PDA

View Full Version : Did somebody say they were interested in a GMW?

Jason C
05-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Here's your chance!

http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/classifieds/cars/detview.php?view=30843&sortby=&dir=

JST
05-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Here's your chance!

Oh shit.

Don't tell blee.

Jason C
05-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Here's your chance!

Oh shit.

Don't tell blee.

That's the second thing I thought about, actually. :speechle:

(But if the car came without an engine/blown engine/otherwise crapped up, I wouldn't hesitate to explore avaliable options)

blee
05-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Don't tell who? :rant:

I wonder why this person went with the V6 transmission instead of the full-blown LS6 drivetrain? Packaging issues? If so, I would be concerned about the tranny's durability, although it's probably stout enough for moderate use.

As for the rest of the package, I am not amused. Even if the S14 were busted, the car was special enough to have put another S14 in there. The M3 chassis was slightly different, but not different enough to make the case that it was absolutely necessary here. With a little work, I bet anyone could make a regular E30 handle as well as a stock M3 for a low price.

Its only saving grace? It's got an LS6.

Nick M3
05-11-2005, 02:18 PM

I wonder why this person went with the V6 transmission instead of the full-blown LS6 drivetrain? Packaging issues? If so, I would be concerned about the tranny's durability, although it's probably stout enough for moderate use.

As for the rest of the package, I am not amused. Even if the S14 were busted, the car was special enough to have put another S14 in there. The M3 chassis was slightly different, but not different enough to make the case that it was absolutely necessary here. With a little work, I bet anyone could make a regular E30 handle as well as a stock M3 for a low price.

Yeah...

But the cost of putting a wide-body kit on a regular E30 is pretty substantial.

JST
05-11-2005, 02:22 PM

I think he means Camaro 6 speed, not Camaro V6. Don't think the V6s ever had 6 gears, did they?

blee
05-11-2005, 02:33 PM

I think he means Camaro 6 speed, not Camaro V6. Don't think the V6s ever had 6 gears, did they?

Ah, true. Good catch.

blee
05-11-2005, 02:33 PM

Yeah...

But the cost of putting a wide-body kit on a regular E30 is pretty substantial.

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Nick M3
05-11-2005, 02:36 PM
See, you'd have killed me, slowly, probably, if I'd bought your M3 and turned it into a D Mod car. :p

John V
05-11-2005, 03:10 PM

:? It's only a car.

blee
05-11-2005, 05:11 PM

:rant:

Jason C
05-11-2005, 05:15 PM

And if you had listened to JST, you'd know that it's more than a car.

(It's a curved dash Olds) :dunno: :tongue:

John V
05-12-2005, 06:55 AM

I remember an article that appeared in Roundel shortly after I joined the club. A member had purchased an E30 M3 and dropped an S50 or S52 into it. I thought to myself... man, what a great idea. The unique style of an E30 M3 with more power.

WOW. I was not prepared for the hate-mail storm that came in. I loved it! :)

blee
05-12-2005, 07:47 AM
E30 S52 conversions are awesome when they're done to normal E30s. I have a big problem with people who do this to M3s because of their increasing rarity, while the stock of E30s is generally quite strong nationwide.

If you had a '67 Corvette with a factory 427, would you pitch it to put in an LS6? Or, if you came across a 355 at a good price, would you take out the engine in favor of an LS6? More importantly, if you had a curved dash Olds, would you want to take out the hamster wheel and put in an LS6? Okay, okay, make it an Iron Duke out of respect for the marque.

Sure, it's just a car. So are all of the less exclusive E30s out there. Put the LS6 in one of those. If you must destroy some 60's heritage, put it in a Sting Ray with a 327 slushbox. If you've just gotta have a Ferrari body without a Ferrari powerplant, try a Fiero bodykit; that way, people will know you're crazy from a distance. And if you really want to take a curved dash Olds to a dragstrip, then please just include me in your will.

Engine swaps = cool. Gratuitous engine swaps with cars that deserve better = :flame:

clyde
05-12-2005, 08:41 AM
If you must destroy some 60's heritage, put it in a Sting Ray with a 327 slushbox.

It wasn't acceptable to replace an engine in a Corvette with anything other than the originally installed engine until just a few years ago...and it's still just as frowned upon by the Corvette community as the the E30M3/S52 combo is by the E30M3 community. For the Vette, the proper thing to do is put in a new 327, age it and remachine the engine number stamping so that it still appears to be the original engine. :eeps: Anything else is damaged goods.

John V
05-12-2005, 09:00 AM
E30 S52 conversions are awesome when they're done to normal E30s. I have a big problem with people who do this to M3s because of their increasing rarity, while the stock of E30s is generally quite strong nationwide.

If you had a '67 Corvette with a factory 427, would you pitch it to put in an LS6? Or, if you came across a 355 at a good price, would you take out the engine in favor of an LS6? More importantly, if you had a curved dash Olds, would you want to take out the hamster wheel and put in an LS6? Okay, okay, make it an Iron Duke out of respect for the marque.

Sure, it's just a car. So are all of the less exclusive E30s out there. Put the LS6 in one of those. If you must destroy some 60's heritage, put it in a Sting Ray with a 327 slushbox. If you've just gotta have a Ferrari body without a Ferrari powerplant, try a Fiero bodykit; that way, people will know you're crazy from a distance. And if you really want to take a curved dash Olds to a dragstrip, then please just include me in your will.

Engine swaps = cool. Gratuitous engine swaps with cars that deserve better = :flame:

427 Corvettes (L88s in particular) are extremely rare (as in fewer than 500 built) and valuable vehicles. The E30 M3 is not. Plus, it wouldn't be nearly as tough to make a 427 lookalike out of a 327 car. It is VERY tough to make an M3 replica out of an E30.

It's all perspective. To an E30 M3 afficionado, the cars are treasures to be modified only under penalty of death. To the rest of us, they're just another light car with beautiful bodywork in search of more power and reliability.

blee
05-12-2005, 09:00 AM
If you must destroy some 60's heritage, put it in a Sting Ray with a 327 slushbox.

It wasn't acceptable to replace an engine in a Corvette with anything other than the originally installed engine until just a few years ago...and it's still just as frowned upon by the Corvette community as the the E30M3/S52 combo is by the E30M3 community. For the Vette, the proper thing to do is put in a new 327, age it and remachine the engine number stamping so that it still appears to be the original engine. :eeps: Anything else is damaged goods.

Well, I wouldn't put anything in a midyear Vette except for the engine that came with it, or an engine of similar vintage. And I would feel pretty dumb about remachining the stampings, in the name of honesty. But that's what I'm talking about. Some cars are too unique for transplants.

blee
05-12-2005, 09:28 AM
427 Corvettes (L88s in particular) are extremely rare (as in fewer than 500 built) and valuable vehicles. The E30 M3 is not. Plus, it wouldn't be nearly as tough to make a 427 lookalike out of a 327 car. It is VERY tough to make an M3 replica out of an E30.

It's all perspective. To an E30 M3 afficionado, the cars are treasures to be modified only under penalty of death. To the rest of us, they're just another light car with beautiful bodywork in search of more power and reliability.

Eh. When I discovered what I was facing with mine, I strongly considered doing a 2.5L conversion. I decided against it for cost and originality reasons, but I don't begrudge the ones who do it. Likewise for the various Evo-style spoilers and lips available for the car, alpha-N metering, etc. I'm fine with all of those. My issue is with replacing the S14 entirely, as I believe it really just turns the car from special to boring. What's so cool about an E30 M3 with a new engine, as opposed to a regular E30?

As for the most difficult issue, that of bodywork:

http://www.apexengineering.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/48/products_id/122
http://www.myriadracing.com/widebodyconversion.htm
http://www.fiberartz.com/wfaE30.html

It would be tough to find anything for the C-pillar fiberglass, but that's about it. The fender flares -- the only part that most people seem to notice -- are available.