PDA

View Full Version : Ban Smoking while Driving?

ZBB
05-03-2005, 04:27 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7721034/

:bigpimp:

Optimus Prime
05-03-2005, 04:33 PM

:flame:

The only time smoking is a distraction at all is when you're lighting up or when the not-yet-out butt flies back in the window and lodges inbetween your crotch and seat, burning the crap outta your new jeans while you furiously try to dig it out and not rear end the old lady in front of you... :eeps:

rumatt
05-03-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm tired of seeing smokers throw cigarette butts out the windows. Why they think that's not trash, I don't get.

ZBB
05-03-2005, 04:48 PM

The only time smoking is a distraction at all is when you're lighting up or when the not-yet-out butt flies back in the window and lodges inbetween your crotch and seat, burning the crap outta your new jeans while you furiously try to dig it out and not rear end the old lady in front of you... :eeps:

Speaking from experience? :devcool:

Optimus Prime
05-03-2005, 04:53 PM

Speaking from experience? :devcool:

:bigpimp: I used to smoke in college. I had a frequent Columbus to Chicago drive that was about as boring as it gets, especially when it was round trip in the same day. Smoking seemed to help.

I quit before I graduated.

Roadstergal
05-03-2005, 06:15 PM
I'm tired of seeing smokers throw cigarette butts out the windows. Why they think that's not trash, I don't get.

Not to mention ash.

The thing that's between your seats? It's called an ashtray for a reason. That's where your shit goes.

Ashholes.

clyde
05-03-2005, 07:50 PM

Not to mention ash.

The thing that's between your seats? It's called an ashtray for a reason. That's where your shit goes.

Ashholes.

No, your shit goes in the shitter. It's called the shitter for a reason. That's where your shit goes.

clyde
05-03-2005, 07:54 PM

There are other times...

trying to ash out the crack between the window and the frame when it's raining or real cold. There's the times when a piece of ash (or cherry) flies into an eye, not to mention the occasional wisp of smoke that can suddenly irritate an eye. Searching for your lighter. Trying to use matches with a window down when you can't find the lighter.

Optimus Prime
05-03-2005, 08:09 PM

There are other times...

trying to ash out the crack between the window and the frame when it's raining or real cold. There's the times when a piece of ash (or cherry) flies into an eye, not to mention the occasional wisp of smoke that can suddenly irritate an eye. Searching for your lighter. Trying to use matches with a window down when you can't find the lighter.

umm, ok. I didn't smoke THAT much. :oops:

JST
05-03-2005, 09:02 PM

Not to mention ash.

Ashholes.

You put out a cigarette in the ashtray, the car reeks of nasty old cigarette forever. You toss it out the window, and the car smells hardly at all.

Not defending. Just explaining.

Plaz
05-03-2005, 09:04 PM
You put out a cigarette in the ashtray, the car reeks of nasty old cigarette forever. You toss it out the window, and the car smells hardly at all.

The man speaks the truth. :eeps:

clyde
05-03-2005, 09:47 PM

The man speaks the truth. :eeps:

Well, not so much "hardly at all" but more like it doesn't smell like stale old cigarettes to a smoker.

After moving to CA, I started using soft drink bottles with caps as butt containers except for when it was wet outside. I was always paranoid about starting a brush fire.

Plaz
05-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Well, not so much "hardly at all" but more like it doesn't smell like stale old cigarettes to a smoker.

After moving to CA, I started using soft drink bottles with caps as butt containers except for when it was wet outside. I was always paranoid about starting a brush fire.

It's the only littering I ever do, and I do feel bad about it. Just not bad enough about it to stop doing it.

I rarely smoke in my car. Only when I've been stuck in traffic for a couple of hours, and the addiction gets the better of me. Usually when en route to one of the tunnels. And never with family in the car.

I smoked with reckless disregard for the car in my old Mazda, and used the ashtray. That car got truly disgusting. I never smoked in my 330 in CA.

rumatt
05-03-2005, 11:11 PM
It's the only littering I ever do, and I do feel bad about it. Just not bad enough about it to stop doing it.

You're one of them! :shock:

:flame: :flame: :flipoff: :flipoff: :twisted: :twisted: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:)

Plaz
05-03-2005, 11:14 PM

Yeah. I especially feel really bad for all the pedestrians walking along the Turnpike in Kearny.

BahnBaum
05-03-2005, 11:35 PM
I always thought birds liked to eat them.

Alex

clyde
05-03-2005, 11:46 PM

Alex

I thought they just gave the drunk drivers something pick up while doing their community service.

Optimus Prime
05-03-2005, 11:48 PM

Alex

I thought they just gave the drunk drivers something pick up while doing their community service.

:lol:

rumatt
05-04-2005, 12:08 AM

Oh shit. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JST
05-04-2005, 08:14 AM

Yeah. I especially feel really bad for all the pedestrians walking along the Turnpike in Kearny.

Getting hit by a lit butt would probably improve matters for a pedestrian on the Turnpike in Kearny.

ff
05-04-2005, 09:10 AM
It's not very often that I see someone smoking a fag while driving, and bobbing all over the road. Doesn't appear to require the same concentration that a cell phone call does. So I guess I don't see any pressing reason to ban the act. There are much bigger fish to fry.

I don't like cigarette butts being thrown out the window either. I consider it littering, and should not be exempt from littering fines. Then again, the butts seem like they'd disintegrate pretty quickly and have almost no impact on the environment. Again, much bigger fish to fry.

clyde
05-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Then again, the butts seem like they'd disintegrate pretty quickly and have almost no impact on the environment.

Actually...

The filters are made up of acetate (plastic) and paper. Plastics generally don't break down very quickly or easily. While the material used in cigarette filters are ultimately biodegradable, it can take a year for one to break down in fresh water, five years in sea water. This is important because most butts wind up in whatever body of water the runoff that picks them up takes them to. To make things even more fun, remember what filters are supposed to do...trap a nasty mix of toxins and chemicals. The mix is pretty soluable. When the filter gets exposed to water, much of it leaks out rather quickly.

I have no idea how it compares to the other nasty stuff that gets picked up and deposited elsewhere, but I can't imagine that it's helpful.

rumatt
05-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Wouldn't the nasty toxins just seep out into the garbage dump, and into our water anyway?

JST
05-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Then again, the butts seem like they'd disintegrate pretty quickly and have almost no impact on the environment.

Actually...

The filters are made up of acetate (plastic) and paper. Plastics generally don't break down very quickly or easily. While the material used in cigarette filters are ultimately biodegradable, it can take a year for one to break down in fresh water, five years in sea water. This is important because most butts wind up in whatever body of water the runoff that picks them up takes them to. To make things even more fun, remember what filters are supposed to do...trap a nasty mix of toxins and chemicals. The mix is pretty soluable. When the filter gets exposed to water, much of it leaks out rather quickly.

I have no idea how it compares to the other nasty stuff that gets picked up and deposited elsewhere, but I can't imagine that it's helpful.

Solution: Bust people for littering unless they switch to unfiltered Pall Malls or Camels.

clyde
05-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Wouldn't the nasty toxins just seep out into the garbage dump, and into our water anyway?

That's not the point.

BahnBaum
Has anyone noticed how many people seem to be smoking in their cars?

Alex

FC
Solution: Bust people for littering unless they switch to unfiltered Pall Malls or Camels.

Don't forget lucky strikes. At my dad's old store, the only people buying unfiltered cigarettes were war vets buying lucky strikes.

clyde
05-04-2005, 09:48 AM
No hipster wannabes buying unfiltered Camels? Weird.

JST
05-04-2005, 09:53 AM

Must not have been any high school students around. Back in the day, we all used to smoke unfilitered cigarettes, you know, 'cause it made us tough.

Player's Navy Cut were especially popular, because those were both unfiltered and extremely expensive.

You know what they've never made, as far as I can tell? Unfiltered Newports. They do make scissors, though.

clyde
05-04-2005, 09:56 AM

Must not have been any high school students around. Back in the day, we all used to smoke unfilitered cigarettes, you know, 'cause it made us tough.

Player's Navy Cut were especially popular, because those were both unfiltered and extremely expensive.

You know what they've never made, as far as I can tell? Unfiltered Newports. They do make scissors, though.

The tough guys (the ones that have spent a few days in the county lockup on outstanding parking tickets) just eat the filters off their 'Pohts before smoking them.

bren
05-04-2005, 10:07 AM
I know some people who used to smoke those. :eeps:

Back in the day, we all used to smoke unfilitered cigarettes, you know, 'cause it made us tough. :lol: :speechle:

FC
05-04-2005, 10:37 AM

Our store was right next to elderly housing/government-sponsored parasite housing, so we got either old people, or "disabled people," or blue-collar folks who mostly bought Marlboros or Kools.

Of course we also had a woman who was the Simpons' crazy cat-lady's twin, and she reeked of all that is foul and nauseating. She bought only Misty lights 100's.

I need to throw up now...