PDA

View Full Version : autoweek drives the M6.

lemming
05-16-2005, 09:25 PM
this is their conclusion:

"The M6 is not a Porsche/Ferrari alternative, so you can’t look at it as a sports car. It’s a grand tourer, a Mercedes AMG CL55/ Aston Martin DB9 alternative. Which isn’t a bad thing."

but they take great pains to say how much more dynamic and faster it is than the m5.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102372

8 minutes flat is really fast, though.

FC
05-16-2005, 10:18 PM
A Z51 C6 is also very fast but you said yourself it sucks out loud.

If it is getting a good time just because it devours straights, that is one thing. I rather have a "slower" car with sublime handling, like an Elise. All speculation, of course, as I have driven neither. :eeps:

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the M6 is still hideous to me.

lemming
05-16-2005, 11:21 PM
there was a tech article about a turbo elise in there, too.

but i like the fact that they build the m5 and the m6, but it's hard for me to take those cars seriously. they're so damn big and heavy. it's not fun anymore hauling that much weight around.

nate
05-16-2005, 11:37 PM
The M6 looks great.

Jason C
05-17-2005, 02:15 AM
The opening segment about "My M6 pwns j00r M5" made me :vomit: a third of the way into it.

He couldn't have buchered an article opening more if he had tried. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TD
05-17-2005, 06:31 AM
The M6 looks great.

:loco:

John V
05-17-2005, 08:10 AM
The M6 looks great.

:bigpimp: :thumbup:

I'd rather have the Corvette.

Nick M3
05-17-2005, 09:13 AM
The M6 looks great.

I'd take one.

Too bad I can't afford it. :(

blee
05-17-2005, 09:38 AM
I'd take a C6 over an M6.

TD
05-17-2005, 09:39 AM
The M6 looks great.

I was behind a 6.0L GTO for about 20 minutes of my commute this morning. I have to say, from behind, it is a very attractive car. I'd be lying if I said I didn't still have issues with the Pontiac badge, but...

I think I finally might be motivated enough to take a test drive.

JST
05-17-2005, 09:53 AM
The M6 looks great.

I was behind a 6.0L GTO for about 20 minutes of my commute this morning. I have to say, from behind, it is a very attractive car. I'd be lying if I said I didn't still have issues with the Pontiac badge, but...

TD, are you going to be at the autox Sat., or did you end up having a conflict?

lemming
05-17-2005, 07:10 PM
i just think that it's cool that for the US market, we're getting the 6 speed manual gearbox for the m5 (maybe not for the m6).

that's a great concession (finally) to us.

TD: i dunno if you are aware of this, but they charge an extra $700 on the GTO for the 6 speed manual.

TD
05-17-2005, 08:23 PM
The M6 looks great.

TD, are you going to be at the autox Sat., or did you end up having a conflict?

After seeing the map of the course, I am really pissed I won't be able to go. I have been anticipating getting back out there for the past few months and I am frustrated at the idea of waiting another month.

But, no, I won't be there.

JST
05-17-2005, 08:42 PM
i just think that it's cool that for the US market, we're getting the 6 speed manual gearbox for the m5 (maybe not for the m6).

that's a great concession (finally) to us.

TD: i dunno if you are aware of this, but they charge an extra $700 on the GTO for the 6 speed manual.

In 04, at least, the auto had to pay guzzler tax, while the manual didn't, so you actually ended up saving $300. Not sure if that is still the case with the 6.0.

Theo
05-17-2005, 11:19 PM
The M6 looks great.

I'd take one.

I would assume not much of a jump after the price of your M3 plus ALL the mods you have put in. :eeps:

lip277
05-18-2005, 01:17 AM
The M6 looks great.

I'd take one.

Even if I could...
I wouldn't.

Damn ugly.

Nick M3
05-18-2005, 01:56 PM
The M6 looks great.

I'd take one.

I would assume not much of a jump after the price of your M3 plus ALL the mods you have put in. :eeps:

Going forward, I can't afford it. When I bought the M3 I had absolutely no idea that I'd lose my fucking mind. Now, I need a truck, and I'm building a track car that will (hopefully) become a race car.

Nick M3
05-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Tom, why aren't you going?

lemming
05-18-2005, 10:11 PM
i have to believe at some level that BMW really does believe that their single piston brakes do work well and weigh less than their multipiston counterparts, but for every DE that i've ever been to and every single serious person that i've spoken to (poseurs need not apply) the first thing they do is modify bits and pieces of the brake system.

frankly, it's getting a little pathetic when pushrod chevy's come with better OEM brakes than M cars.

FC
05-18-2005, 10:31 PM
frankly, it's getting a little pathetic when pushrod chevy's come with better OEM brakes than M cars.

It's not just that it is inadequate given the "M-ness" of the car (that is for BMW marketing to sort out), it is a pure $$ issue. There is a 44K Boxster with cross-drilled 4-piston brakes all around and a 32K STi with Brembo brakes.

I think for close that kind of money, Mercedes offers 6-piston calipers.

lemming
05-18-2005, 10:38 PM

It's not just that it is inadequate given the "M-ness" of the car (that is for BMW marketing to sort out), it is a pure $$ issue. There is a 44K Boxster with cross-drilled 4-piston brakes all around and a 32K STi with Brembo brakes.

I think for close that kind of money, Mercedes offers 6-piston calipers.

i'm getting a little frustrated with BMW's germanic approach to the US market. you know, if you're going to start pinching pennies, go the GM route like the GTO. make the automatic (aha! warranties costs are cheaper!) standard and charge for the manual. charge for the better brakes, but give us the goddamned option.

and as for the M6 having a carbon fibre roof and that saving weight and "lowering the center of gravity as compared to the M5"? holy laughable, batman.

anyone care to guess how much CF and fibreglass is on the sub $70k c6 z06 with a handbuilt engine and 6 piston front/4piston rears not to mention the aluminum hydroformed frame?

please, BMW, give us all a break. your technology is wasted because it's like Honda and "look at me" versus ferrari's "look how great it works" approach.