PDA

View Full Version : Subie dealership visit

Jason C
05-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Just came back from Stevens Creek Subaru, some notes and observations in rough chronological order...

-Walked to the entrance, past a Blue/Gold STi and went straight to an Outback LL Bean.
-Wow, this is a very nice car. They definitely moved the styling inside and out upmarket. Ride height is kinda high though.
-Sat in, examined the interior. I don't know WTF the car rags are saying regarding a junky door close sound and cheap interior materials. They're on crack. This is very, very nice (looks around). And the mag that went on about the *fake* wood? It looked perfectly fine to me. Fucking dash strokers, the lot of them. Too bad so many so-called *enthusiasts* have been influenced to think the same way.

-Went out after popping open the hood. No one has came over to help me yet. Maybe I should have worn an expensive suit.
-Surprisingly logical/uncluttered in the engine compartment. It's nice to know that someone out there is looking out for the tech. I notice that this car uses DBW.
-Went over to glance at the STi. "Market adjustment" - 39k selling price. Who are they fuckin' kidding.
-Went back to the jacked-up wagon. Walking around it when someone finally comes over and offers help. It's a young guy with a black "STi" shirt on, can't be over 25.
-Commented a little about the car, asked almost right away about their future vehicle. Mentioned that the possible addition of HIDs/Navi would make a 2006 very attractive to us.
-Walked over to STi. Casually brought up the "market adjustment" (As compared to the 30k-32k prices a lot of people are getting for STis now) to see what he had to say. He gives me the speech about suggested retail price and how the cars are supposedly worth "more" here in our wonderful state of CA.
-Mentioned to him in polite-but-stark terms about how quickly the Capitol-Mitsubishi 20k-Evo markup picture spread across the Mitsubishi internet boards. Turns out Stevens Creek Mitsubishi, Capitol Mitsubishi, and Stevens Creek Subaru are owned by the same guy! Figures. Talked about how many people were resorting to out-of-state, to which he responded "But a lot of those cars aren't CA legal, and if you want to bring it back here you'll have to legalize them." Right... :rolleyes:

-Talked for quite a while after that, turns out he's a general enthusiast too. We discussed the 95 M3 parked outside, what BMW's we liked, the new styling direction, Evo vs STi, a crapped-out WRX tranny in their shop (which we went to), STi color preferences, etc. Guy was obviously into his mechanical stuff but after I made a remark about the STi underhood ("Ooh, they mark High and Low sides on the AC fitting caps! How convenient!) he said "Well I know some of my things I need to know, but man, you're just covering all this stuff that's way beyond me." I didn't tell him what I do when I'm not visiting dealerships. :)

Outback: Overall, I fit well in this car. It has a low gloss, very subdued/polished air about it, almost as if it's not trying very hard to impress and is relying on general fit and attention to detail. Jacked-up look is not to my taste, but man they've taken this wayyyyy upscale. Steering wheel has imprinted MOMO on the bottom spoke, and kicks the ass out of anything BMW is putting in the E60/E65/E90. It was incredibly nice. A high-quality piece, and I'm not sure if someone could justify the more expensive Euro-Estates, especially if they weren't driving stick.

STi: I ended up liking this car a bit more than I thought I would, and I was already inclined to be receptive towards it. I fit very well in it. The revised interior is nice, though they should have put the Recaros with the beefier side bolsters in - I could feel the OEM bolsters immediately give way a bit when I was going in, not good. Nothing like the Evo's body-cast level of support. Hood scoop is WAY more prominent inside the car, it looks as though the hood is growing a ginormous blister or something. Funny thing, it didn't look THAT big from outside the car. Spoiler takes a great whackin' slice out of the rear view FOV. Steering wheel again is quite nice, even better than the one in the Outback. Perfect diameter and feel. Clutch throw was longer than I expected. I commented to the guy about it actually - my puzzlement over why BMW doesn't offer massive Brembos (or multi-piston equivalent), forged wheels, and the like on most of their Motorsport models, while the STi/EVO can get them for a half (or even close to a third!) of the MSRP. Maybe not regular BMWs, but come on! ///M? Guess ///Marketing really is a more accurate description.

The showroom STi was Blue with Gold wheels, the combo that I favor the least. Yet I must say, it looked nowhere near as vulgar in person as it does in any pics. The Blue looked toned down, even the gold was more of a dull subdued gold. Must have been the lighting.

Last note: Commented about test driving the STi. He immediately brought up how the dealership was very picky about letting anyone test driving STis, to which I replied "Oh, I'm not going to drive it today. But when the time comes, I'll drive it, along with the Evo and anything else I'm considering. These are 30k Mitsubishis and Subarus. They are not Ferrari Enzos, and I will drive them before signing or forking over anything." To which he had no response other than to agree.

rumatt
05-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Last note: Commented about test driving the STi. He immediately brought up how the dealership was very picky about letting anyone test driving STis, to which I replied "Oh, I'm not going to drive it today. But when the time comes, I'll drive it, along with the Evo and anything else I'm considering. These are 30k Mitsubishis and Subarus. They are not Ferrari Enzos, and I will drive them before signing or forking over anything." To which he had no response other than to agree.

If we have to teach one salesman at a time...

Jason C
05-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Just did a search for this dealership on NASIOC, man... reviews are brutal! :lol:

I'm just glad I didn't run into this guy named "Mohammed" who's supposedly their scum of a sales manager.

ADDED:

Stevens Creek Subaru is owned by the same fools who own Capitol Mitsubishi, the stealership that put a $20000 markup on all of their EVO 8's when they came out.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

John V
05-10-2005, 10:36 AM
I'll add my two cents.

I autocrossed a Legacy GT (stick, 2.5L turbo) sedan late last year. I came away with the same impression about the interior - Subaru has really stepped up their game. I liked the layout and design a lot more than I do the E90, which I had opportunity to check out a bit at Russel (scum of the earth themselves) last night. The Legacy looked cleaner, and the materials had a nicer feel to them. The E90 has the same weird extra-rough-grain vinyl dash that the Z4 does. It .. feels .. icky.

Great power in the Legacy. Turbo lag wasn't too bad. The real downer was the steering. The car is wholly unacceptable for performance driving because the power steering can't keep up in slaloms! ;) It would go from assist to no-assist mid corner. Very disconcerting.

But the overall feel of the car was very nice - it would make a great family hauler, if I had a family to haul. ;)

FC
05-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Outback: Overall, I fit well in this car. It has a low gloss, very subdued/polished air about it, almost as if it's not trying very hard to impress and is relying on general fit and attention to detail. Jacked-up look is not to my taste, but man they've taken this wayyyyy upscale. Steering wheel has imprinted MOMO on the bottom spoke, and kicks the ass out of anything BMW is putting in the E60/E65/E90. It was incredibly nice. A high-quality piece, and I'm not sure if someone could justify the more expensive Euro-Estates, especially if they weren't driving stick.

That's why we're going with the Subaru vs any euro wagon. The taller ride, tires, etc are a benefit here and in Canada.

I know H-4's are smooth, but I drove the 2.5 H-4 (in the impreza Outback sport) and is was horribly unrefined compared to the H-6 and of course, any decent I-6 (like my 330i and my ex 190E 2.6).

The steering wheel has real wood, but the trim on the sides of the center console is fake.

Of medium-size family wagons to be driven in winter, nothing can touch this subaru if you don't mind a slushie.

Jason C
05-10-2005, 11:49 AM
I think this pic gives a good impression on how huge it is:

http://www.tuningnews.net/gallery/subaru-impreza-sti/03.jpg

Except that when you're in the driver seat, it seems about 2x as big.

Rob
05-10-2005, 01:29 PM
:eeps:

I just can't figure out what I am missing. Every time I check one of these cars out, I walk away wondering what everyone seems to see in them. But you all love them. I must just be blind about them for some reason.

FC
05-10-2005, 01:59 PM
:eeps:

I just can't figure out what I am missing. Every time I check one of these cars out, I walk away wondering what everyone seems to see in them. But you all love them. I must just be blind about them for some reason.

It's called yuppie-itis. :P

Jason C
05-11-2005, 12:57 PM
So the plot thickens. :P

Quote from Subaru Santa Cruz:

Sti $30,955 + T&L
No info on the '06s yet
VDC $31,600 + T&L

Hmm... :scratch:

Jason C
05-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Hello,

As far as I know the 2006 Legacy GT will remain with the 2.5 Turbo. Navigation will be available, HID lights will not. The VDC, GT, and STI are totally different cars. The VDC is our luxury car, the GT is a sport touring car, and the STI is raw and fast. I had an STI but did not track it enough to make me want to keep it as a daily driver. On the track though it is awesome. If you want one I can sell you one for about 31,500. If you want a 2005 Outback or GT I can sell you one for under Invoice so the savings over a 2006 will be significant.

Sincerely,
Carlsen Subaru

ayn
05-11-2005, 01:53 PM
I had no problems test driving STi and Evo, just tell them you're looking at the other than they'll do anything to show you why one is "better" than another. LOL... I did end up ordering their first MR though...

--Andrew

lemming
05-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Hello,

As far as I know the 2006 Legacy GT will remain with the 2.5 Turbo. Navigation will be available, HID lights will not. The VDC, GT, and STI are totally different cars. The VDC is our luxury car, the GT is a sport touring car, and the STI is raw and fast. I had an STI but did not track it enough to make me want to keep it as a daily driver. On the track though it is awesome. If you want one I can sell you one for about 31,500. If you want a 2005 Outback or GT I can sell you one for under Invoice so the savings over a 2006 will be significant.

Sincerely,
Carlsen Subaru

am thrilled for you, man. you finally found a decent dealership out there.

Jason C
05-12-2005, 01:30 AM
Hello,

Sincerely,
Carlsen Subaru

am thrilled for you, man. you finally found a decent dealership out there.

Two (or three), as a matter of fact. Both Santa Cruz and Carlsen have very high ratings on I-Club. Thanks! :)

Livermore Subie also had this to say:

2005 Outback VDC would be $30299.00 plus tax and lic after rebate
2005 STi would be $30999.00 plus tax and lic
On 2006 VDC and LL Bean Outback's there is talk of Navi.
May 18th Subaru is rolling out the all new B9 Tribeca. This SUV will have Navi and DVD.
Go to Subaru.com for more info. Thank you so much for the email and feel free to come by anytime.

ZBB
05-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Turns out Stevens Creek Mitsubishi, Capitol Mitsubishi, and Stevens Creek Subaru are owned by the same guy! Figures.

Speaking of Capitol Mitsubishi... When I lived in San Jose, I was out car shopping because I needed a car (I was a month into my first job, and I was using a borrowed family car that my sister came and took a way -- so I literally didn't have a car). I got a ride over to the Capitol area dealerships, and was walking from store to store to do test drives and start talking about prices.

At Capitol Mitsubishi, I walked in asking to do a test drive of the Eclipse (the 2nd gen was in its 2nd year I think). They immediately started trying to get me to name a monthly payment price that I was willing to pay (even before doing the test drive). I told them I'd be happy with $1 a month, but I'm not talking price now -- just want a test drive. It took them about 10 minutes to finally say yes to the test drive (all while they were trying to get me to sign a lease right away -- no interest at all to find out if I was buying, leasing, or financing). So I was pissed. Finally get in the car and decide that even if I like it, I was going to find another dealer. 1/4 mile away from the dealership, I decide I didn't like the car. Since we were heading towards my apartment, I pulled into a gas station that was down the street, told the sales guy that test drive was over, and for him to tell his manager that they would never get a sale from me, and got out.

I ended up buying a Honda Accord a couple days later -- actually rode my bike to the dealership to buy the car. They had an advertised special that fit what I needed (decent car, great price). No hassle sales approach -- I had to approach them to initiate the discussion. Since Capitol Mitsu was across the street -- I pulled in, asked to see the GSM and told him that his team lost a sale due to their sales tactics, got back in my car (that had my bike in the trunk). I really enjoyed that...

Jason C
05-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Since Capitol Mitsu was across the street -- I pulled in, asked to see the GSM and told him that his team lost a sale due to their sales tactics, got back in my car (that had my bike in the trunk). I really enjoyed that...

:lol:

And when did you live in SJ? You gave a vague timeframe with the Eclipse (but I'm no Mitsubishi expert, I have to say). :P

ZBB
05-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Since Capitol Mitsu was across the street -- I pulled in, asked to see the GSM and told him that his team lost a sale due to their sales tactics, got back in my car (that had my bike in the trunk). I really enjoyed that...

:lol:

And when did you live in SJ? You gave a vague timeframe with the Eclipse (but I'm no Mitsubishi expert, I have to say). :P

Just realized I didn't give a time. I lived in SJ from April '97 to Jan '99. The experience above was in late May of '97.

I guess I should give the end of the story. The Accord was a 2 year lease (and it was a quite a deal -- ~$160/month including tax and <$1500 due at drive-off). When I moved out of San Jose, i was taking a job that was 100% travel. I wouldn't need a car, so I decided to turn the car in early. Since I had ridden a bike in to the dealership to buy the car, I only thought it appropriate to drop the car off at the dealership, pull my suitcase out of the trunk and ask them to call me a taxi, so I could go to the airport. Oh, and I just paid off the unused ~4 months of the lease. That Accord was essentailly a long term rental!!!