PDA

View Full Version : Autox car dilema. New suspension? (Nick? others?)

rumatt
05-17-2005, 09:55 PM
I've made some progress in losing my prep-car-for-autox OCD. But I could still use some opinions. Here's the current situation:

a) I want to start doing bigger events (SCCA) so I need to pick a car to use for these
b) I still suck, so I don't need a nationally competitive car. My goal is to have fun and keep improving.
c) Despite (b), I don't want to finish at the bottom solely because of the car. I'd prefer that the car is competitive enough that if I drive well, I'd be somewhere near the top. It's more about gauging progress than winning trophies.
d) I have no desire to drive on r-comps on a camber-challenged car, with a skill-challenged driver behind the wheel. I might as well just paypal money directly to Hoosier (710's dont fit my E46). Plus, if I use R-comps for big events, I'd need to start using r-comps regularly to practice. PITA and $$$.
e) The E30 is so much more fun to autox. I'd prefer to keep using it.

SO... the only problem there was (c). The E30 isn't horrible for STX the way it is, but it isn't good.. It has H&R sport springs, Bilstein shocks. 205/50/15 Falken Azenis on 7" wheels. It's camber-challenged in the front (they're wearing like a bitch on the outside edges) but it's still pretty damn fun to drive. I'm considering the following options:

1) Do nothing. Just bring the car as is, and compete in STX. I'd still learn and have fun. But it will be hard to gauge my progress if I'm down at the bottom every time. I guess I could keep tracking my time difference from the winner. :dunno:
2) Get camber plates. The idea of not using all of the front tires bugs me a bit. I can get a non-adjustable plate to give about -3 degrees for like $100.
3) Get a full GC suspension: nice stiff springs, Koni's, camber plates, and some other goodies. Cost: about $1500.
4) Buy Koni's and R-comps for the E46 and run D-stock. Cost: $1600ish, but with bigger future tire budget. Car would be reasonably competitive (I have a front bar too). But now I'm on r-comps, and the fun E30 goes to waste. Maybe I should just get over this.

I'm currently leaning toward #1 or #3. Of course, even with #3 I wouldn't be a class killer in STX. Tires are OK, but not great (205 azenis are about as wide as most 225's, but 245's are allowed). I could also do stuff like intake, seats, muffler, etc. But I really have no desire to do that stuff at this point. When I'm ready to start winning trophies, I'll drive the E46 in D-stock, or buy an RX8. :eeps:

Let's hear it. What would you do?

dan
05-17-2005, 10:02 PM
sell E30 and E46 and buy used RX-8

rumatt
05-17-2005, 10:10 PM

Not out of the question. I'd consider it seriously if I were ready to get uber-serious and focus on big SCCA events. But given how much I waffle, I promised not to sell or buy any cars until I am 100% sure it isn't a mistake.

The RX8 would make my local events (which is most of my autox'ing) less fun. The BMW events are the best area events, and being in the "everyone else" (non-bmw) class takes a lot of the fun out of it.

It also requires r-comps, but Clyde claims it's not as camber-retarded as BMW's, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm currently leaning toward using the E30 as-is for the rest of this year. If I'm still convinced this is something I want to do serously, use the winter to find a solution for 2006.

clyde
05-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Camber is not a concern in terms of r comp tire wear on the RX-8

it's still possible that I'll put mine up for sale this fall/winter...

rumatt
05-17-2005, 11:03 PM

After you win BS in Topeka, your car will be worth more than I'm willing to pay. :P

rumatt
05-17-2005, 11:05 PM

PS, my E46 is worth so little I'm avoiding the problem by keeping it.

Then again, I still have some Sun Microsystems' stock. You'd think I'd learn from my mistakes. :lol:

BahnBaum
05-17-2005, 11:06 PM

PS, my E46 is worth so little I'm avoiding the problem by keeping it.

Then again, I still have some Sun Microsystems' stock. You'd think I'd learn from my mistakes. :lol:

Trade you for my JDSU.

Alex

rumatt
05-17-2005, 11:10 PM
Trade you for my JDSU.

:shock: 140(ish) to 1.6.

Nothing like having your stock value lose two digits off the right side. Whoops. "Those two zero's weren't important, right?"

BahnBaum
05-17-2005, 11:12 PM
Trade you for my JDSU.

:shock: 140(ish) to 1.6.

Nothing like having your stock value lose two digits off the right side.

Woah there Einstein. I ain't no dummy.

I bought it at 8.

Alex

Nick M3
05-17-2005, 11:13 PM
It's all about the bling.

http://www.nrubenstein.com/images/Moton.jpg

clyde
05-17-2005, 11:20 PM

After you win BS in Topeka, your car will be worth more than I'm willing to pay. :P

It's already worth more than you're willing to pay...

however...

It will have a number of extras that you will want and it will already be setup and capable of winning on a National stage. If you're buying a car for trophies, why fuck around? :bigpimp:

Anyway...

Not that this is going to make things easier for you, but consider running the E46 in STX. It lets you exercise the mod bug, requires you to NOT use R comps, etc. I really think that Andy is going to prove that the car can compete in that class. Yours will always be a couple ticks slower than Andy's in potential, but close enough that it's only going to matter at a place like Topeka with that level of competition. OTOH, the money it can take for STX is probably more than you want to spend...but you can piggy back off of what Andy has done and not spend as much as him. :eeps:

Locally, driving skill is going to count for more than anything else. You can be competitive locally in an STX E30, but the only E30 that's worth campaigning Nationally at this point is the E30 M3. As much fun as I had in Stuka's, and how underprepped it is for STX, there is no way that I could consider buying one for STX. Sadly, the platform is pretty much toast in DSP now too. Come what may, it just can't compete with the E36 models.

Andy
05-17-2005, 11:56 PM
...consider running the E46 in STX.
:line:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that Emoticon. :)
I agree with Clyde... plus you might be even more tempted to prep your E46 for STX after the Toledo Tour. ;)

rumatt
05-18-2005, 12:07 AM
I agree with Clyde... plus you might be even more tempted to prep your E46 for STX after the Toledo Tour. ;)

Whoa. Howdy partner! Well you found this thread awfully quickly. Word spreads fast on the interwebs. :eeps:

I'm not convinced prepping an E46 for STX is very good bang-for-the-buck. The E64 LSD costs almost as much as the entire E30 (which, by the way, came with an LSD :D )

Combined with the fact that learning and having fun are higher on my list than wining Nationals, prepping the E46 is questionable at best.

rumatt
05-18-2005, 12:18 AM
Yours will always be a couple ticks slower than Andy's in potential,

Not as long as he has that big, heavy piece of glass in his roof. :twisted:

plus you might be even more tempted to prep your E46 for STX after the Toledo Tour

Yes! I'm not making any car changes until after Toledo. I suspect that coming in DFL will put the final kibosh on my desires to mod my car. :mad: :lol:

Andy
05-18-2005, 12:48 AM
Not as long as he has that big, heavy piece of glass in his roof. :twisted:

I’ll be getting an estimate this week that might very well take care of that. ;)

Yes! I'm not making any car changes until after Toledo. I suspect that coming in DFL will put the final kibosh on my desires to mod my car. :mad: :lol:
I highly doubt you’ll come in DFL in Toledo… stay on line, drive smooth, keep your runs clean, and you’ll be mid pack… at least!! Drive hard and you may end up with 2nd place… behind me of course. ;)

I'm not convinced prepping an E46 for STX is very good bang-for-the-buck. The E64 LSD costs almost as much as the entire E30 (which, by the way, came with an LSD :D )
What’s an E64 anyway. :lol:

Seriously though… Take a 330i/Ci, install a set of TC Kline DA Coilovers, camber plates, sway bars and a set of tires and you have a divisional STX winner… maybe even a trophy at the national level. I must admit though, the biggest bottle neck will be the open diff., but IMO will only play a factor at the national level.

rumatt
05-18-2005, 12:58 AM
and you’ll be mid pack… at least!!

Uh oh. Expectations are set. Must.. fix... this.. somehow... :D

Seriously though… Take a 330i/Ci, install a set of TC Kline DA Coilovers, sway bars and a set of tires and you have a divisional STX winner… maybe even a trophy at the national level..

It's funny because the same can be said about the E30 325is. It's amazing how similarly performing my two cars are. Both can run in STX and DSP and be remotely competitive.

If I have to spend $1500 to be "mostly competitive" the E30 sounds like a more fun option. Especially since the E46 would be without LSD. But you guys are actually making me think about it. :mad:

bren
05-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Obviously you just want everyone to tell you to use the e30 so stop asking and just do it :mad:

Seriously though, just drive whichever car YOU have the most fun with.

clyde
05-18-2005, 09:02 AM
If I have to spend $1500 to be "mostly competitive" the E30 sounds like a more fun option. Especially since the E46 would be without LSD. But you guys are actually making me think about it. :mad:

Alternatively, you could forget about relegatig yourself to a divisionally competitive car and buy something that is already setup well enough to win in Topeka for less than what you could sell the 330 for...and have enough left over to buy r comps for a couple years before you have to actually have to dig into your pocket. If the car you bought was an RX-8, it would be a hell of a lot more fun to drive than an E30 or E46 too.

rumatt
05-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Obviously you just want everyone to tell you to use the e30 so stop asking and just do it

Arg. Maybe. :twisted: But I wasn't expecting "E46 in STX" as a suggestion, so that threw me for a loop.

Alternatively, you could forget about relegatig yourself to a divisionally competitive car and buy something that is already setup well enough to win in Topeka for less than what you could sell the 330

Yep, that's something to think about.... but it's probably a decision I'd make at the end of this summer/year.

Pinecone
05-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Or just drive and have fun for now, and then think about what to do over the off season.

elbert
05-18-2005, 03:48 PM
plus you might be even more tempted to prep your E46 for STX after the Toledo Tour. ;)

So what's the date of this dog'n'pony show? :P

Andy
05-18-2005, 04:32 PM
plus you might be even more tempted to prep your E46 for STX after the Toledo Tour. ;)

June 10th, 11th and 12th. Wanna go up with us and watch?

PS - You never answered me about co-driving this weekend or next.

PSS - Brazenhead, this Thursday @ 5pm... be there!! :drink2:

Nick M3
05-18-2005, 04:33 PM
I keep tryign to decide whether I want to go, or not. :p

Andy
05-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Dood, You should come!! :thumbup: M3 in AS or ASP?

JST
05-18-2005, 04:47 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nick's car hasn't been "stock" in quite some time.

BahnBaum
05-18-2005, 05:07 PM

I believe Nick's M3 is classed in ASZ.

Alex

Nick M3
05-18-2005, 05:29 PM

Hey Andy, you should look at the ginormous hint I posted up above. ;)

elbert
05-18-2005, 05:33 PM
June 10th, 11th and 12th. Wanna go up with us and watch?

PS - You never answered me about co-driving this weekend or next.
PSS - Brazenhead, this Thursday @ 5pm... be there!! :drink2:

http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/nahrung/f015.gif See ya thursday!

There's something going on this weekend?

I'll have to let you know about next weekend and toledo. I'm trying to get a hold of that bozo in charge of the northern ohio chapter about midohio. If I don't hear back from him by tomorrow, I'll co-drive. I was planning go out of town on 6/10 but I have a feeling that will fall through.

JST
05-18-2005, 05:49 PM

Alex

Actually, it's in A$$$P.

Andy
05-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Yes, I saw that... and quite nice I might add.. but also legal in stock. ;)

So are you coming to Toledo to drive or watch? Either way, be there!! :thumbup:

BahnBaum
05-18-2005, 06:20 PM

Alex

Actually, it's in A$$$P.

Dammit. That's what I was looking for. Just couldn't quite figure it out.

Alex

clyde
05-18-2005, 07:14 PM

you mean the one that fucks up the whole page?

rumatt
05-18-2005, 08:42 PM
you mean the one that fucks up the whole page?

Finally, we're on to the second page so it's gone.

clyde
05-18-2005, 10:15 PM
yeah, that would be the one

Nick M3
05-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Yes, I saw that... and quite nice I might add.. but also legal in stock. ;)

So are you coming to Toledo to drive or watch? Either way, be there!! :thumbup:

Those shocks aren't even close to stock legal.

Doug
05-19-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm a proponent of fixing the driver, not the car. When you have a couple years of competition under your belt and are driving the car to its potentian then think about changing something. A less than perfect driver in a fast car will still be slow

rumatt
05-21-2005, 07:02 PM
OK, it's official. I will NOT mod any cars this year. Absolutely no changes.

However, by next year, I will most certainly loose all will power and want a prepped car. Thus over the winter I will likely do one of the following:

a) prep the E30
b) prep the E46
c) sell both and buy something else

The choice could be heavily dependent on what is on the market, like possibly a prepped RX8, or a bunch of E46 suspension components from a certain STX 330i. :eeps:

Interestingly, my wife has all but forbidden me to sell the 330. She says it would be stupid and would rather see me sell the E30 and use that money to prep the E46 for STX. :yikes:

Plenty of time for a decision. But be prepared for lots of waffling this fall.

clyde
05-21-2005, 07:11 PM
Interestingly, my wife has all but forbidden me to sell the 330. She says it would be stupid and would rather see me sell the E30 and use that money to prep the E46 for STX. :yikes

Yes, very interesting. Last night on my date, my wife asked me if I wanted to sell the RX-8 this fall/winter and get a Corvette. :shock: :eeps: :banana:

But we didn't talk about C5 or C6 (or even C4 :yikes: ) or Z06 or Z51 or what...

rumatt
05-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Yes, very interesting. Last night on my date, my wife ...

You really need to stop bringing your wife when you go on dates.

dan
05-21-2005, 07:35 PM
my wife has all but forbidden me to sell the 330

:action:

clyde
05-21-2005, 07:42 PM
my wife has all but forbidden me to sell the 330

:action:

Does your wife even own a pair of pants? :dunno:

rumatt
05-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Does your wife even own a pair of pants? :dunno:

Only latex. Why? :?

bren
05-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Yes, very interesting. Last night on my date, my wife asked me if I wanted to sell the RX-8 this fall/winter and get a Corvette. :shock: :eeps: :banana:

But we didn't talk about C5 or C6 (or even C4 :yikes: ) or Z06 or Z51 or what...
:yikes: Need a co-driver? :wink2: :drool: