PDA

View Full Version : Roundel: no explanation for why e65 sales have tanked.

lemming
05-15-2005, 12:11 AM
:lol:

it was supposed to be an article about the new short wheelbase 760i and how "wonderful" it is that a 4800 pound can turn, stop, and go straight.

the article itself highlights that for MY2004, the 7 series was down 20% in the US while the A8 was up 50% and the aged S class was up 3.3%.

the 7 series sucks and more than carmudgeons think so.

Jason C
05-15-2005, 01:05 AM
the article itself highlights that for MY2004, the 7 series was down 20% in the US while the A8 was up 50%

You think the Audi is luring former BMW owners? :speechle:

lemming
05-15-2005, 08:24 AM
i think a lot of other vehicles are luring 7 series owners. the X5 4.8 could do the trick even.

it's still my opinion that BMW is supremely stupid in their marketing of the car. yeah, we can all appreciate that they can make a 4500-4800 pound car somewhat agile --relatively to its peers-- but who the hell buys a 7 series class car for driving fun? are you joking? most people in this demographic have a third, fourth and fifth car. so all of that is lost on the people who would buy this car. instead, the things that are important to people in this class, such as perceived status and projected image are all wrong with the 7 series.

avant garde is fine for Liberace and extreme extroverts, but it's still my opinion that most moneyed people reach a point where they prefer not to be in your face about it. the e65 is a little too nouveau. let's be honest. it is. it makes a strong statement (like the z4) that turns off a lot of people who would rather not be that bold.

John V
05-16-2005, 07:15 AM
the e65 is a little too nouveau. let's be honest. it is. it makes a strong statement (like the z4) that turns off a lot of people who would rather not be that bold.

Maybe people are going through a phase where they only like driving good looking cars? :dunno:

TD
05-16-2005, 02:22 PM
the e65 is a little too nouveau. let's be honest. it is. it makes a strong statement (like the z4) that turns off a lot of people who would rather not be that bold.

Maybe people are going through a phase where they only like driving good looking cars? :dunno:

Actually, that's not it.

Ugly ostentatious crap is selling really well as it's all about the bling.

It's just that as you get into the range of people who can afford a $70K+ car, fewer and fewer of your potential buyers are into bling. There's only so many hip hop stars, star athletes, drug dealers, and lottery winners out there.

Wealthy people for whom wealth is not a novelty generally prefer a less conspicuous display.

Which is all to say, I agree with lemming's take on the situation.

John V
05-16-2005, 02:56 PM

Actually, that's not it.

Sorry, I was trying to work a "Family Guy" quote into the conversation. ;)

TD
05-16-2005, 02:59 PM

Actually, that's not it.

Sorry, I was trying to work a "Family Guy" quote into the conversation. ;)

Ahhhh...

Sorry.