PDA

View Full Version : Speeding in residential areas?

ff
05-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Inspired by the speed bump thread. I'm curious if we'll see an obvious correlation between people that maintain a safe speed (less than or equal to speed limit) while driving through residential areas, and having kids. I think that a person who has kids, is more likely to be observant of their speed.

Be honest.

dan
05-10-2005, 09:44 PM
I have a child and am observant of my excess speed

ff
05-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Well dang it, I tried re-adding the last poll option, but I can't even edit the poll. The last option is supposed to be "I don't have kid(s) and I speed". Can an admin add this?

TD
05-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Well dang it, I tried re-adding the last poll option, but I can't even edit the poll. The last option is supposed to be "I don't have kid(s) and I speed". Can an admin add this?

Done.

ff
05-10-2005, 09:51 PM

Done.

Thank you

Roadstergal
05-10-2005, 09:57 PM
I think I keep my speed down better than those who do have kids. I think once the tykes are in the car/van/SUV, the parents cease to give a crap. Near where I used to live in south Bellevue, there was a brief stretch of 25 that went past a nursing home, a school, and a church. I always kept it to 25, and that was the exception. There was one big yellow hummer that never went through slower than ~50.

BahnBaum
05-10-2005, 10:07 PM
I think I keep my speed down better than those who do have kids. I think once the tykes are in the car/van/SUV, the parents cease to give a crap. Near where I used to live in south Bellevue, there was a brief stretch of 25 that went past a nursing home, a school, and a church. I always kept it to 25, and that was the exception. There was one big yellow hummer that never went through slower than ~50.

And I see idiots on motorcycles all the time. Neither SUVs or motorcycles have a monopoly on assholes who drive them.

I don't really know how I drive in comparison to others. What I do know is that I am ultra cautious in neighborhoods and residential areas.

Alex

blee
05-10-2005, 10:30 PM
There's a house at the end of our row occupied by a bunch of 20-something renters. In general, they're the biggest asshole/shitface residents I've ever met. Not only do they speed excessively (we're talking over 40), I've seen them back all the way from their parking spot, across the street, into the opposing court, then shift to D and peel out of the neighborhood. I'm just waiting to find out who or what they kill before they stop.

Plaz
05-10-2005, 10:50 PM
While I believe myself to be cautious and observant of my speed, I generally do about 5 over in the residential areas in my neighborhood, so I was forced to vote the second option to be in strict compliance with your stated conditions.

operknockity
05-10-2005, 11:54 PM
While I believe myself to be cautious and observant of my speed, I generally do about 5 over in the residential areas in my neighborhood, so I was forced to vote the second option to be in strict compliance with your stated conditions.
Ditto, but without the kids.

Doug
05-11-2005, 12:19 AM
no kids and I stick to the speed limit or lower in residential areas

rumatt
05-11-2005, 02:53 AM
Don't know how to vote. "Observant/cautious with speed" doesn't mean I never go above the speed limit.

All I'm sure of is that I don't have have kids. :)

ZBB
05-11-2005, 03:30 AM
For the most part yes... occasionally 3-5 mph over the limit.

In my neighborhood, the speed limit is 20mph... I usually go ~25. So technically speeding, but very aware of the kids and grandparents (we have a heavy concentration of retirees in my neighborhood -- this is AZ...)

FC
05-11-2005, 07:59 AM
I just go as fast as it is safe and prudent to do so. My neighborhood is a 20mph zone. I will go as fast as 30mph when there is nobody out. The streets are wide and properties have 30+ feet of lawn before the house starts, so even if Micheal Johnson came out from behind a house at a full sprint, I will would easily be able to see him and stop whith plenty of margin left.

If I see kids, who are out often, I'll slow down to a crawl (like 5-10mph). But of course, since I know there are kids around in this area of the neighborhood, I never speed there.

I go slow (often under the speed limit) on streets where despite a high speed limit (35-40) there are houses very close to the street and tight turns.

It's all about common sense and paying attention. I've never come remotely close to a situation where I have so much as startled a pedestrian. Except in downtown Boston... people are asking to get killed the way they cross streets. I am very nervous driving downtown. I always feel like there could be a drunken college kid comming out of nowhere. Of course, it is their classmates who are speeding like maniacs on SUV's. :rolleyes:

Melissa
05-11-2005, 08:13 AM
I am extremely cautious in residential areas, especially here in housing where small children run loose. :banghead: I can't believe how irresponsible some parents are, but that's a whole other thread in itself. The speed limit in here is 10mph and I rarely see it followed.

In residential areas, I follow the posted speed limit, if not even go a tad slower.

As most of you know, I am child-free.

killerdeck
05-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Child-free and watch speed.

Optimus Prime
05-11-2005, 11:56 AM
All you ninnies driving slow are purposefully endangering children...you monsters. I drive as fast as possible. Why? Because lowering the actual time a moving vehicle is present in a residential area will obviously lower the likelihood of a child being present on a street at the same time a vehicle is. :eeps:

I speed for the children. :lol:

FC
05-11-2005, 12:51 PM
All you ninnies driving slow are purposefully endangering children...you monsters. I drive as fast as possible. Why? Because lowering the actual time a moving vehicle is present in a residential area will obviously lower the likelihood of a child being present on a street at the same time a vehicle is. :eeps:

:lol:

Roadstergal
05-11-2005, 12:54 PM
And I see idiots on motorcycles all the time. Neither SUVs or motorcycles have a monopoly on assholes who drive them.

But I typically see parents picking up their tykes in cars/vans/SUVs. :?

"I want you to have my children. In fact, they're out in the car if you can take them right now."

Rob
05-11-2005, 01:55 PM
I drive slowly in residential areas that have kids. I didn't just start this behavior b/c a baby is coming, either.

Around here, in my unsuported opinion, the life expectancy of motorcycle drivers is much lower than that of SUV drivers simply b/c the motorcycle drivers are all crazy (and ignoring the mass protection, airbags, and restraint systems). Every single one of them is crazy without exception. :) They all try and split lanes at 40, slide through spots that aren't big enough to hold them, and do other death wish type activities. That is the main reason I don't have a motorcycle. It appears that if you live in California, riding them leads to instanity.

dan
05-11-2005, 02:47 PM
looks like no correlation

Same ratio of speeders to non-speeders in both categories

Doug
05-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Tykes on trikes?

But I typically see parents picking up their tykes in cars/vans/SUVs. :?

"I want you to have my children. In fact, they're out in the car if you can take them right now."

rumatt
05-11-2005, 04:11 PM

Same ratio of liars to non-liars in both categories

Typo corrected.

Plaz
05-11-2005, 04:12 PM

Typo corrected.

:lol: :thumbup:

Roadstergal
05-11-2005, 04:17 PM

Typo corrected.

It's true, though; I go 70 on the freeway, but I don't go over in school zones/residential areas. I get tailgated a LOT for that.

Pinecone
05-11-2005, 04:23 PM
It depends.

No, not whether I have kids. :) I do NOT have kids.

It depends on the neighborhood, time of day, day of week, weather, etc. School day, during school year, lousy weather to be out playing, I will bump it up a bit. Weekends and wevenings, especially nice ones, maybe less than the speed limit.

ff
05-11-2005, 04:34 PM
I go 70 on the freeway, but I don't go over in school zones/residential areas. I get tailgated a LOT for that.

Ditto here. Although my speeds on the highway are typically closer to 80+, depending on what the surrounding traffic is doing.

I usually drive 5 MPH under the speed limit in residential & school areas, and get cars charging up my ass like NASCAR racers all the time. Then they stay right on my tail, which naturally prompts me to slow down even further. :flipoff:

Autarch
05-12-2005, 10:27 AM
My neighborhood is filled with kids. This makes me want to stab you in the neck with a rusty screwdriver if you are speeding.