PDA

View Full Version : Claying product from Griots...

mquetel
11-02-2003, 10:59 AM
Is this a good idea or a bad one? Anyone have experience with using this method? :dunno:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10631

http://www.griotsgarage.com/images/products/lg/10631_LG.jpg

ayn
11-02-2003, 11:13 AM
I was gonna get that but quite a few detailing experts here (well the 'fest back then) told me not to... the clay bar is awesome though, but nobody liked the machine claying pad...

--Andrew

RKT BMR
11-02-2003, 03:09 PM
The clay holder pad is a waste of money. Got one, tried it out, and now it sits on the shelf. In fact, pay the shipping, and you can have mine. It's using valuable shelf space, but I just can't bring myself to toss it, given what I paid for it.

Three things that aren't good about it: No tactile feedback... This is the biggest one. You have no idea how dirty, and whether or not your getting clean, the surface. The typical "by hand" method allows you to feel where the clay is catching, then the point at which the surface has been successfully cleaned as you go back and forth, back and forth, over the trouble spot. The clay easily slips out of the cup, fouling the foam pad and smearing on the paint surface. Ironically, this problem only gets worse and worse the more lubricant you use -- to try and avoid having the clay bind on the surface. It's wasteful. A small amount of clay, properly used, can do the entire car. I usually break off about 20-25% of the bar, use it to clay the whole car, then discard. This thing requires the entire claybar, and then it's contaminated, and should be discarded.

SpaceMonk
11-02-2003, 03:42 PM
The clay holder pad is a waste of money. Got one, tried it out, and now it sits on the shelf. In fact, pay the shipping, and you can have mine. It's using valuable shelf space, but I just can't bring myself to toss it, given what I paid for it.

Three things that aren't good about it: No tactile feedback... This is the biggest one. You have no idea how dirty, and whether or not your getting clean, the surface. The typical "by hand" method allows you to feel where the clay is catching, then the point at which the surface has been successfully cleaned as you go back and forth, back and forth, over the trouble spot. The clay easily slips out of the cup, fouling the foam pad and smearing on the paint surface. Ironically, this problem only gets worse and worse the more lubricant you use -- to try and avoid having the clay bind on the surface. It's wasteful. A small amount of clay, properly used, can do the entire car. I usually break off about 20-25% of the bar, use it to clay the whole car, then discard. This thing requires the entire claybar, and then it's contaminated, and should be discarded.
Send it back to Griots for a full refund. That's what I did with mine.

mquetel
11-02-2003, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Since you mention it, I can understand the importance of tactile feedback.

SteveM
11-02-2003, 06:01 PM
That's a good idea to only use 25% or so of the clay and then discard it. I had some Griot's clay that I hadn't used for a year or so and it got real gooey to the point of it almost being unusable.

RKT BMR
11-03-2003, 05:06 AM
That's a good idea to only use 25% or so of the clay and then discard it. I had some Griot's clay that I hadn't used for a year or so and it got real gooey to the point of it almost being unusable.
Thanks for the props... I can't take too much credit, though, as it's just stuff I learned from others around the net ;)

I'm curious about your gooey clay, though... That sounds really strange! I've never had that happen. I follow the instuctions on the jar, and store it with some Speedshine in the container. The stuff is not water soluable (as anyone who has ever tried to remove residue from their paint can attest!), and doesn't seem to be "speedshine soluable" either. I've never had mine go gooey on me -- quite the opposite... had a wrapped, unused bar dry out and get too hard. :dunno:

RKT BMR
11-03-2003, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Since you mention it, I can understand the importance of tactile feedback.
I'd say it's about the most important aspect of the claying process!

SteveM
11-03-2003, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the props... I can't take too much credit, though, as it's just stuff I learned from others around the net ;)

I'm curious about your gooey clay, though... That sounds really strange! I've never had that happen. I follow the instuctions on the jar, and store it with some Speedshine in the container. The stuff is not water soluable (as anyone who has ever tried to remove residue from their paint can attest!), and doesn't seem to be "speedshine soluable" either. I've never had mine go gooey on me -- quite the opposite... had a wrapped, unused bar dry out and get too hard. :dunno:

I had it stored in the plastic tub with about 3/8" of speedshine in the bottom of the container. I left it this way in the garage cabinet for 9-12 months or so. When I went to use it, it was the consistency of freshly chewed bubble gum. It stuck to my hands and was darn near impossible to get off. Needless to say, I didn't use that clay, I just tossed it. I had a slightly newer piece stored the same way, and it was gooey, but not nearly as bad as the older tub. I threw it away after I used it last also.

Rob
11-03-2003, 12:11 PM
I have one of those too. It does the same thing Rkt's does. Sits on a shelf. You can have it.