other car) and I put threw the jeans in the wash with my keys in them. But here's the interesting (read: stupid) part...

I never closed the washer lid, so the washer washed but didn't rinse. So for after having been washed, the clothes soaked on the water for hours until we got back. Eventually the clothes went into the drier and I started hearing something rattling. At first I thought it was just the jeans' buttons, but it was way too loud. I open the door and flying out goes my BMW key.

Somehow, it still works perfectly. Pretty amazing. They really did a good job on the design.

clyde
11-04-2003, 11:28 AM
They really did a good job on the design.

Idiot proof design that doesn't get in the way of non-idiots. :lol:

ARCHER
11-04-2003, 11:40 AM
This guy I know has actually done this twice and the key still works perfectly.

lemming
11-04-2003, 11:49 AM
me too.

samurai:

the bmw keys are neat things.

The HACK
11-04-2003, 12:00 PM
Have you guys seen the 2004 keys? The icons are no longer PRINTED on the buttons but EMBOSSED and molded into the buttons on the keys. Pretty cool.

My original key is so worn compared to the new key I picked up this last week. All the icons has been rubbed away and there's a nice SHINE to the buttons themselves from constant use. I may swap back to my spare and use that instead.

FC
11-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Have you guys seen the 2004 keys? The icons are no longer PRINTED on the buttons but EMBOSSED and molded into the buttons on the keys. Pretty cool.

My original key is so worn compared to the new key I picked up this last week. All the icons has been rubbed away and there's a nice SHINE to the buttons themselves from constant use. I may swap back to my spare and use that instead.

That's what my key loosk like. I didn't know of any other kind.

glaws
11-04-2003, 12:51 PM
The good news is that the key "internals" are sealed in plastic, so should be OK in the wash. The bad news is that, if you ever lose one, the replacement is $$$$

FC
11-04-2003, 01:01 PM
The good news is that the key "internals" are sealed in plastic, so should be OK in the wash. The bad news is that, if you ever lose one, the replacement is $$$$

As a designer, I would find it ridiculous for the key NOT to be water resistant, and even slightly water proof. But the wash cycle it survived was pretty harsh and it stayed under water for long periods of time. They really did a good job. Glad to see cost-cutting has not gone that far.

Nick M3
11-04-2003, 01:08 PM

As a designer, I would find it ridiculous for the key NOT to be water resistant, and even slightly water proof. But the wash cycle it survived was pretty harsh and it stayed under water for long periods of time. They really did a good job. Glad to see cost-cutting has not gone that far.

Imagine what a headache it'd be for them if they weren't water proof.

So I guess that's engineer proof engineering, eh? :twisted:

lemming
11-04-2003, 01:33 PM

i think it's cool that they put the key into some ring-sensor and reads out things like CELs and top speed and so on.....and that the key recharges when you use it........

FC
11-04-2003, 01:36 PM

Imagine what a headache it'd be for them if they weren't water proof.

So I guess that's engineer proof engineering, eh? :twisted:

Indeed. That is why I started the thread with "I'm an idiot." :mad:

As a designer you can add all the features you want. Sometimes cost can be a factor. If it were up to me, I would make it water AND fire proof. You can never underestimate where a key could end up if manipulated by the dumbest guy in the world. My praise is for BMW for deeming that feature to be worth the expense. I suppose it just takes a nifty gasket, but still... I am happy.

Masskrug
11-04-2003, 01:39 PM
This guy I know has actually done this twice and the key still works perfectly.

Heheheheh.

"this guy I know"...

FC
11-04-2003, 01:42 PM

i think it's cool that they put the key into some ring-sensor and reads out things like CELs and top speed and so on.....and that the key recharges when you use it........

That IS pretty neat. That's probably why the key survived the wash. They are not meant to ever be opened, so they can REALLY seal them tightly. If it had a replaceable battery the seal may not have held up.

mquetel
11-04-2003, 02:46 PM

I had no idea the keys were that sophisticated... :smile:

BTW, mbr129, I damn near washed mine a couple of weeks ago. I started the washer, walked away then had a bad feeling I had forgotten something. Sure enough, it was in there, but not yet wet. :paranoid:

Masskrug
11-04-2003, 04:22 PM

Only the ZHP keys are.

mquetel
11-05-2003, 09:16 AM
:lol:

Mathew
11-05-2003, 09:34 AM

You should see the E65 key :D

:paranoid:

Roadstergal
11-05-2003, 09:52 PM
I'm currently having a dabate with another guy about that... the two issues...

-Can a bad key give you intermittant starting?
-If your key is absolutely toast, does the car not crank, or does it crank and not start?

rumatt
11-05-2003, 11:11 PM
You guys are missing the more important question here.

Why the hell is your fiancee not doing your laundry for you?

The HACK
11-06-2003, 12:47 AM

Note the word fianceé. That means no laundry but oral pleasure is still a requirement. After the wedding and the exchange of the rings, the reversal is true. :thumbdow:

See, fianceé is that weird stage where you're no longer required to satisfy every need of your S.O. since you've already got the "commitment". Sort of like an escrow period.

mquetel
11-06-2003, 01:00 AM

Note the word fianceé. That means no laundry but oral pleasure is still a requirement. After the wedding and the exchange of the rings, the reversal is true. :thumbdow:

See, fianceé is that weird stage where you're no longer required to satisfy every need of your S.O. since you've already got the "commitment". Sort of like an escrow period.

You need to stop sugarcoating things and tell us what you really think! :mrgreen:

FC
11-06-2003, 08:15 AM

HAHAHA :lol: :twisted:

Actually, I can't complain. She usually does my laundry. It was one of those times when I was out of clothes and she had done hers recently, so I had no choice.

Lucky for me my enagagement is already at 1.5 years and we don't get married until next August. :D

RKT BMR
11-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Yes, you are an idiot.

Oh, and washing the car key was pretty stupid too.

:P

FC
11-10-2003, 08:50 AM
Yes, you are an idiot.

Oh, and washing the car key was pretty stupid too.

:P

:twisted: