PDA

View Full Version : tezt drove the New Infiniti M35 AWD & Honda Accord V6

Alan
05-11-2005, 10:29 AM
I test drove the Infiniti M35 AWD and was really impressed with it.

The Interior is so comfortable. The seats are comfoy as well as cooled and heated. The Armrest is perfect plus the console armrest moves forward if that is what you want. The gear shifter sits beuaitfully in youre hand and is wrapped in a really nice leather.
The car feels very fast and the power is right there with no DBW lag, it is immediate power at the touch of your foot. The handling and suspension felt really planted ... I don't know if I am describing this well enough but the suspension took bumps very tightly but not jarring.

From what I understand the car takes off with all 4 wheels until it hits 18mph,m then it becomes rwd unless it detects slippage.

I will tell you that afterwards I jumped into my Audi Allroad and the Audi has a better steering feel when turning off center, in other woreds the audi turn in response is slightly better.

The price was around $46 to $47k, they were willing to give $1000 off MSRP. Since I am still not sure if I just want to get a New A6 or go for an infiniti, I am gonna give it a little time.

With that said, I also drove an Accord EX V6 and was really impressed with it as well. For a lot less money, you get a car that's 95% of the more expense ones.
One other thing, the G35's are cheap as h*ll ... you can get a G35 AWD for aorund $32k ... what a bargain !!

Alan
05-12-2005, 10:31 AM
:dunno:

Doug
05-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Nice writeup. I just don't think most of us are interested in Asian imports.
Mazdas do seem popular though in that vein

John V
05-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Sorry. The M45 is way too big for me to be interested in (nice looking car, though) and can't be had with a stick. The Accord sedan V6.. same deal. :(

JV

Plaz
05-12-2005, 01:01 PM
The FWD factor is what would keep me from ever considering an Accord.

The stick factor (as well as the $$) would keep me out of an M45, if I was in the market for a big cruiser.

The A6 I'd buy in a heartbeat if I had the money and need for a cruiser... I think the redesign is gorgeous.

I'd take a four-door M3 over all of 'em, though. :eeps:

ff
05-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Ditto here. FWD or no stick...no deal.

Rob
05-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Who needs awd?

I drove a Civic the other day for the first time in several years. It made me feel fortunate to be able to afford nice cars. Road noise, wind noise, engine noise - nice car for what it is, but it's not the same caliber of the cars we discuss. I wonder if I would think the same thing about the Accord.

Auto only means no interest for me.

Alan
05-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Cool I got some responses :thumbup:

I agree with a manual being important to have and I always want to have at least one car with a manual but I like to have what I call my lazy car which is when I am so tired that when I get in the car in the morning I just want an automatic especially on Mondays or sometimes on the weekends with the kids it's nice to just go in larger more comfortable car.

The new A6 is a real beauty but what kills me with that car is the 3.2 (smaller engine) is not quite as fast as my Allroad 2.7t and the A6 4.2 is a good amouint more $$ for not much more car plus the dealers have very low stock of 8 cylinders around so they are hard to find.

The M45 just beat out the 545i in a recent comparo but if only counting the overall performance factor, the bimmer took a slight edge but also for a lot more money.

lemming
05-12-2005, 07:45 PM
i am in love with the new M45.

but i'm with the posse on this one.

it's much larger than what i would have fun driving and it's an automatic only. the only automatics i'd be interested in are the ones that are so freaking fast that you'd not really notice because you're hanging on for dear life.

the only cars like that are in the category of the SL600 or the SLR.

:)

SARAFIL
05-12-2005, 09:47 PM

it's much larger than what i would have fun driving and it's an automatic only. the only automatics i'd be interested in are the ones that are so freaking fast that you'd not really notice because you're hanging on for dear life.

I've got a good relationship with the GM of our Infiniti store, so he regularly lets me drive his cars. I've got to admit, that M45 Sport is a great car. Lots of power, good steering feel, respectable handling, nice build quality and design (except for a wierd looking dash-- people say the E60 looks wierd?!). Plus, the technology is amazing-- great Bluetooth system, amazing navigation system, lane departure warning, keyless ignition, ass cam (rear view camera), etc. Some call it over-kill, but I like it.

Would I buy one over a BMW. Hmmm....

Let me just say that it's the Infiniti that I'd be most likely to buy, if I ever wanted to buy one. It's a great competitor in that class-- unlike the G35, which is a good car but not a knock-out.

FC
05-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Who needs awd?

I drove a Civic the other day for the first time in several years. It made me feel fortunate to be able to afford nice cars. Road noise, wind noise, engine noise - nice car for what it is, but it's not the same caliber of the cars we discuss. I wonder if I would think the same thing about the Accord.

Auto only means no interest for me.

I drove my father-in-law's Civic a few weeks back and I felt the same way. Great appliance I guess, but man would miss my car if I had to drive a civic for a long time.

lemming
05-12-2005, 09:59 PM

I've got a good relationship with the GM of our Infiniti store, so he regularly lets me drive his cars. I've got to admit, that M45 Sport is a great car. Lots of power, good steering feel, respectable handling, nice build quality and design (except for a wierd looking dash-- people say the E60 looks wierd?!). Plus, the technology is amazing-- great Bluetooth system, amazing navigation system, lane departure warning, keyless ignition, ass cam (rear view camera), etc. Some call it over-kill, but I like it.

Let me just say that it's the Infiniti that I'd be most likely to buy, if I ever wanted to buy one. It's a great competitor in that class-- unlike the G35, which is a good car but not a knock-out.

'fil: agree. the M45 is much more class-competitive than the G35 is.

but i'd still have to get the g35 6speed over the 330i 6speed if i were buying today or tomorrow. the added room, the much added power, the added standard content plus the 10k lower price are things i couldn't ignore.

good thing i'm not buying tomorrow.

SARAFIL
05-12-2005, 10:41 PM
(duplicate-- sorry)

SARAFIL
05-12-2005, 10:41 PM

'fil: agree. the M45 is much more class-competitive than the G35 is.

but i'd still have to get the g35 6speed over the 330i 6speed if i were buying today or tomorrow. the added room, the much added power, the added standard content plus the 10k lower price are things i couldn't ignore.

good thing i'm not buying tomorrow.

The styling of the G35 is plain to me, and even the updated-for-2005 interior looks dismal. Plus, we've taken so many of them in trade in the past few years that I've already programmed myself into thinking that I wouldn't like it. It's one of those cars that people drive for 6 months and then are dying to get out of. I don't think we've taken one in trade that was more than a year old-- everyone that wants to get out wants to do it quite early on.

But, on paper, a RWD sport sedan in the mid-$30s with nearly 300hp and a 6 speed sounds like one amazing car. I guess you can put up with some of the short-falls to get such a deal. But, I still don't have enough excitement about it to ever consider one.

It would help if I could drive one, though. Doubt it'll happen any time soon-- I think we're currently 100% G35x as far as inventory goes. Maybe I'll drive a coupe again.

lemming
05-12-2005, 10:48 PM
inventory locally is 100% 5 speed automatics at the moment for the g35 sedans.

i don't think that the 05 6MT G35 sedans have been released yet. the engine is probably constrained since it is a good bit different from the "base" 260hp variant.

the vq35 has plenty of grunt in the fx and i enjoyed driving the g35 coupe; i just don't like coupes all that much.

i'm really fascinated with the m45. not the m35 so much, but even the m35 eats the 530 and 525 alive. i see a lot of the e60 525s on the roads around boston. everytime i see one, my first thought is, "$45,000" and my second thought is "dumbass". at least when i see a 545, i think "C O O L".

SARAFIL
05-12-2005, 11:02 PM

i don't think that the 05 6MT G35 sedans have been released yet. the engine is probably constrained since it is a good bit different from the "base" 260hp variant.

the vq35 has plenty of grunt in the fx and i enjoyed driving the g35 coupe; i just don't like coupes all that much.

i'm really fascinated with the m45. not the m35 so much, but even the m35 eats the 530 and 525 alive. i see a lot of the e60 525s on the roads around boston. everytime i see one, my first thought is, "$45,000" and my second thought is "dumbass". at least when i see a 545, i think "C O O L".

I don't understand Infiniti's model year releases. It seems like they are always very delayed. No 2005s, and the competition already has 2006 models out. :?

JetBlack330i
05-12-2005, 11:28 PM
I don't understand Infiniti's model year releases. It seems like they are always very delayed. No 2005s, and the competition already has 2006 models out. :? :?
We are in 2005. What are they selling? 2004s?

Jason C
05-13-2005, 02:17 AM
i see a lot of the e60 525s on the roads around boston. everytime i see one, my first thought is, "$45,000" and my second thought is "dumbass".

:lol:

Alan
05-13-2005, 08:11 AM
i see a lot of the e60 525s on the roads around boston. everytime i see one, my first thought is, "$45,000" and my second thought is "dumbass".

Why ? Seriously I remember when I had a E39 525 loaner car for 5 days and I loved it. It wasn't the fastest car but it felt faster then the 323i they had given me previously as a loaner and it had good enough power to feel quick plus everything else about it was pure 5 series.

The new E60 especially for 2006 with the new 3.0 liter engine I bet will be the 5er's best seller especially since the price of the 530 and 545's are on the high side. With the 0-60 being in the mid 7 range it is pretty good for a sporty luxury sedan.

FC
05-13-2005, 08:17 AM
Why ? Seriously I remember when I had a E39 525 loaner car for 5 days and I loved it. It wasn't the fastest car but it felt faster then the 323i they had given me previously as a loaner and it had good enough power to feel quick plus everything else about it was pure 5 series.

The new E60 especially for 2006 with the new 3.0 liter engine I bet will be the 5er's best seller especially since the price of the 530 and 545's are on the high side. With the 0-60 being in the mid 7 range it is pretty good for a sporty luxury sedan.

I don't think the 525 is a bad car. In fact, objectively, it is probably a very ncie car. It is just insanely expensive for what you get, IMO.

But to each their own.

Alan
05-13-2005, 08:17 AM
It's one of those cars that people drive for 6 months and then are dying to get out of. I don't think we've taken one in trade that was more than a year old-- everyone that wants to get out wants to do it quite early on.

My brother just got an 05 G35x which he traded in a A4 3.0 quattro. I drove it last week and was extrememly impressed with it, the power is incredible but the thing that surprised me most was the steering feel ... it was tight and very responsive.

I think it takes time to get used to the feel once you've had a 3 series or A4 since the german cars have something that just makes them feel good.

I am surprised that so many people trade them in so quickly ... I wonder why

JST
05-13-2005, 10:14 AM

Yeah, the 05 6MT G35 has been out for a while. I drove one back in Feb., IIRC, shortly before I bought the ZHP.

Alan
05-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Yeah, the 05 6MT G35 has been out for a while. I drove one back in Feb., IIRC, shortly before I bought the ZHP.

You don't have the M3 anymore ? What made you change to the ZHP ?

JST
05-13-2005, 10:30 AM

You don't have the M3 anymore ? What made you change to the ZHP ?

Short answer is that the lease was up. The longer answer is that, all things considered, the ZHP is a better all around car than the M3. It's got more headroom, more trunk room, more rear seat room and easier access, and is phenomonally cheaper (the smoking deals offered to clear out 05 E46s helped), yet it handles nearly as well and is reasonably quick around town.

Of course, it's missing 98 hp.

But I'll get used to that.

Won't I?

:eeps:

Rob
05-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Of course, it's missing 98 hp.

But I'll get used to that.

Won't I?

:eeps:

No.

lemming
05-14-2005, 09:46 AM
as far as i know and can tell, there are no 298hp 6speed G35 sedans, so maybe these have been labeled as 2006s?

they have plenty of the coupes and those are fun (for limited amounts of time).

i'm sure plenty of people like their 525s, but it still seems like a huge misnomer in the family of ultimate driving machines.

JST
05-14-2005, 12:52 PM
as far as i know and can tell, there are no 298hp 6speed G35 sedans, so maybe these have been labeled as 2006s?

they have plenty of the coupes and those are fun (for limited amounts of time).

i'm sure plenty of people like their 525s, but it still seems like a huge misnomer in the family of ultimate driving machines.

I don't think so--I'm fairly certain that the car I drove was an 05. I *know* that it was a different/revised version over the 04, because I drove one of those the week before (and one of the small but big changes between the two cars was the addition of a telescoping wheel).

The engine in the second car I drove felt stronger than the first one, but it also felt higher strung; less of a torque-biased engine, more of a redline lover.

lemming
05-14-2005, 07:39 PM
i wish that i knew what was going on.

all i know is that the dealer that i've used previously is pretty reliable --but they insist it will be about a month before i can even 'buy' a 6 speed 298hp G35 sedan variant. i have no idea why that might be.

sold out for the year?

mid-run production issues?

the coupes have the "old" 260hp engine or 280hp engine.

JST
05-15-2005, 09:47 AM
i wish that i knew what was going on.

all i know is that the dealer that i've used previously is pretty reliable --but they insist it will be about a month before i can even 'buy' a 6 speed 298hp G35 sedan variant. i have no idea why that might be.

sold out for the year?

mid-run production issues?

the coupes have the "old" 260hp engine or 280hp engine.

Here's one at the local dealer--it's an 05 6 speed, though I don't know whether it has the 298 hp engine.

http://www.passportinfiniti.com/servlets/webSearch?vehicleid=46525691&invdid=23516&url=www. passportinfiniti.com

lemming
05-15-2005, 10:27 AM
'doubt there is much spec difference between any of the g35's in real terms. the only advantage is the 6 speed box with the mechanical LSD these days.

it sounds terrible, but i'm bored again, so i'm hoping the sedan is underwhelming to me.

i had a nanosecond where i thought the hybrid accord sounded cool. but then i hit myself with a big wooden paddle.

Jason C
05-15-2005, 01:56 PM
i had a nanosecond where i thought the hybrid accord sounded cool. but then i hit myself with a big wooden paddle.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/n98.gif :lol:

rumatt
05-15-2005, 02:31 PM

:lol: