PDA

View Full Version : "Solstice already being produced" (pic)

Jason C
05-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Seems like the plant decided to pick up on assembly. Not sure, but it seems like the fascia fitment is fixed. Man, I hope they do get them in early to the dealers. I hope that they talked about the late delivery just so that people didn't get their hopes too far up.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=685

Hmm... :scratch:

(EDIT: Better close-ups)

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=686

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=687

TD
05-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Interesting...

I'm glad they're building it even if I can't imagine buying one.

lemming
05-07-2005, 02:03 PM
am definitely going to get one just to try them out. but i am waiting for the supercharged versions.

it won't be hard to turn it around if i don't like it.

Jason C
05-07-2005, 02:28 PM

Ah yes, the essential gameplan is already forming for the chronic waffler. :P

lemming
05-07-2005, 03:08 PM

Ah yes, the essential gameplan is already forming for the chronic waffler. :P

'difference is the waffling for me is post-purchase. less waffling upfront. still waffling.

clyde
05-07-2005, 06:31 PM
I really can't wait to drive one

Jason C
05-08-2005, 02:31 AM

It will probably (if GM gets it right) feel very *balanced*.

(Of course, some would say a balanced car is a car that doesn't have enough horsepower :P )

lemming
05-08-2005, 07:40 AM

(Of course, some would say a balanced car is a car that doesn't have enough horsepower :P )

the shifter won't be as nice, but i'm guessing that it will feel very much like the current gen. miata dynamically but i bet they won't get the shock valving right in the first year.

blee
05-08-2005, 08:45 AM
That car is freakin' sweet. If I were employed at the moment, I would snap that up.

lemming
05-08-2005, 03:26 PM
it shouldn't be long (with GM's production capacity) before those pile up on dealer lots.

that's my guess.

hope i'm wrong, but i am not sure if people will buy into the car.

blee
05-08-2005, 03:58 PM
it shouldn't be long (with GM's production capacity) before those pile up on dealer lots.

that's my guess.

Well, that'll make 'em cheap, anyway...

lemming
05-08-2005, 04:13 PM

that's my guess.

Well, that'll make 'em cheap, anyway...

i'm going to wait until they're widely available at GMS pricing (the SS versions). but i'm fully on board with a moneyed deposit to get one, which is more than i can say re: my z06 deposit.

clyde
05-08-2005, 04:42 PM

the shifter won't be as nice, but i'm guessing that it will feel very much like the current gen. miata dynamically but i bet they won't get the shock valving right in the first year.

Mazda didn't get the shock valving right either. :eeps:

Jason C
05-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Website updated:

http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/index.jsp

Now let's see how the dealers treat this new, hot product. :eeps:

Nick M3
05-12-2005, 02:56 PM

Mazda didn't get the shock valving right either. :eeps:

I think we all wish we were lucky enough to get monotube shocks fromt he factory. Nothing like free lowering with a shock change.

Jason C
05-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Damn, it looks so nice. When can I get the supercharger from the factory?

http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/images/bg_image16.jpg

http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/images/bg_image6.jpg

http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/images/bg_image7.jpg

http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/images/bg_image10.jpg

http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/images/bg_image18.jpg

blee
05-12-2005, 03:04 PM
That's so sexy. God, it makes me want to drop out. (That, and my orgo final is tomorrow.)

The front end is nice, but I *really* adore the lines on the back half. Starting with the headrests, sliding down the '62 Vette-ish tail lights, fading to the rear bumper. Drool.

SteveM
05-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Hmm, is it just me or does the grille opening look like its slid down the nose of the car about 18 inches too low?

From those shots it just looks funny. I really like the back view though.

I forgot are they FWD or RWD?

TD
05-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Hmm, is it just me or does the grille opening look like its slid down the nose of the car about 18 inches too low?

It's RWD.

And I think I really like it.

Hmmm....

blee
05-12-2005, 03:08 PM

As God intended. When you hit the right pedal, the correct pair of tires will light up (perhaps with the help of a supercharger).

FC
05-12-2005, 03:13 PM
It's a sad day when Pontiac will offer an LSD on thier 20K roadster, but BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Porsche wont offer one on their 40K+ roadsters.

:rolleyes:

I like the car a lot, but I prefer the Saturn's front end. It's too "early-euro-roadster" for me.

SteveM
05-12-2005, 03:18 PM

As God intended. When you hit the right pedal, the correct pair of tires will light up (perhaps with the help of a supercharger).

Cool, I'll reserve judgment on the front end treatment until I see one in person. Hopefully GM won't F it up as bad as they usually do.

Any guesses on what the 'market adjustment' will be when they first arrive? I'm guessing $5K.

Jason C
05-12-2005, 03:20 PM
I like the car a lot, but I prefer the Saturn's front end. It's too "early-euro-roadster" for me.

And I think it will sell very nicely for this (and other) reasons, especially since I've heard that Lutz and Co have decided to cap production at 20k per year. That would be a welcome break from:

-New car comes out with XXXXX production #s
-Overwhelming initial demand swamps the crap outta the dealers
-Dealers beg for more
-GM (or other company) overreacts and cranks production WAY up
-First-on-the-block guys get their share, market now oversaturated
-Rebates, incentives, etc to shit until redesign

Wasn't it Enzo Ferrari (or someone like that) that had the philosophy of finding just how many you could sell, and building one less than that number?

Jason C
05-12-2005, 03:23 PM

I think these two pics show it off better:

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2006/pontiac.solstice/05.pontiac.solstice.act.500.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2006/pontiac.solstice/05.pontiac.solstice.f34.500.jpg

SteveM
05-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Yep, those look much better. I think maybe the distant shots were causing some perspective problems (to my eyes anyway). The car still looks awesome from behind, not so much when viewed from the front.

dan
05-12-2005, 04:02 PM
It's a sad day when Pontiac will offer an LSD on thier 20K roadster, but BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Porsche wont offer one on their 40K+ roadsters.

I'm fine without an LSD on my roadster

Rob
05-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Cool, I'll reserve judgment on the front end treatment until I see one in person. Hopefully GM won't F it up as bad as they usually do.

Any guesses on what the 'market adjustment' will be when they first arrive? I'm guessing $5K.

Imo, the Sky is better looking b/c of the front end. I didn't like it much at the auto show in January, although it's not bad enough to keep me from buying the car if I want one.

$5k markup is 25% of the cost of the car. That's pretty hefty - if they do manage to get that, I doubt they will be able to keep it there for long. My Caddy dealer sold the V for MSRP on day 1. Hopefully they will do the same thing for the Solstice (Cadillac/Pontiac/Buick dealership).

FC
05-12-2005, 04:52 PM

That's great. :thumbup:

...but what does that have to do with what I said? :? You don't pretend to imply that because YOU are happy with your ELISE, then it is not necessary to have one and the above automakers should not bother offering an LSD, do you?

Jason C
05-12-2005, 04:54 PM

...but what does that have to do with what I said? :? You don't pretend to imply that because YOU are happy with your ELISE, then it is not necessary to have one and the above automakers should not bother offering an LSD, do you?

Nah, it's just aty pimping his Elise, as usual. :tongue:

blee
05-12-2005, 04:58 PM

It's called post-whoring

Jason C
05-12-2005, 05:07 PM

It's called post-whoring

huh

Plaz
05-12-2005, 05:12 PM
It is a sexy little bugger. I'm impressed!

blee
05-12-2005, 05:33 PM
It is a sexy little bugger. I'm impressed!

I haven't had this kind of gut reaction to a car in ages. Probably not since my first midyear Vette sighting. I mean, other cars have impressed me a lot, but this car gets a big fat A+ in the styling department. And I don't even love the front.

Damn, i really have to get back to studying. WTF is wrong with me?

RMR
05-12-2005, 05:34 PM
That is one great styled car! It reminds me of a TVR. Very close to a TVR Tamora or a shrunken Tuscan 2.

I'm really liking this thing. Let just pray GM gets the driving dynamics right and this does not become another Fiero experiment.

SCA
05-12-2005, 06:01 PM
It's a Pontiac! :flame:

blee
05-12-2005, 06:17 PM

I like Pontiacs. :D

Jason C
05-12-2005, 06:19 PM

http://www.socsci.umn.edu/~jkoepp/banhim.jpg

zach
05-12-2005, 06:37 PM

Me too.

lemming
05-12-2005, 07:41 PM
can't wait for the offical reviews to roll in; am sure that they are embargo'd at the moment.

i don't think people realize how expensive a brand new miata is (about 26k) nowadays.

SteveM
05-13-2005, 12:55 AM
Yesterday, on my way home I followed three interesting cars (single file ahead of me, it's a two-lane road); Lotus Elise, Ferrari of some kind, and what looked like an Avanti coupe.

The rear of the Avanti (I think that's what it was) had lots of curved glass. They were obviously traveling together as they all turned left at Cook's Corner (a little-used two lane road).

edit: I now think the Avanti was an Aston of some sort.

John V
05-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Not having an LSD in the Elise is fine for folks who don't drive them fast on R-compound tires at autocrosses. That's the only time that particular issue will come into play. Unless you drive your Elise in the snow... :?

I love the Solstice, but I prefer the Sky's styling better. I would buy one if it had more power. Did someone say something about a supercharger? Though, by the time GM does that, Mazda will probably have decided about a supercharged / turbocharged RX-8. . . and that would kill any Solstice thoughts right there.

The car that really floored me when I saw it for the first time on the road was the C6 Corvette. One showed up in my neighborhood back in October. It's yellow. It makes me want to take out a home equity loan . . .

lemming
05-14-2005, 09:50 AM
the supercharged solstics is supposed to be around 200-220hp; same for the Sky. my $$$ down is on a Sky because i like the opel lines of it better. since the car really isn't for me, i am neutral about either.