PDA

View Full Version : I need a quick education..... Mustang.

lip277
05-04-2005, 11:15 PM
I was talking to my Mom just a while back and she has some 'extra' money available... long story. Lets just say my Dad was very well insured before he passed away last year.

Well... She wants me to tell her what kind of Mustang convertible she should get. :) This would be in addition to the E38 she has. Gotta have that weekend car, you know!

OK - I'm pretty sure it should be at least the GT but don't know what the thoughts are regarding the other options/packages that are available. I'm going to stop by a dealer when I get a chance but want to go in with some basis of knowledge.....

Any help or hints are welcome!

Thanks-

clyde
05-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Options are pretty limited and pretty self explanatory and depend on personal preference. Try buildin a car at fordvehicles.com/mustang f you haven't already.

I would reccomend a Premium model over the Deluxe, though, as it comes with the middle range stereo which is probably the minimally acceptable one in a convertible based soley on power. :dunno:

It must be a GT.

JST
05-05-2005, 08:52 AM
I was talking to my Mom just a while back and she has some 'extra' money available... long story. Lets just say my Dad was very well insured before he passed away last year.

Well... She wants me to tell her what kind of Mustang convertible she should get. :) This would be in addition to the E38 she has. Gotta have that weekend car, you know!

OK - I'm pretty sure it should be at least the GT but don't know what the thoughts are regarding the other options/packages that are available. I'm going to stop by a dealer when I get a chance but want to go in with some basis of knowledge.....

Any help or hints are welcome!

Thanks-

I would never buy anything other than a GT, not let the people close to me buy a V6.

But.

She should really drive the V6, if she's not a total performance freak. It may satisfy her, and it's usefully cheaper than the 8 (and the dealers are probably more willing to deal on them).

lip277
05-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the thoughts....

I'll try to get to a dealer this weekend and see what they look like in person.

Regarding the V6 - It's funny how that engine has about the same power as the original 5.0 GT's had back in the mid 80's if I recall correctly. I know she would like the V8, but... the V6 may be an option as well.

I don't think she is in any hurry so availability isn't really an issue. We tend to order our cars anyway so we are all used to that. I think I waited 6 months for my Yukon (4 months of it waiting for the demand to drop so I could get a 'deal' and 2 months for it to be built)

Thanks again

JST
05-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the thoughts....

I'll try to get to a dealer this weekend and see what they look like in person.

Regarding the V6 - It's funny how that engine has about the same power as the original 5.0 GT's had back in the mid 80's if I recall correctly. I know she would like the V8, but... the V6 may be an option as well.

I don't think she is in any hurry so availability isn't really an issue. We tend to order our cars anyway so we are all used to that. I think I waited 6 months for my Yukon (4 months of it waiting for the demand to drop so I could get a 'deal' and 2 months for it to be built)

Thanks again

Based on what I've read, you probably won't be able to get an order for an 05 GT built at this point; it will likely have to be an 06. I know that there are several thousand orders already in the pipe for 05s that won't get done in 05.

OTOH, as clyde notes the options aren't really that numerous, so the chance that you could find a dealer stock car that matches your preferences (or that such a car will turn up) are pretty good.

I haven't tried to negotiate a deal, but I wouldn't expect much, if any, discount off of MSRP.

lip277
05-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Right.

It may be that we end up getting a stock car or maybe it will end up being ordered.

The $$ aspect of it is secondary to the aspect of her getting the car in the first place.....

(She has hardly left the house since my Dad passed away... If she wants a 'fun' car hopefully this will encourage her to get out and back in circulation with her friends and going places.... Maybe....)

lip277
05-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Well-
I visited a couple of dealers yesterday.

Mustangs are real scarce.
Mustang GT's are even rarer.
Convertibles of any flavor rarer yet.
Conv GT's? Yeah - right.

The 2005 build is sold out and they are working on 2006 schedule.

I did see one GT Conv but it had a second sticker for greater than $10,000 AMV as well as some other 'extra cost' crap.

We'll wait till the dust settles down (maybe by the fall) and see what happens. I knew these cars were popular, but I had no idea that they were this far out on orders.

It took some arm twisting to even get a brochure.

Oh well - Good things come to those that wait.
:thumbup:

JST
05-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Well-
I visited a couple of dealers yesterday.

Mustangs are real scarce.
Mustang GT's are even rarer.
Convertibles of any flavor rarer yet.
Conv GT's? Yeah - right.

The 2005 build is sold out and they are working on 2006 schedule.

I did see one GT Conv but it had a second sticker for greater than $10,000 AMV as well as some other 'extra cost' crap.

We'll wait till the dust settles down (maybe by the fall) and see what happens. I knew these cars were popular, but I had no idea that they were this far out on orders.

It took some arm twisting to even get a brochure.

Oh well - Good things come to those that wait.
:thumbup:

I don't know if fall is going to do it. The 06 build starts in early August; the first couple of months of 06 orders will be, I think, entirely filled by frustrated 05 customers. The convertibles are going to be particularly rare; my guess is that the first time you'll be able to get any sort of reasonable deal will be the end of next winter, about 12 months from now, and that would probably be on a dealer stock car.

OTOH, Ford is ramping up production, and I think will build an extra 50K Mustangs in 06 as against 05, so maybe production will catch up to demand by the (late) fall, or early winter.

Popular car. I was sure, when they came out, that the flurry would have died down by spring when I was replacing the M3. I was well and truly wrong.

bren
05-06-2005, 11:52 AM
I pass by a Ford dealer every day....they have several convertibles out front. Not that it does you any good on the other side of the country.

lip277
05-06-2005, 12:42 PM
My Mom is in the Monterey area so I don't know what the availability is anyway. (I'm up in Seattle)
Either way - No great rush (and maybe she'll even change her mind... who knows)